SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

Anyone want to stop me before I rip? (a backsplash question)

amysrq
13 years ago

Finally, after more than two years of various issues, my tile has arrived. I am thrilled. In a thread here this week, I read about how people are running the tile right up under their window sills and I got very excited.

One thing I can't stand about my sink area is how the (overly frou-frou IMO) window casing tends to collect gook from the splashing water. I had this brainstorm that I could rip off the apron and just tile up to the stool/sill. The beauty of this is that it would take two complete courses to fill the newly opened area. It's like it was meant to be! :-)

However, I am a little concerned about the header being so heavy that removing the apron will make the whole array look top-heavy and unbalanced. I like to think I can sweep aside form in favor of function, but am I going too far?

What I have:

What I want:

I have yet to decide on window treatments, but I will most likely go with a very simple solar shade, inside mounted. The second window in the kitchen requires inside mount, so I cannot mount something to the header to visually minimize it. The wall color is going to "match" the tile and I am seriously considering painting the uppers the same color as the walls or a very slightly darker-than-the-walls color, in order to shift what I perceive as an imbalance on the stove wall. It would also help with The Soffit Problem. ;-)

(I came here at least a year ago looking for help with the balance problem. We talked about ways to add something to the wall to the right of the hood. Recently, I thought that painting the uppers to blend in better might be a better solution than adding something to an already-crowded wall.)

I would consider painting the window trim "to match" if that would help me get tile all the way up to the sill. Functionally, I want this very badly! :-)

Here is the big picture:

Here is a close-up of my tile with the quartz:

Comments (22)