SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Identity Theft?

donna_loomis
13 years ago

Last week I received a package in the mail. The name was NEARLY my name - it had a few letters missing. The box contained an item of clothing that I would not have ordered from a company I have never ordered from. The last 4 idgits of the card they charged was not mine or my DH's. I checked our accounts and that amount had not come from any of them. I called the company and was told that they had suspected fraud, but had shipped the item before they came to that conclusion. I obtained a return shipping label and sent the item back to them.

Then, this weekend I received another package from a different company for DVDs. Again, it had already been paid for and none of my accounts had been charged. DH is calling this company today to arrange return shipping.

What I don't get is that if I am not paying for something, but the packages are coming to my house, how is the person who is doing this getting any benefit? They don't get the package. Is it just enough kicks for them to know that I have to take care of return shipping? And is it really identity theft if it's not really my name?

I have gotten conflicting advice as to how to proceed with this. Do I attempt to file a police report, or will the PD laugh at me?

Do I need to check my credit report?

Any ideas?

Comments (21)