SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeniniowa

Back after a little absence - need advice on $ for remodel/addition

Jennifer Weinman
8 years ago

My husband and I are finally reaching the point where we need to make a decision on how to move forward with one of 3 options to deal with our house, and I think we're kind of stuck and at an impasse, mostly based on what perceived costs might be. Apologies in advance for this being probably way too detailed and rambly! We've never really done any significant projects on our current house, other than some work done after flooding that was covered by insurance, so we're needing some generic advice o the $$ aspect of things.

I shared several months ago about our major issue that HAS to be dealt with - we have a 1902 home in Iowa with a small back "porch" that previous owners finished half into a 3/4 bath, the other half is an enclosed non-heated mudroom/storage basically. Last winter, pipes froze and burst in the shower, and then we discovered mold. So the immediate issue is removing the mold. But the bigger issue is...what then? Do we go further or not? That's where the 3 choices come in, and I think some feedback on numbers would help.

Option 1: Involves tearing out a significant part of a wall where the mold is (about a 4 ft long by 8ft tall wall) and redoing that, plus fixing the plumbing, and replacing a corner shower stall that's pretty basic. No other major renovations or remodels. There's the obvious possibility of finding some weird stuff we may need to fix or things being worse than we expect, but save for that, we wouldn't be changing any layout or building or much beyond just repairing what we have to. This would be the cheapest and more of the "bandaid" approach, I'm guessing in the range of $5-7K depending on how fancy of a shower we do, though most likely we'd go fairly basic. Does that sound about right for cost? We have to hire a lead safe contractor due to the age of our home and most likely wouldn't do too much of the work ourselves.

Option 2: Husband is proposing linking some of this remodel to a remodel of our kitchen/back porch/3/4 bath, but in a way that would not change the overall footprint of the house, no moving of fixtures in the kitchen, no changing of rooflines. The challenges we face with this are: opening up an exterior wall about 3ft between the kitchen and the porch, a sloping back porch that would need to be leveled to match the current kitchen, how in the world to transition from a 9 ft kitchen ceiling to the 8ft porch ceiling in an open room, possibly moving an exterior door (?) or adding a window, insulating and finishing the current porch space, and then there are the obvious costs of basically a kitchen overhaul (new cabinets, counters, floor, etc - we would only need a new stove). My guess at all of that is around $45-50K, and that would be going with probably mid grade cabs or something like Schuler's and doing some of the work ourselves (demo, sheetrock, simple installation, painting, etc). The one main problem I see with this option though is that while it does give us more space for our kitchen, something we both really want, it doesn't help any with the majorly awful current kitchen layout we have. I'm having a hard time swallowing investing that much money in a bad layout. Which leads me to option 3...

Option 3: My proposal is to also open things up, but would involve a slight bump out addition that would require reworking the roofline (it's just the porch on the 1st floor, about a 12ftx4ft space, not the whole house) and possibly foundation of the porch. It may be easier to tear off and start from scratch, but I'm not sure (is this something we could ask a general contractor about?). The addition bump out is quite small - like 1.5ftx4ft or so. This would enable us to do a major kitchen overhaul and optimize the layout a lot more. My husband is pretty squeamish about the cost of the bump out and reworking the roofline being astronomical, and I have no idea what kind of cost we would be looking at for that singular aspect of a remodel. My guess for my proposal for the total project would be closer to $70K or more depending on final kitchen finishes and layout.

I guess the main question I have - what is a fair price estimate for a small addition while keeping the current porch? Is there a generally accepted price per square ft that works?

Comments (21)