SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sedona_heaven

I just ripped out my kitchen backsplash!

sedona_heaven
10 years ago

I'm posting for some support and advice. Went by our new home build just after the wonderful tile setter had put in the new kitchen backsplash. I love the slate tiles alone, and with the granite, but it turns out they completely clashed, to my eye, with the cabinets. The cabinets are a warm taupe/grey - Dynasty Smoky Hills - and the cool blue grey of the slate tiles looked terrible to me. Like we tried to have something that matched and failed miserably. I know this would have bothered me, though maybe I wouldn't have noticed after a while. The granite is complicated - cielo granite has a lot of cream, greys, blues, some brown. It works with the cabinets, but the backsplash tile highlighted the ways it didn't work rather than the ways it does. We were originally going to have white cabinets, which would have worked beautifully.

I hope I didn't make a really dumb decision! The tile setter told me I could take them off immediately or forget it, as they would bond to the sheetrock and require pulling off chunks to resheet rock, versus just texture and paint (we have more painting to do anyway). So on the spur of the moment we pulled it off. I immediately breathed a sigh of relief - it looked so much better without the backsplash.

I wish I could have seen this before; or rather, I wish I had trusted my eye over the designer's (and stopped rushing to meet deadlines). I'm someone who seems to really notice undertones. My designer (who comes with the company building the house - a mistake I will never make again) is into traditional heavy tuscan style, and I am not. Moral of the story: never work with a designer whose taste you don't like, even if you think you can make your own decisions. If you are like me - busy with work and unfamiliar with the building process - you will be unsure at some points and listen to their advice, and regret it in the end....

I know I've seen posts on here about people without backsplashes. My tile setter said he will put in epoxy at the back edge of the counter while we decide what we want. I actually really like the way it looks without a backsplash, though will probably eventually need to pick something simple (cream/white) for practical reasons.

Oh this is quite a process. DH is being lovely, but I know the builder will not be.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida