SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_181351332

Using handyman to renovate bathroom, his tiling is terrible.

Mark B
3 years ago

I’ve had a handyman renovating our bathroom for the past 5 days. He and his crew did a great job with the demo, plumbing, and electrical. They are very clean, timely, respectful and nice. I noticed the drywall mudding looked a little rough yesterday, but thought it was just the first layer, maybe it will get better. Then today he started tiling. The shower floor tile is just awful. It’s wavy, not spaced out properly, and looks sloppy. He tiled one of the walls outside the shower, it was ok. Some lippage here and there, and a super rough cut around the tub.

He left today before I saw the sloppy tile job, so I didn’t get a chance to ask him about it. At this point, I don’t feel comfortable with him finishing the tile work. I feel bad because he is so nice and honest, but I just don’t have faith in his finishing finesse. His original estimate for the entire job was $7800. I’ve paid him $4000 so far. What do I do? Is it fair to let him go at this point? Do I tell just him I don’t feel confident in his tile work but everything else was great?
Please help! I’ve never done a reno before and I’m lost.

Comments (11)