SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
columbushopeful

Seeking advice on architect design for first-floor renovation/addition

columbushopeful
5 years ago

I am working with an architect to redesign our first floor with a small addition. The home was built in 1965 and doesn't accommodate our 5-person family the way we would like. We started working with a local architect, who has done similar projects on dozens (or more!) of homes in our area - it's an older, desirable neighborhood, and many families are building up/out because of low inventory. This architect was referred to us by a few friends who used her and was very happy with her. I've been moderately pleased with our experience -- feeling like there are probably better ideas, but I don't have the creativity to come up with them (and not getting any more creativity from my architect). Wanting to share my as-built floor plan and the new floor plan - hoping for new ideas or other creative solutions.

Challenges with our current floor plan:

• Kitchen is too small. Does not hold a table big enough for our family of 5. Currently has a 48" round table that is really only meant for four people. My kids are still young (ages 4-11) so we're making it work, but won't work for long. Also, we entertain a bit, but not like we want to, we only have one family over at a time and would love to host larger gatherings. We want a large island to gather around. Kitchen storage space is fine as is, so not necessarily looking for more counter/storage space (but won't complain if I get more!).
  • Living room is too small. While it looks big (it is long), the layout does not accommodate enough furniture to hold all five of us. I've had designers look at it, and my architect too - everyone agrees it's odd and challenging because of the narrow width and opening to the dining room. This is the room we live in, watch TV in, etc, so I guess it's really more of our family room. I'd love a sectional, but would be open to other options as long as it holds enough COMFORTABLE furniture to fit all five of us. I don't want this to be a formal space, with smaller-scaled chairs, etc. You'll see on the new floor plan the architect widened the room to accommodate a sectional. Currently we have a sofa opposite the windows and a chair on the other side of the dining room opening. TV is located between the windows. This configuration holds four people (3 on couch, one on chair).
  • Mudroom/storage. Must have a mudroom type space for backpacks, shoes, sports equipment, etc. Must.
  • This is not a requirement, but we were able to make it work with design and budget and it's on my husband's wish-list....a garage bay for a third car. Not an every-day driver, but a place to store a project/fixer car he's always dreamed of owning, so it's okay that it's a tandem-style garage.
  • Need better access to backyard. Today have to walk through screened in porch. Would like direct access to back yard/patio from home.

Based on the challenges, our architect drew the attached floor plan. You'll see we're essentially bumping the back of the house out 6' (to align with the dining room) and adding the mudroom/garage behind the existing garage. Would like input from everyone....does this layout make sense? Anything that is concerning? Any other considerations we need to think through, etc... The square you see drawn on the new floor plan (behind the new garage/mudroom) is a covered patio.

One more note....the dining room can't be extended any further. There is a very old, beautiful maple about 9' from the house along the edge of the yard that I don't want to lose - it provides all of the shade for our backyard (which is MUCH needed in the summer months). Other than that, we're very open to any ideas...such as relocating stairs, etc....whatever it takes to get the most functional, but also beautiful/design-oriented, space.

Thank you in advance!! Appreciate any input!

Comments (10)