SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pudge2b

Need advice on soil additives for new rock garden

Pudge 2b
19 years ago

I'm getting ready to amend an existing bed and turn it into (my version of) a rock garden. The present soil is black gumbo mixed with grit - it is somewhat sandy and free draining and feels gritty when I rub it between my fingers. It is an area that borders the brick driveway and under the soil there is plenty of gravel spillover from when the driveway was installed. PH is slightly alkaline. There is very little organic matter. I presently have a number of sedum and sempervivum growing in there that do very well.

I want to add more fieldstone to the area and plant with more rock garden type plants. I have more semps and sedums to plant in there as well as various creeping Dianthus, Gypsophila repens, Campanula tridenta, Androsace sarmentosa, Draba species mix, Orostachys, Jovibarba and Delosperma congestum (although these last 3 are still small seedlings).

The bed needs the soil level raised. I live in a rural area and my choice of soil amendments is limited - first is sand, quite fine. The second - what I refer to as gravel - is a mixture of sand, small stones (to 1/4") and clay (according to my mudshake test, about 10% clay). It's the gravel they use on gravel roads around here. My home soil test kit says this mixture is neutral PH. The third choice is 3/4" crushed rock which actually is made up of a good percentage of smaller rock. Largest pieces are the size of my (ladies) thumb to the first knuckle.

My thought is to dig in 2" of gravel (Mix 2) and 3 or 4 bags of peat moss into an 8X20 area. Place the field stone, add another 1" of gravel on top of that and then plant. I'm debating if I should add the 3/4" light coloured rock as a decorative mulch on top. Aesthetically it would tie in with the rest of the yard as I have plenty of crushed rock over gravel paths (in which plenty seeds out and grows).

Any comments on my plan of attack are welcome - I really want to do this right.

Comments (9)

Sponsored