SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neelysteinberg

Need HELP for a design dilemma!

Neely Sullivan
3 years ago

Hello! Hoping I can get some ideas on how to fix my design dilemma. We are turning our kids play room into a cozy TV room. Originally, when the house was built, this room was meant to be a dining room, but when we bought it, we made it into a playroom. Now my kids are a bit older and I want to make it into a cozy but glamorous TV room. BUT I have a HUGE issue that I just realized. The green credenza is centered against the wall and the TV will go above it in the center of the wall. We have a new couch, which is coming soon, and it will need to be centered approximately across from the credenza. We are going to get an ottoman as well, which will need to be approximately centered in this arrangement as well. The couch and current table are placeholders. The 2 chairs (in a different fabric) you see will flank the green credenza. Everything looks good and balanced, EXCEPT the chandelier. We will be getting a new one at some point, but the chandelier is NOT centered over the coffee table/ottoman. See photos below. Temporary chandelier looks fine from the entrance of the room, but when you sit on our temporary couch, the chandelier sits about 2.5 feet to one side of the coffee table, and it looks VERY awkward from the view of sitting on the couch. It seems to me there are a few solutions:

• Shift everything over so that the coffee table is centered under a chandelier, but even if the green credenza is moved all the way over to the pantry opening, the coffee table couldn't be completely centered with the credenza, because it would have to be pushed too far over to the window and would look awkward.
  • I was thinking maybe I could hang two chandeliers in the room. One centered above the coffee table where it currently is, so chandelier would be closer toward the entrance of the room, and the second chandelier more towards the back of the room to balance things out, and provide light to the bench/settee at the back of the room, which is not temporary but will be reupholstered at some point.
  • Have a series of recessed lighting across the ceiling.

What do you think? Does anybody have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions??? Also, the first pic is a photo of the room rendering and what I'm envisioning in terms of the basic look of the room. The next three are actual photos of the room.

Thank you!

Neely

Comments (2)