SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkovo_gw

Addition design Advice Needed

pkovo
10 years ago

Working with Architect on a second level addition, and need some advice. It�s a bungalow/ranch type house. Tearing off existing 6/12 pitch roof, adding 10/12 pitch cape style roof, with full shed dormer on back and gable on front. Yielding 2 bedrooms one bath now, and option for a 3rd in the future (framed as attic space).

I have two issues:

1) The architect wanted to do the shed dormer with a 3/12 pitch roof. This allows for full height ceilings all the way out to back wall. However, to me, it looks wrong proportionally, as the dormer face ends up the same as the 1st story wall. Additionally, I don�t like low pitched roofs due to leaks, debris not moving etc.. I had him draw it with 4/12 pitch (the minimum acceptable pitch for my old school mentality) and that yields an outside ceiling height of 6�6", which of course will slope up to 8' less than 5' into the rooms.

My Dilemma, go with what seems right from the outside, or go with what seems right from the inside. Am I making too much of this difference? My rear yard is open to a golf course, so the rearview will be seen more then most houses.

2) On the gable end, he drew in a double window, each of egress sizing. However my house is older, and the two double windows on the first floor are quite small and proportionally different in comparison. The difference looks "odd" to me. Not awful, but not great. Not sure what would look more appropriate and still provide the required egress, and a goof amount of light/ventilation etc.. Casements, a single double hung, single with two small ones either side etc etc� There will be a double window in the rear dormer also, but not tall enough for a double hung egress back there. Perhaps a casement there might work?

Would love any suggestions on window options, both style and/or sizing appreciated.

***If my links work, it should show the Gable end view with the windows and the 3/12 pitch dormer (dotted line) for comparison purposes. The rear view is drawn with the 4/12 pitch dormer. I don�t think I mind the look of the 3/12 from the side, it�s the "bug eyed" look from the rear I am afraid it could take on.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/pkovo/Sideview_zpsb5c52647.gif

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/pkovo/Rearview_zps263a0743.gif

Comments (6)