SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yazz100_gw

Help! GC got a terrible tile setter need to rip out tiles

yazz100
16 years ago

Hi, I am redoing a bathroom circa 1930ish. Got a GC reccomended by a friend. from what I have researched the tile setter is not doing a good job and I put a stop to the job asking for a new tile setter. He did about 1/3 of the walls and the entire bathroom floor and after he left one day I was checking his work. Some tiles have large gaps between them and the cement board or greenboard.

I understand it's impossible to have them lay perfect, but there should not be gaps behind them should there? I complained to the GC and he pulled one off. You can see the trowel lines on the wall but it looks as if the tile just had glops of mastic in spots. I read the mastic should cover the entire tile and troweled in the opposite direction of the wall. I complained to the GC and he said they would rip ou the tile and relay them. My question is if they rip out the tile do they need to replace the greenboard and cement board? When the GC took off one of the tiles it pulled the green covering off the greenboard. I'm thinking it should be replaced???

Also he did not tape or apply mastic to corners where boards meet at wall corners. He just put tiles up to the edge, you can see the space between them. Is this right?

Comments (4)