SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cosmocat_gw

back again.. final? layout decision help

cosmocat
12 years ago

Back again.

Thank you all so much for the earlier input. What I learned more than anything was to slow down and instead of just drawing what fit to make a list of wants/needs. Plus a new contractor. Prioritize. More than anything I need a user friendly layout. I'd like more natural light. Besides that my want list isn't very exciting. I need new. I have a dated orange kitchen, just about anything would help.

I think I've come close to a final layout which is user friendly. Once I get that finalized I can work on the cabinet detail, and without a peninsula I have more room for the little details. So my wants are more of the finished look than things like a beverage center or specific appliances (like the Aga). I'd like some detail, dress up the cabinetry with little with moldings and such. I lean towards island versus peninsulas. Maybe some detail around the sink cabinet and range area. Backsplash focal point behind the range.

I'm hoping for an Aga range in cranberry, but depending on the cabinet color the red of the Aga may clash with the cabinets. Why Aga? So I can fit all my ovens in one space without having to but a double oven elsewhere. And I like the color/style. If I couldn't do cranberry, that might just change my mind! So do I mix colors like wood and painted wood? Don't know. I like walnut cabinets but can be tempted with other.

The exterior of the house is a tudor style, but I'm adding some rustic elements. So I don't want formal, but maybe a rustic elegance. Cabinets, I'm leaning towards walnut. Countertop, typhoon Bordeaux or soapstone - yeah two different colors and styles. Backsplash, brick pattern travertine or some natural stone.

Dining Room wall cabinets: if I put the pantry into the garage, I don't know that the two walls will need the glass cabinets. I could put an arched doorway with a stone trim to match stone pillars.

Earlier option courtesy of rhome: I like this plan and option 3 is very similar, however the pantry changes the refrigerator area.

Option 1&2 are thanks to rhome. These don't have a walk-in pantry, so options 3 and 4 would look similar, just with a pantry. I'm leaning towards Option 3, and I've given options 1&2 here more just as a 3d rendering of what most of it would look like.

Now granted options 3&4 use a bit of constructive creativity, but I would assume instead of moving walls if I placed a doorway in such walls it would be more affordable, doable. So here are my four options. The colored in squares would be stone pillars.

Option 1 - island with no pantry, fridge by garage wall. The dining room glass fronted cabinets would change. The fridge is in a traffic zone.

Option 2 - island with no pantry, fridge by eating area

The fridge flows better in this area, but I don't know that I like the wall that it creates. I can break down that wall a bit and make a mini desk area there too.

Option 3 - Island with walk-in pantry

What I like: Use of existing space, Walk in pantry ;-) Fridge is still in the traffic zone, but may be more accessible to DR.

Option 3a - fridge in location of option 2, but with the pantry in Option 3

Option 4 - Island with walk-in pantry and moving the laundry room door

What I like: better use of laundry and laundry door to outside

What I don't like: moving doorways, not as user friendly use of space

Thanks in advance for all help, thoughts, ideas!

In case you want some background, here is the earlier post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Post

Comments (19)