SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliwest_gw

Updating 90's kitchen in our new home

aliwest
12 years ago

Hello. We will soon be closing on our new home, circa mid-90s. I've always said our next home would have a "done" kitchen, so I wouldn't have to make decisions or spend extra money. But of course, it didn't work out that way.

Here is the kitchen. There is nothing really wrong with it, other than the original sink and counter tops do need to be replaced because of their condition.

The kitchen has a newer center island that is painted dark grey/light black with a neutral, light colored cream Corian counter. I am fine with the island, although I think it should have been rotated? There is actually room to sit at the island without bumping into the fridge, so we will make it work. I like that it has the wine storage and an open shelf and it has tons of drawer space.

The cabinets are Oak and although good quality, I prefer the look of maple, dark wood or white cabinets. The floor is a white/off white tile, which I don't love, but we are stuck with for now. Eventually, I would like to one day replace the tile with darker wood, plank flooring.

We can not afford to do a major renovation, but will paint all the existing trim white and can do new counters (granite), an undermount stainless sink and possibly paint the cabinets. I would love to do a simple (and very affordable) backsplash, possibly one that we can install on our own?

I have always loved the brightness of white kitchens, but I'm not certain how white cabinets will look with the white/off white tile? I would leave the island, as is. Even painted white, it seems like the cabinets would need more detail, possibly adding bead board to the sides or a more substantial piece of moulding at the top?

Here is an example of a kitchen that I really like:

And, this is the dining set I am hoping to get (from Overstock).

And just to give you an idea what the family room is like off the kitchen:

I actually really like the built-ins and the tone of the wood. It gives the room such a warm and comfy feeling. The carpet is new and a very subtle gray, so we will be keeping it. The current furniture is the previous owners', but ours will be relatively neutral. I do, however, want to paint the crown molding, baseboards, window trim and doorway trim white.

If I paint the kitchen cabinets and all the trim/baseboard, moldings, etc. white, while leaving the built-ins as is,do you think it would look odd? Or, should I just paint the built-ins white too? My husband does not like painting wood, so he throws in a little challenge too!

Thank you so much for any ideas or comments you have. We rarely spend money on home improvement (unless it's something we can do ourselves), so we will probably be living with whatever decisions we make for the next 20 years!

Alison

(P.S. This is my first time posting, so hopefully I haven't made any blunders...)

Comments (15)