SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_weber

Wanting to update 90's maple kitchen

Sara Weber
7 years ago

When we moved into this house several years ago I initially thought I would paint these cabinets or at some point replace them. They are in great shape but, the uppers especially, are kind of ill fitted for the space. One project led to another and here we are, three years later and the kitchen remains untouched. The original kitchen was a small galley style. The former homeowners added a large addition across the back of the house and extended the kitchen. The function is not great (dishwasher is no longer near the sink) but we've gotten used to it. The kitchen gets a lot of light. There is a vaulted ceiling and skylight in the original part. My thoughts are to remove the soffit and uppers over the sink and install some open shelving and perhaps a beveled subway backsplash. Remove the uppers over the stove, add a new vent hood that is all exposed, and backsplash. Remove the small chandelier (former homeowners had a pub style table under it).

Definitely new counters but not sure what. New sink and faucet.

Butcher block in a dark stain or a light colored formica. Definitely paint the trim white and wall color a light gray or beige. Removing the island which seems to be oriented the wrong way and use a moveable island, farm style. Should I work with what I have or just wait until I can afford to replace the cabinets and rework the space?

Comments (4)