SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shillho

Update 90s Baltic brown and white kitchen??

shillho
3 years ago

We recently bought a house built in 1994. So much pinky brown. The kitchen is Baltic brown granite counters with a Baltic brown backsplash, plus white square 4x4 tiles. The cabinets appear to be real wood based on small chips I can see but they’re painted a warm white. The previous owner did update the flooring to a warm red-toned nice wood-look laminate, which I like. She had also painted most of the main walls in the house a medium-dark warm gray. She had also painted multiple kitchen walls RED, which I quickly painted over with a nice beige (SW Balanced Beige) that coordinates with the other colors. Maybe I’m the only person in the world who feels this way, but I do not like white painted cabinets in a kitchen. I don’t think I will ever be happy with them. :( I just love wood tones. But the thought of stripping the paint and staining them... so much work. I haven’t stripped an area this large before, but have gel stained cabinets in two previous houses. I am considering painting, at least the island, a greenish gray. (SW Thunderous) Wondering if that will make me happy, at least for a while. I still may want to strip and stain them though. :/

I hate the white 4x4 tiles and granite backsplash. I don’t like granite backsplash Ed in general. The Baltic brown counters are growing on me... I think if I remove the granite backsplash and redo/go over the whole backsplash maybe it’ll be fine. We also have a cooktop in the island; which we hate. We’re considering moving the cooktop to next to the wall oven or getting a range for that location, so we’d need new granite for the island anyways. I had thought we could leave the Baltic brown everywhere and get more Baltic brown for the island... my husband thinks we should just get all new granite. And I’m still left with the issue of the cabinets. (I’ve also considered painting the white backsplash tiles to make them more tolerable temporarily.)

Comments (7)