SaveComment107Like
Comments (107)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

^^^Will not let me add photo.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Wow, a new thread already! Gorgeous bruschetta, Sleeve!!

I got up at 6:15 this morning and it's a glorious cool day. Perfect for making bread! I've missed it.

I set it to rise after kneading, did a few things online and went out to the kitchen and poof, it had pushed the lid up off the container. It rose quickly!

Formed for the second rise, and it always takes longer, so again, did a few things, washed the kitty litter box, checked FB and checked and hey, it's well above the loaf pans! That was a record time for the second rise.

It's gotta be my new yeast from our friend Plllog that she send a while ago. Happy, happy!

1 Like Save    

Gorgeous bread. And the mornings are cool here as well. First early morning chilly gardening in weeks.

My local farm share went missing so I scrambled in the freezer and made chili. Pint of bone broth, pint of mirepoix frozen with chicken stock and for some reason big green olives, a quart of tom sauce and some hatch chilies. Side of mixed beans from the fridge....and salad.

Freezing a big batch of mirepoix when I had extra celery and onion has been so handy. Did the same with mushroom ragu and shallot/leek/garlic.

Save    

Something from a few days ago. EggFriedRice. Pulled out the Wok. Lots of veg, egg fried rice on top. Great use of an oven roasted cauliflower chopped chunky and crisper drawer clean out. Nice next day lunch. Needed four eggs instead of two. Pea shoots nice add-in.

Save    
Jasdip

Ooooo, freezing mirepoix!!! What a terrific idea!

Save    

That happened mid-march when everything in NY was shutting down. A fancy wholesaler offered home delivery. I panic ordered. Bags of bones and chicken carcases for stock, 5 and ten pound bags of garlic, onions, etc. A tray of portobellos. Etc. When I made stocks, I soaked and cooked bean and grains, and made big batches of mirepoix at the same time, in pints and 1/2 pints, using the stock to wet and fill containers. They thaw really fast from frozen.

They now have lowered their minimum $ for delivery and have smaller packaging. It has been a godsend during this mess. That first jar of olives was a giant 1/2 gallon. 😂. Now I can get a 1/2 pound of any cheese instead of a 4-5 pound wheel.

This was the night before the chili and after the egg fried rice....

LambMeatball stuffed spaghetti squash cheesy. RanchGordo mixed beans side.

(I may have posted this already but last week was glitchy)

Save    
annie1992

Beautiful bread, Jasdip, and Sleevendog's bruschetta is also lovely, I'd like some of both please.

Sleevendog, it must be chili weather. It was 90 last week and will be down in the 50s next week. I like the 50s a whole lot better, and for some reason chili sounds better when it's cooler. I have a quart of tomatoes that didn't seal from today's canning and Elery has said we need to make chili.

I'd rather has the fried rice, it's easier on my acid reflux, but chili it will be, LOL.

Here I'm still eating from the garden. I made a zucchini "pizza" with chicken tenders one day:

Baked some whole wheat bread for an elderly neighbor and made an extra loaf so I can have it for toast in the morning with eggs, and we had our annual BLT, LOL.

Made a zucchini galette another day, filled with a smear of ricotta and fresh herbs, it was really good, served with a plate full of sliced tomatoes:

Everything is being served with tomatoes, this was yesterday's picking:

I canned pizza sauce, chili sauce, enchilada sauce. Yesterday I canned KatieC's Roasted Tomato soup so we had a quick dinner of venison enchiladas while the pressure canner simmered. Sliced tomatoes, of course, and some cantaloupe from the garden.

Today I canned stewed tomatoes, so I put pork with tomatillos in the crockpot, a wheat berry salad with SunGold tomatoes and a dressing of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and fried green tomatoes.

I think some Chipotle Catsup will be tomorrow's canning project and I have to make Mother a pie for her birthday. I've been everywhere looking for a can of pumpkin with no success, so I'll make it out of butternut squash. I have a LOT of that in the freezer and it's similar so it will have to do. I also told her I'd make some cupcakes in case any of the kids stop by to tell her Happy Birthday.

Annie

1 Like Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Friday is our no-ccok day, but we're going to have 100+ weather this weekend, so we bought a costco chicken which usually will feed the 2 of us for 3 meals. I'll make some zuk fritters and sliced tomatoes.

Save    
Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)

Annie - Your tomatoes look amazing. We hardly got any this year and those that we did we ate fresh.

Save    
annie1992

Thanks, Lynda. This was a bumper year for tomatoes here, they are everywhere, people are selling them out of their front yards. We had a lot of 90+ degrees days, which is unusual, and it was very dry. I mulched thickly with old hay and ran the sprinkler a lot and with the heat the tomatoes have just gone crazy. Now we're supposed to get several days of rain, which will make them split, crack and rot, so I'm glad we got a couple of really big pickings.

Annie

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Everything looks delish!

Last night was organic beef hot dogs wrapped in homemade bread dough and baked in the oven, fresh coleslaw, and a pasta salad made with lots of gin soaked olives and fresh basil. I made enough for 2 dinners in a row.

It's very hot here, and will be for awhile. Heat index has been in the 100s, with 90%+ humidity - yuck! Staying inside in the a/c as much as possible.

Save    

Some pics were not here last night. Just saw the galette and the tomato haul! Good harvest you had. Average here but one less tomato bed. Covered all season to heat/bake for more garlic space.

Trying something new for the freezer. Slow roasting/drying thick slices in the oven. Not too much.... just to caramelize a bit. Blossom ends and stem ends I'm tossing in the freezer. Collecting to eventually dehydrate for powder and flake. Already have a few gallon zip-locks of whole cherries frozen.

We have had so many fresh, I see a tomato pie in our future. This one looks good...

The recipe roasts the toms low and slow first to remove some liquid. Just like the trays I have in the oven right now. We do like it shallow, one layer, two tops...maybe summer squash and shallots around the edge or under. So many options. And cheese choices. No egg.

This was good. Chunk of brisket from the freezer. Pea shoot and fennel slaw

(will not let me pic)

Save    

Save    
Jasdip

Sleeve, I made a tomato pie years ago and it was delicious. Surprisingly it called for mayonnaise and that's what made me hesitant on trying it. I cut down quite a bit to what the recipe called for. Mayo, cheese, sauteed onions and tomatoes.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Cool enough temperature today to make a roast pork. A very nice change.

1 Like Save    

It is nice to have cooler temps.

Jasdip, I do see the mayo and various cheeses bases...I have some young gorgonzola I might use. I like using puff pastry but not available at this time. Pie crust it is.

Burgers tonight. Slaw, potato salad, spud chips. All for weekend prep but we snuck a bit of each salad. (chips gone, duh)

1 Like Save    

I'm really liking thick sliced baked chips. Crispy and chewy. Still experimenting with the best thickness and low and slow oven roasting, then crank the broiler for a bit.

Rest of the weekend is all about the tomato. So gorgeous.

Save    
neely

Lovely to start the thread with Sleevendog’s beautiful food. Then Annie’s (good idea with that zucchini galette). Jasdip’s pork roast Yum and of course the descriptions of Nancyjane’s and Carolb’s Meals sound really good as well.

Spring has sprung and I’ve been in the garden, small as it is. My whole area is still in lockdown and we are still getting all our food delivered... so far so good. Sometimes there are substitutes but I don’t mind.

Below- lamb hot pot

Below- Spaghetti with smoked salmon and capers

Below fish & chips with red peppers and olives

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Still in lockdown Neely??! That's awful. Our schools are delayed a week to make things as safe as possible.

I'm going to post the picture of the roast, that I didn't put in my earlier post. Better looking than on the plate.

Save    
wintercat_gw

Cheddar omelette from a couple of the eggs I froze six months ago hoarding stuff for corona curfew. Once thawed they were so gross - the texture especially - I almost dumped them. But I froze several dozen so no way. I added half a cup.of shredded cheddar and the outcome was beyond yummy.

Save    

Above hits all my sweet spots. Lamb, smoked salmon, fish-n-chips, the roast, and eggs. Such a fluffy omelet. I froze a half dozen but have not needed them. Planned to use in cornbreads and fritters.

DH had first boule out of the oven before I got out of bed this morning. Nice scent to wake up to.

Always change of plans these days. Pie dough did not thaw quick enough, Made prosciutto bacon, roasted tomato, gorgonzola panini. Ate my potato salad while grilling. Used deli rye since the bread was too late to bake.

Save    
Jasdip

Freeze eggs? I had no idea. But your omelette turned out better than you expected, Wintercat, so you'll have to hesitation in doing it again if necessary.

Beautiful boule to Sleeve's DH!

Our liquor stores are provincially owned (not sold in corner stores etc) and they put out a recipe book seasonally. The picture on this one caught my eye, but I didn't follow the method. It's a Persian rice dish and called for cooling the cooked rice, then layering in a skillet with the onions and chicken, and cooking on the burner further to develop the crust on the bottom.

I don't like the crusty rice (John Liu, avert your eyes), so I stirred the cooked rice into the rest of ingredients at the end. The flavours were all there; warm spices----cumin, ground coriander, cinnamon, turmeric etc. Chicken, spinach, onions and tomatoes.

Save    
annie1992

Wintercat, I've often frozen eggs, although I beat them up with a pinch of salt and then pour into muffin cups. Each muffin cup holds about 2 eggs, so I freeze the eggs in the muffin cups, pop out the "egg pucks" and put them into ziplock bags. When I need 2 eggs for bread or whatever, I just grab one. I've used them to make omelettes too, but I don't really like hard eggs, not even in omelettes, I prefer over easy, which you cannot do with frozen eggs, LOL.

They're great for baking, though, and yours seemed to come out nice and fluffy.

Sleevendog, that bread looks amazing, your DH did a magnificent job on that. And fresh corn too? What a nice end of the summer meal.

Jasdip, I don't like the crunchy rice either, but that's an interesting combination of flavors in rice, I think I'd like it. Neither Mother nor Elery will eat rice, but I like it, so I'd just have to make it for myself!

Mother is back at her own home for a week or so, so I took food there. I baked individual pumpkin and cherry pies. The pumpkin was actually butternut squash from the freezer, as there is apparently a "pumpkin shortage". Mother's birthday is tomorrow and she wanted pumpkin pie. I didn't tell her the difference and she declared it delicious, LOL. I made three little separate custard cups of filling, as I ran out of crust.

I also took her some scalloped potatoes, as I've dug the potatoes from the garden. Red Pontiac, and they got HUGE, much bigger than usual for some reason:

Last night I splurged and made pizza for Elery, no meat just peppers, onions and tomatoes from the garden, along with cheese and olives. He was happy, even with those "carbs"in the crust. I made thin crust, fewer carbs, LOL.

Tonight I made sauerkraut and sausage, as well as beets from the garden and the usual plate of sliced tomatoes, but I forgot to take pictures. I spent the day doing Township business, paying bills and balancing the checkbook. Elery cut all the cabbage in the garden for this year's sauerkraut, we got about 55 pounds from 8 heads of cabbage, that's after trimming the outside leaves and the cores, so I think that's enough, I won't have to buy more cabbage to finish off the batch. The Late Dutch Flat variety of cabbage tends to get pretty big, Elery is holding this one:

This was the last four, Elery was half done before I remembered to even take pictures, LOL.

Tomorrow I'm taking Bud to his neurologist for his regular appointment, so Elery is on his own for supper, it'll be leftovers or beans...

Annie

1 Like Save    
neely

Really like to visit here for inspiration of what to have for dinner. It may not be exactly what other people are having but it sets off a train of thought.

Anyway, for dinner we have poin loin slices, apple sauce, orzo and a pico de Gallo with extras.

Save    

Annie, 😂, you are out of control with projects. Always bugs me when Ina tosses her pastry scraps aside. I use all scraps as well. Fall harvest season is busy here as well. I'm juicing more than ever. A mid size industrial freezer we were given a few years ago and rarely us but for some ice randomly for a bbq...is now full of juice like v-8 on steroids. I've been juicing so much half full overnight, then adding an inch of water, then adding the next crop. another 1/2 inch of water. Grating garden horseradish root, then blendering roasted tomatoes.

Our appetites are down these days so breakfasts are so minimal. An egg, every other day, a tiny yogurt with a Tbsp of granola with a bit of fruit. YOYO mid day, no real lunch but rare we want anything. One dinner meal a day is nice to sit down and seldom finish. I have a stock on the stove from last night chicken bones and crisper drawer clean-out at this moment.

Elery, 😍. What a kick-**s team you have together.

24/7, 3/65 days a year salads. Made early as a first course. Not a bad plan as I've said before. Snack salad appetizer first course.

Save    

As long as it has a bit of cheese DH will consume well ahead of dinner. 🤪😬

Master plan is salad snacking mid day/lunch. A platter is much better that a bowl. My platters at the moment are full of ripening tomatoes....

Save    

This was inevitable...

1 Like Save    

@sleevendog Your bruscheta looks so good. Bread looks amazing too.

We are having ginger chicken tonight and are going to serve it with steamed jasmine rice. It came together pretty quickly. If it is good, it may have to stay in our work week rotation.

Save    

^^Yup. going into our rotation as well. Looks so good. I have so much misc vegetables at any given time it just makes sense. I braise 18-20 boneless/skinless chicken thighs every few months. Freeze in pairs of two. They become so many things. I see ginger and cashew chicken soon.

Garden pasta salad

Save    
Jasdip

Lynda, I'd love the recipe for your ginger chicken if you have one. :-)

Sleeve, your salads always look good. I'm not as energetic as you when it comes to salads. But it's your bruschetta that yells YES to me every time.

Save    

@Jadsip I feel the same way about Sleevendog's bruschetta.

For our Ginger Chicken, we pan fried cut up chicken pieces in 1 tblsp sesame oil with minced garlic and red pepper flakes. When they were browned nicely, we added small cut up whole ginger pieces to the chicken and cooked for a few minutes. We then added the sauce and cooked until it thickened. The sauce was 1/3 cup soy sauce, 2/3 cup rice vinegar, 1tblsp sugar& 1 tblsp cornstarch. I put the sauce in a jar and then shook to mix before pouring into the pan. We then added the sliced vegetables (we used 1 onion and some sliced sweet peppers, but I think many different types of vegetables would work). At the very end, we added some more finely diced ginger and then served over steamed jasmine rice. Easy and good!

Save    
Jasdip

Lynda, thank you! I always have those ingredients on hand :-)

Save    

What a day 9-11 is every year. I lived in the city 25years. The TwinTowers were a part of my kitchen window landscape. Today we have horrendous fires on top of a global pandemic.

So thankful we like to cook and plan meals. At least for a short time I'm busy in the kitchen prepping scratch meals, planning/prepping for the weekend...

YeOlde comfort stand-by frittata. Always have eggs and various veg and cheese.

Save    

SleeveSalad. Big pasta bowls. Under the toppings of marinated egg, avocado with crisps, and melon/feta, is a traditional tossed CesarSalad. (finally had a harvest of a crisp-ish romaine type head lettuce).

Save    

Try this method for bruschetta. If using a hearty hand cut rustic boule, or even pre-sliced store purchased, Toast under your broiler, not too close....second rack down. Just toast the top one side only. Rub with a raw garlic clove over the toasted side like a cheese grater. Best to cut the tomatoes right away fresh and toss with tarragon or basil. A drizzle of good ev olive oil. A bit of flake salt.

Above I tossed my fresh garden tomatoes and herbs with olive oil a couple hours ahead to keep up with prep. Even an hour too early and the fresh toms suffer a bit. You can see it in the cut flesh. I swear it makes a difference. 😜

This was last Monday. The holiday. Not my comfort zone. Sure I do whole roasted chickens and spatchcocked in the oven on a sheet pan and on the grill most often. Cast iron like Jasdip was so good. Seared it on the stovetop, dry rub down, med hot pan, turn, then white wine, and into the oven. Nice gravy.

Really good. Had lunch leftovers and made a very veggie/chicken stock with the few bones.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Hand made tamales, home made Spanish rice, and black beans.

1 Like Save    

L.Jack, no smart phone to take a quick pic?

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Yay, I love seeing cast iron cooking! I have chicken out to make this weekend, and yours looks great Sleeve.

LoneJack, you cannot pop in here with a menu like that and not show us! Spanish rice is intriguing, do tell.

I felt like a soup and sandwich meal. Finished the pork roast into a sandwich with a "clean out the frig" soup from the freezer. Comfort food.

1 Like Save    
neely

Soup and a pork sandwich... yummy

Not dinner but brunch. DH said he felt like something tasty. So Asian omelette with a soy and hoisin sauce. Gone in 60 seconds.

Save    

@LJ I second the request to see homemade tamales. I've never made them myself, but have childhood memories of Christmas at a friend's house where her extended family got together to make tamales over a two day period.

@neely, I love asian food but had never thought of that. What goes inside the omelette?

Save    
neely

Lynda, I am almost embarrassed to say ... nothing. This one is just a plain omelette. Usually I put bean sprouts but didn’t have any. I guess the Asian description we as a family term means the two sauces poured over, plus green onions and drops of sriracha sauces.

And also I meant to comment way back about Annie’s pizza... Wow pizza and it looks so good.

Save    

Miso/Ginger/Veg bowl. Dumplings fell apart. Still good. As noodles.

Cooler temps, 55º F this morning. Soup and bread baking weather.

Save    

Neely, That would be perfect for me and for my husband, I would add some thai chillis as filling. What a great idea.

Save    
annie1992

Yeah, Jack, you gotta show us! (grin) Get out that phone and get to snapping!!!

Sleevendog, your soup looks pretty darned good, in spite of the dumplings. I think I see some golden beets in there, and yellow summer squash?

Jasdip, it's soup weather here too, we had bean soup last week but this week it's back up in the 70s. Elery made a pot of venison chili on Tuesday while I took Bud to his neurologist appointment.

Neely, I also never thought of adding soy sauce or hoisin, although there are eggs in fried rice and I put soy on that. Hmmm.

Lynda, my husband would also add some hot peppers, he had this omelette this morning, that's a slice of Sugar Rush Peach on the top, with a salad and a sliced Black Beauty tomato:

I didn't have golden beets like sleevendog, instead mine were just plain old Detroit Dark Red, my favorite. Roast chicken went with it, looks kind of lonely on that plate, but I had seconds of the beets, I really like them.

We were putting up barn doors yesterday, so we had a quick meal of hamburgers with fresh sliced tomato from the garden and some of KatieC's Chipotle catsup, I canned 10 half pints but had about half a cup left so we ate it, with leftover roast chicken, along with the rest of the beets, fresh sliced tomatoes and a mix of turnips cooked with their greens, all from the garden:

Tonight I had another of those "farm to table" meals. Honey Mustard chicken with roasted carrots, zucchini and a red onion from the garden, along with the last picking of green beans for the year:

I made some cinnamon rolls for Mother and a batch of bread pudding, she really likes sweets and carbs and I used up some of the eggs in the refrigerator.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

Mmm, your honey-mustard chicken looks good Annie.

I like omelettes, and the only way I doctor them up is filling them with sauteed onions and peppers with a spicy tomato sauce. The chinese flavours sound good, Neely.

I made a home-made Shake and Bake mix and it was really good!

Save    

Twinsie chicken legs and I just roasted legs, (and thighs). Need to send jasdip some of my bean harvest...but then I saw the salad. By some miracle, fingers crossed, I may have a fall harvest of sugar snap peas.

Deep deep into harvest freezer prep. Eating fresh for meals and prepping for the freezer simultaneously. Also prepped for the week, lunches, etc.

Open-faced PLT, prosciutto bacon, tomato, lettuce.

Fall succotash

Roasting tomatillos, hatch chilis and garlic today

Save    

Save    

BLT and potato chips. (DH is so obsessed with my chips). Really all about the big fat tomato slices. Sad ending of fresh tomatoes maybe this week.

Save    

Nuts that this is 10% of what I need to process...oy.

Save    

@sleevendog roasted garlic and tomatillos look good. What will you make with them? I make salsa and enchilada sauce.

I am about to get a crop of pears and of pomegranates. Our pomegranate tree is young and this is our first significant crop 30+ and they are enormous. Our pear tree is old, and has never produced well until this year - its covered. I am not sure what to do with either crop. Any suggestions? Last year we made a pomegranate syrup and in the past we have made a rustic pear tart.

Save    
neely

There’s those tomatillos again. They look good. Funny I don’t have a clue how they taste.

DH made us stuffed red peppers. He used orzo instead of rice. Stuffed with orzo, bacon, onion , chilli and seasonings... cheese on top.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Lynda R, do you make jam? We got gifted one year with a bushel of bartletts and I chopped a bunch of it up, and made jam using a spiced peach recipe. It was really good. Pears in and of themselves lend themselves well to canning in general as long as they are not overripe.

Save    

Neely, odd you can't get tomatillos in an international market, or even a salsa verde in a small can. Not much flavor fresh but quickly soften when they hit some heat and have a nice tart tang similar to what happens to rhubarb.

Lynda, I use mine the same. Also taco night, salsa verde for many things...roasted/grilled chicken. Shrimp dishes. Summer squash and corn. I freeze it for all winter use.

Absolute favorite is a Peruvian Aji green sauce. A fresh cold sauce. Thaw a 1/2 pint and into the blender, (or cuisinart), with about 3 cups, estimated, of a mild salad leaf. Something with a sturdy milky rib like romaine, chard, and fresh lime. Sometimes fresh cilantro stems if I have it. One will swear it has mayo or cream/dairy. Or some cashews for vegan. But nope, no nuts or cream/mayo. I use micro greens. (grow year round)

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

One of DH's cousins from WV is down on business so he came over for dinner tonight. An Amish dish, Yamasetta, fried squash, tossed salad and Jello. I made a cake but everyone was too full to eat any of it.

Save    

Had to look that up. It's a mince/noodle casserole. Comfort fall season meal.

Made a small batch of the Peruvian sauce. Froze three 1/2 pints and the rest I'll use the next couple days. I've got some tamales in the freezer. Great sauce for that.

Watermelon/green apple quick pickle salad

Gorgonzola burger on hot dog buns. (raises fist to covid. Sure dog buns work but it was the time it took digging in the freezer not finding the buns I wanted)

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Sleevendog, I've had to make long skinny burgers too. I'm sure the buns, whether hamburger or hot dog, are the same dough but for some reason they just taste different! Yep, Yamasetta starts with a base of creamy, seasoned egg noodles. Layered with lots and lots of mozzarella and I use hamburger for the meat layer.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Last night I had for the very first time an artichoke that I cooked in the Instant Pot. Served it with mayonnaise to dip the petals in. Also had rotisseries chicken and a nice garlic/onion flavored rice. I was so looking forward to eating the artichoke; I adore artichoke dip, but have never made it myself. Don’t know if I will every cook an artichoke again – to me it tasted like nothing and had so little flesh it was nearly non-existent. I folled the directions in the instructions at https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/i.... I am posting a picture and perhaps y’all can tell me if this is how a cooked correctly artichoke is supposed to look. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Save    

We've had them about once a week since April. I don't have an i-pot but it could be the quality/variety/growing conditions. Sometimes they can taste bland watery if not full firm and feel heavy for their size when fresh. Or overcooked.

Pre-covid, years past, we would have them just a few times in the Spring. I was very picky when they hit our market. Fortunately our covid grocery has a decades long relationship with a Cali farm. They get the choice of the crop. They have been excellent.

Do you have a TraderJoes? They have the best frozen hearts in small bags. That will give you an idea what they are suppose to taste like. You could even make a dip with half the bag. So good roasted on pizza.

Last night, stuffed portobellos and artichokes.

1 Like Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA), thank you so much for the info about the artichokes. I may decide to give another try. There is a Trader Joes in our metroplex; however, it is not near and I rarely drive to the store. But, I am keeping the info about the frozen hearts for any future trip I might make to TJ's.

Save    

Prosciutto bacon BLT

1 Like Save    
neely

Crumbed calamari with salad and half a roll.

Save    
wintercat_gw

Tuna patties. Managed only two. The third'll go into a sandwich tomorrow.

Save    

Bruschetta again. Doubt it will be the last.

no-named deliciousness

Save    

@ediej1209 AL Zn 7 I do make jam and that is a great suggestion for my excess pears.

We've had two nights of back to back great meals. Last night we went out for our anniversary - our first real sit down dinner since covid. It was great, the restaurant had set up tables in an internal courtyard. They even put rose petals on our table and left us a card. Three different restaurants were sharing the same courtyard and there was a great vibe. Between the three of us we had wagyu ribeye, duck and rack of lamb - all were excellent. Dessert was molten chocolate cake with berries and vanilla bean ice cream. So Good. Afterwards we walked the downtown area - Many of our downtown streets have been closed to cars and the restaurants have all set up patio dinning in the middle of the street. It was nice to see people out enjoying themselves.

One of the other restaurants in the courtyard was one of our area's best sushi restaurants, so we woke up this morning with sushi on the brain. Our cucumbers are just about over for the season, so we decided to use them all up with one last sushi meal. Our fish came from the Santa Barbara Fish Market (SBfish.com) and the star was the amazing local bluefin. Our son set the table and wanted me to post his work.

Salmon rolls

Bluefin Rolls

Beautiful table set by Garrett

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Lynda, congratulations on your anniversary and yay for getting to eat out!

Save    
neely

Your mealout sounds delicious Lynda... who had the duck? Yum.

A good old stir fry... garlic and ginger prawns.

Save    

I have shrimp in my future. Wild caught in the freezer.

Last night was veg heavy frittata. So many good eggs we have .

Save    
Jasdip

Happy anniversary Lynda! I'm glad you had a great celebration.

Looking at the recent posts, shrimp is on the menus and mine is no exception. I defrosted the freezer yesterday and saw my pkg. of shrimp and knew what I was having tonight. This meal encompasses all of my favourite flavours; shrimp, artichokes, orzo, feta. It definitely deserves wine as well.

Save    

@jadsip That looks delicious - all my favorite things too.

@Neely My son, Garrett, ordered the duck and was happy to share with me. It was served with a port thyme sauce which was really good. I am already thinking how to replicate it. You garlic ginger prawns look great. I have the exact same dinner set. I lugged it all the way back from a conference in Singapore many years ago only to find it being sold at my local asian market. Not a bad thing as I can replace pieces when they break.

@edie - Yay for eating out!! I hadn't realized how much I missed it.

@sleevendog I've struggled with artichokes. We grow them year round and get a few every year. Every time I get so excited and then I end up with something almost inedible. Next time I am at Trader Joes I will need to pick up some to practice on. I am not sure if it is my lack of skills or if it is the plant itself.

1 Like Save    

Scampi with couscous, shallots and bell pepper

Save    

bread baking and a sheet pan of roasted vegetables

(shrimp tomorrow)

Save    
Jasdip

Thanks to Sleeve, I roasted veggies tonight instead of sauteeing them. Green peppers, cauliflower, onions and carrots. No potatoes in tonight's meal! Yay for me.

Baked and breaded fish fillet

Save    
annie1992

I'm so far behind, I've been sick for a couple of days plus mother is here plus there's an election. So, who knows what's for dinner?

I just wanted to drop in and say Happy Anniversary to Lynda!

Annie

Save    
neely

Yes Lynda, the blue & white plates are available at my little Asian market as well. I like blue and white ceramics in the home, so this can be an inexpensive way to have this effect on the dresser. The duck sounds good with that sauce and your shrimp delicious.

Both roasted veg look good Sleeve and Jasdip.

Annie, hope you are feeling better now. Election, what election?.... just kidding. Our news is full of your election as well.

Dinner was lamb stew. What can you say. It’s stew.

Save    

Speedy recovery Annie.

Lovely stew. And fish. Sadly my seafood stash is limited. I'll fix that soon but vegetables have crept way beyond my crisper drawers onto the shelf above. I should freeze some more for the holidays. Just so good fresh.

Made DHs favorite first course.

More roasted veg. Tossed with a miso ginger sesame 'gravy'.

Save    

@Annie Thank you and hope you feel better soon!

Save    

MarcellaHazan's Mushroom Risotto and salad

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Had a very nice meal last night. All were cooked in Instant Pots (IPs). I am trying to perfect a recipe for IP Mexican rice, so it still needs a little work, but still not bad. The IP Brussels sprouts were delightful and the IP pulled pork so very good.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Sleeve:

I didn't know you could catch shrimp in a freezer ... might have to move out east to try that ...

Save    
Jasdip

I have a rare night off work. Instead of making a decent meal as I'd intended I treated myself to some chicken tenders after my errands and an hour-long walk with a friend.

Our grocery store has breaded chicken tenders; 10 for $10, or $8 if you're a loyalty member which I am. They're decent sized so that's what I did. I did make coleslaw and mashed potatoes though, so that counts for something :-)

I put the rest of the tenders on sheet for freezing, and I have 12 on the sheet, so that was a great deal!

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

DH made cabbage rolls! They not only came out pretty, but very tasty too.

1 Like Save    
neely

Fish fryday

Save    

Ugh. Fresh fish fry. First year in twenty we did not fish. Friends were in BuffaloNY a couple weeks ago and the Canadian border had a sign..."don't even think about it", lol, (meanies)😂

I got an e-mail this morning from Newfoundland..."COVID-19 UPDATE: Newfoundland and Labrador welcomed Maritime neighbours on July 3. Future travellers from elsewhere, please keep dreaming and check back soon for travel updates."

...please keep dreaming 🙄 😂

Thanks for the pics, NFLD/Labrador

Near 20$ a pound for wild caught cod here. Rather than tears I made an old favorite. Miso/ginger/roasted hatch chili noodles. Roasted veg. Shared loaded salad.

Save    

Yesterday, I did some much needed work on the garden. Our lemon guavas were ripe so I made some jam, which end up inspiring last night's dinner plans. We grow three types of guavas, strawberry guava, which we usually make into wine, pineapple guava or feioja, which I make into muffins or cakes and the lemon guavas which I make into jam.

I used the extra jam to make brie encroute which we ate as an appetizer.

Dinner was cast iron seared filet with brown rice, our homegrown Russian kale, and shallots. It was really good, but if time had permitted I would have liked to have had a sauce for the meat. We served it with our homemade wine. We only grow grapes for white wines, but make wine from kits we buy online, which lets us try different varieties and practice our skills. This one was a Chilean Tempranillo.

We finished it off with a pear and guava jam tart. We have a huge pear crop this year. So far I haven't been overwhelmed by them because Garrett has decided he loves pears and has been eating one or two every day fresh.

Yesterday we harvested our pineapple. We have been growing pineapples in our greenhouse for a few years. We only produce a couple a year, so it is always special when we get to have one. It will either be sliced fresh for dessert or made into a pina colada tonight.

Save    

I've never heard of guava varieties. My sister just picked a pineapple from her yard. Can't imagine that.

Melon salad. Momofuku ranch dressing on the side. (I used pickled shallots)

Small charcuterie plate. New (to me) covid pantry staple. These crackers. Thin and crispy with just a powder dusting of sea salt.

Save    
Jasdip

Lynda, your own pineapples! How exciting!

I slow-cooked a couple of pork tenderloins (only a couple of hours on Low) then brushed them with a glaze of balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce and popped them in the oven.

A neighbour had given me 2 1-litre cartons of homo milk, that her workplace was throwing out as they were on the best before date. She took 4 for herself. So I made rice pudding and scalloped potatoes today to make use of it. I've never bought homo (3%) milk ever.

I had a cabbage in the frig so I boiled some. I forgot how much we loved boiled cabbage.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I stir-fried cabbage, carrots, onions and celery and added some leftover pork from last night's meal. Accompanied with brown rice.

1 Like Save    

@jadsip That slow cooked pork is making me hungry.

Our original pineapple came from Home Depot. Each time we harvest a pineapple, we save the top and replant it. Eventually, we will have them more frequently, but for now we are happy when we get to harvest one.

@sleevendog Your salads always look so good (and colorful)!

Yes, we have multiple guava varieties. They grow easily here and are considered invasive in more tropical climates. We only planted the strawberry guava, the feoija and lemon guavas are volunteers. I assume the birds eat the fruit and scatter the seeds. I've found the lemon guava jam to be very useful, I put it in fruit tarts, add to salad dressing and mix into cakes.

Save    
neely

Lots of lovely belt cooking. I don’t personally but the neighbourhood grows the strawberry guava and the feoija, don’t think I’ve seen the lemon guavas. Love the pineapple Lynda.

Our meals are becoming even more simple of late. Still in lockdown but numbers down to 5 cases per day, Lockdown really works but I sure will be glad when it’s over.

ETA .... auto correct must have added the word belt to my first sentence. I have no idea why.

1 Like Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Jasdip and neely, your meals are right up my alley. They look delicious.

Thought I had posted what I had Sunday night, as well as leftovers last night. It was so good. It is a Thai chicken dish which, many/many/ many years ago, a friend shared with me. She had lived in Thailand and got the recipe for a local dish that she loved while living there. She called it Hot Chicken. So I made that and served with rice and shredded/chopped Iceberg lettuce for it's cooling effect. We spoon the sauce from the chicken over the rice. It is just so darned good. I don't make very often.

Save    
Jasdip

WC, would you be willing to share the Hot Chicken Sauce? If it's tooo spicy I can tone it down, and I probably have all the ingredients.

I'm a wuss, I like heat but not too much. It floors me that people use a whole can of RoTel in dishes. A tbsp is enough for me! LOL

1 Like Save    

We had some cabbage last week that needed using up after making kraut. I also forget how good it is as side dish quick steamed/sautéed. Iceberg needs another look. I recently used it, layers thick, for a crunchy burger bun. (gave DH the last carb bun in the freezer). Used one of my English muffin rings to cut out the iceberg 'buns'.

Loving the crisper drawer when it thins. (delivery tomorrow).

Melon/feta miso/tamari marinated eggs

If bruschetta and panzanella had a baby (goat cheese)....still getting garden tomatoes.

I had a few couple miso glazed chicken thighs in the oven but we were satisfied so DH took those to work for lunch today.

Save    

Quick, pull out the crisper drawers. Before the next veg delivery. Scrub and bleach.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@Jasdip, sent you a message.

Save    
seagrass_gw

Jasdip - I buy mild Rotel tomatoes with green chiles. Can you find those? I agree, the original is much too warm for me!

Save    

Nice outdoor temps. No AC or heat needed. Doors and a few windows opened afternoon hours.

Miso Ginger Chicken Noodle soup (ramen)

Side of veg that needed using up. Just used the soup pot for easy...

Save    

Easy sheet pan dinner tonight. Miguerez sausage.

Save    

Merguez, I always spell that wrong. Usually auto-corrects to something bizarre.

Misfits showed up while prepping. Spaghetti squash and gorgeous escarole. Pasta as an add-on. Made an adult Mac-n-3 cheese with lots of escarole, garlic, and fennel. (made extra for todays lunch.)

1 Like Save    

@sleevendog Your adult mac n cheese may have just knocked your bruschetta into second place for my favorite of the items you post. It looks pretty amazing.

Save    

Last night's dinner - skewered lamb, hummus, pearled barley with Russian kale and homemade pita. We have this a lot, but it hasn't gotten old yet.

Save    
Sherry

Well, this thread is interesting, but has nothing I can cook. My husband would not touch anything showed, except maybe the meat if it didn't have stuff on it other than maybe butter, salt, and pepper.

Does anyone cook plain stuff?

Save    
annie1992

You mean like Jasdip's baked chicken and mashed potatoes, or Neely's fried fish and corn on the cob? Homemade bread? Scalloped potatoes? Pumpkin pie? Cheese omelette? Those are all in this thread too.

Isn't the diversity great?

Annie

1 Like Save    

Lynda, that lamb looks so good. Perfect sides. DH said the same about the mac-n-cheese. The-best-ever.

I make plain stuff sometimes. I just happen to have a plethora of veg all garden season. We happen to love all greens and veg. As do all our friends.

I have a double fist of beef thawed. Deciding between a beef stew or a chili today. (the side salad will be Bollywood, lol)

Save    
Jasdip

Sherry, my cooking is certainly nothing fancy. Simple chicken dishes, sausages, pork chops, etc. I do like flavour though, so sometimes I put a sauce on it, and certainly spices etc.

One of my favourite dishes is a simple breaded pork chop, mashed potatoes and creamed corn. That was my favourite dish as a kid; pure comfort food.

If you husband won't eat simple fare as that, and the dishes that Annie mentioned (scalloped potatoes, corn on the cob, etc) I feel sorry for you. I'd hate to cook for him.

Save    
Sherry

I guess I was very frustrated the other day (and jealous, lol). Sorry. Everything looks good to me, but I have a huge notebook of good for me. Fish, bass, is okay in plain cornmeal, fried. Chicken in plain flour, fried. Steak if NO pink. Pork chops, grilled or fried. Plain hamburger. Onions and spices are okay in chili, spaghetti sauce, and dressing (as long as you cannot see anything green). No green onions. parsley, celery, chives, garlic, etc. Corn (if only has butter and salt), pinto beans, broccoli, and baby lima beans with only bacon or butter. Salad is okay if iceburg lettuce with carrots and tomato. French fries, but not baked potato. Mashed potatoes, sometimes, but not scalloped potatoes (they have onion). Baked beans with lots of brown sugar. No green beans. No grocery store frozen dinners. Two restaurants. One pizza and one TexMex.

It is getting worse the older he is. He used to eat a lot more. To make it worse, he doesn't eat at a normal time. So I just cook and put in frig and he heats in the microwave.

We are having boneless pork chops, corn, and mac and cheese tonight, with rolls. I haven't decided whether to fry or grill the pork chops. They won't have any seasoning at all. I do have some green beans and new potatoes for me.

Thanks for listening.

Save    
Jasdip

Your pork chops, with corn and mac and cheese sound good, Sherry! At least you can spice up your foods, even if not his.

Save    

@Sherry I can understand and empathize with your frustration. These are crazy times which amplify the existing challenges we face. I am trying to work from home while home schooling for the first time, so I actually make pretty simple things during the week. On the weekends, I enjoy cooking something a little special.

I think we would all love to see your pork chops and mac n cheese!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Offices World of Design: 11 International Architects in Their Home Offices
By Houzz
Thinking about relocating your office to your home? From Sydney to Copenhagen, these architects share their insider knowledge
Full Story
Most Popular Quartz vs. Granite: The Battle of the Countertops
Read about the pros and cons — and see great examples — of these popular kitchen countertop materials
Full Story
Garages 6 Great Garage Conversions Dreamed Up by Houzzers
Pull inspiration from these creative garage makeovers, whether you've got work or happy hour in mind
Full Story