SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_snapp15

Kitchen Renovations Floor Dilemma: DESIGN ADVICE NEEDED! HELP!!

Michael
2 years ago

We moved in our home about a year and a half ago and spent 50k replacing flooring in the entire house ( 5" 5" Mullican Dark Hardwood) with the exception of the foyer.. Unfortunately the company did a horrible job installing the floors and now we are having gapping/ wear issues. The vendor is attempting to "fix" the issue but its a lengthy process and my husband and I are not confident that they are going to be able to fix the floors and we will eventually need to pursue legal action so we can have the floors fully replaced or at least fixed properly. Before the issues arose with the gaps etc. we planned on renovating our kitchen and purchased all new cabinets. Our intention was to have the cabinets installed after the new floors to avoid 1/4" round trim around the perimeter but now we are at stand still because there is so much uncertainty regarding the wood flooring issue. My husband is of the mindset that because we have dogs and the kitchen is a heavy traffic area we should just remove the wood from the kitchen and replace it with a durable tile. THE ISSUE: our kitchen cabinets are a very light warm gray ( SW Repose Gray). Our original intention was to have the dark wood floors, light gray cabinets, matte gold hardware, with Carrara quartz countertops with a waterfall island. My concern is that our kitchen meets two other rooms. Our foyer which has the original beige travertine marble and the dining room ( New dark Mullican hardwood that is currently in the kitchen) so with I'm torn on what color/ style tile would even work in the kitchenconsidering the shaker cabinets are already purchased in repose gray . I'm more inclined to just keep the wood but my husband is concerned that if it can't be fixed reasonably we will then have to get another floor once the waterfall island is already installed and will then be required to add 1/4" trim around the cabinets and island. You can see in the photo the current wood flooring and the beige marble foyer. If I absolutely had to pick a tile floor I would gravitate towards gray tones but it can't be too light because the repose gray cabinets are light. REALLY COULD USE SOME DESIGN ADVICE/ CREATIVE IDEAS ON THIS CONUNDRUM!!! Thanks in advance!!!!

Comments (5)