It's Back................Finally

bcskye

For the first time since the pandemic panic, I found Fleischmann's yeast in the jars in a grocery store. I had stopped at WM for something else, but I always check wheneverin a grocery. Almost did a happy dance and bought two jars. Hope they keep up a good supply.

Madonna

SaveComment13Like4
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agmss15

I bought a pound of yeast today. I don’t quite need it yet but I was stocking up today. I also bought 50 pounds of flour - King Arthur Sir Galahad which is all purpose.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bcskye
plllog

Excellent news! Put your spare jar in the freezer. :)

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bcskye
bcskye

Oh, I will be be putting some in the freezer, plllog. I prefer making my own bread and was caught short, but don't plan on that happening again.

Agmss15, I've got a good supply of flour and will keep adding to it. I live on the very top of one of the tallest hills in my area. I like to be prepared and not need to go out if there is snow or ice on the ground.

Madonna

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I checked my "stash" yesterday and thankfully still have plenty.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

I just bought some about a month ago, and stashed it in the freezer, "just in case". Like Madonna, sometimes it's tricky to get out in the winter here, if there's a storm my road doesn't get plowed for two or three days sometimes. I still have bread flour, but I probably should stock up on some AP. I also have lots of wheat berries, so I can grind wheat for flour.

It always seems strange to be talking about winter, when it was just 90F a couple of weeks ago...

Annie

1 Like Save    
cooper8828

I bought a pound last week and just stuck it in the freezer. I don't need it quite yet but will soon and wanted to buy it while it was available.

1 Like Save    
Sherry

Well, y'all have answered my question. You store your yeast in the freezer. All of it or just the "extra"? I have always bought the three pack strip of Fleischmann"s when I needed it and it just stayed in the cabinet. I never kept over two or three strips at a time. Well, this year, that backfired, lol. The oven died at the same time the yeast was hoarded, so that worked out. We used store bought bread and rolls over the summer. I am now the proud owner of lots of strips and a jar!

Do you have to take it out of the freezer before using? Just what you need? I make most yeast breads and rolls, except I buy the sandwich bread hubby likes. I may try a loaf for him, but he is very picky. (Another way of saying set in his ways!)

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Sherry, I buy the one pound packages and pour it into a quart canning jar. It stays in the refrigerator and I've kept it for over a year, it keeps really well when refrigerated. Freezing it will keep it for much, much longer, I've had yeast in the freezer for two years and it was still fine, and then it took me another 6 or 7 months to use it out of the refrigerator, and it was still fine.

Annie

4 Likes Save    
chas045

Like annie, I buy yeast in the pound pack from COSTCO and I store most of it in the freezer again like annie except that I usually end up with one pint canning jar along with the quart. I keep a perhaps 3oz size plastic container with well sealed plastic lid in the fridge. with yeast for the next couple month's use.

The yeast is so light that its temperature is unimportant so direct use from fridge or freezer is fine.

2 Likes Save    
Marilyn_Sue

I got a two pound order of Fleischman's yeast from Sam's Club some weeks back. I was not out but got it and put it in my freezer. Two pounds of it for $4.98 delivered to my porch. Free shipping.

Sue

1 Like Save    
Cloud Swift

We buy Red Star active dry yeast in the 2 pound pack. We keep it in the refrigerator in the pack until we finish the last pack and then in an airtight plastic container. We use an Oxo Pop 1.5 quart container. The lid has a button to press down to expand a gasket for an airtight fit which makes it very convenient to use.

I'm surprised that Annie and Chas need a quart or more than a quart for a 1 pound container.

It takes us about 6 months to go through a 2 pound pack - we just finished using the 2 pounds we opened in March. My husband bakes challah with it nearly every Friday - first rise in the bread machine and second rise in the oven proof mode for a set time. He's very precise about it and doesn't notice any degradation or change in the yeast performance over that time.

1 Like Save    
plllog

I keep a little jar with about a quarter pound in the fridge, and the 2 lb bags in the heavy foil bags they came in, inside a freezer bag.

As to the temperature for baking, if you're doing a long or retarded (in fridge) rise, it doesn't matter what the temperature of the yeast is. If you're doing an hour rise the yeast should be room temperature or close to it. If it's colder the only issue is that it's going to take awhile longer to rise while the yeast warms up, and if you're used to timing the process, like out of the oven before picking up the kids, it can mess up your day.

You can wake up the yeast in your water from the recipe. Make the water lukewarm, but not warmer, stir in the yeast, and put it someplace slightly warm. I use the cable box. :) The box doesn't feel warm to the touch (that would be too warm) but warm enough to make the yeast happy. A friend uses a thin tumbler and puts it in her tea mug after she's drunk the tea. Just a little warm. If your kitchen is warm, you needn't bother with the somewhere slightly warm. Again, it's just to speed things up.

1 Like Save    
donna_in_sask

I have a chamber sealer so I pack yeast into small plastic bags (1/2 cup portions)...it gets stored in the basement pantry.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Midcentury Style Houzz Tour: Back to the ’50s in the Heart of Bordeaux
A great laboratory for ideas, the interior of this house in Bordeaux has been renovated according to 1950s Scandinavian design
Full Story
Life 9 Simple Ways to Savor Summer’s Final Days
Go ahead, ignore the calendar. Stretch out that easygoing, warm-weather feeling with these ideas for indoors and out
Full Story
Organizing How to Finally Organize Your Family Keepsakes
Learn how to sort, document and preserve your treasures’ stories for future generations
Full Story
At Ark Hardwood Flooring, we are defined by our quality of work and our dedication to quality craftsmanship. When... Read More
At Scavolini Store Roseville, we believe that people’s homes are the ultimate expression of who they are. We want... Read More