SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yoda888

2 years after remodel...Grout cracking..advice needed

yoda888
10 years ago

Hi All,
It's been awhile since I've been on Gardenweb. I was on quite a lot during our home remodel.

I've done some reading on the forums, and I think I answered most of my questions, but I wanted to run it by the pros here first! (I plan to take a week off from work to get to the "honey do" list. Want to get all my ducks in a row!)

I'm noticing a lot of "cracking" of grout in the bathrooms and kitchen of our house. It's been a little bit over 2-years since the remodel was completed.

Based on my reading, "any change in planes" should be caulking instead of grout as there is slight movement. Grout simply does not flex. So something has to give.

Just to make sure I have my "change of planes" terminology correct, that basically means when going from say horizontal to vertical correct? Or when two walls meet in a corner? Or when the floor meets the wall in the shower?

For these areas that have "damaged" grout, what is the recommended and proper way to completely remove it, clean it, and prep the area for "grout looking caulk"? Do I just need a grout saw to "saw" away the old grout?

I'm really hoping the caulk will look pretty similar to the grout! Otherwise I'm going to hear it from my wife!

BTW, our grout is Polyblend brand if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Comments (14)