SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

antiqued mirror backsplash-I think that's what I want!

dirtymartini
12 years ago

Ok, after living in our 1970s faux spanish ranch house for a little over 2 years, we are FINALLY doing the kitchen. White shaker cabs ("Ancestral White"...not bright white) and butcher block perimeter counters (waterloxed), SS farmhouse sink with a burlap curtain underneath...I am VERY excited...we just demoed the kitchen yesterday, cabs are all in my living room!

Some of you may remember my posts, I love 70s decor (without being ridiculous and having orange shag carpeting and avocado appliances). There are things from my childhood home that was built in 1969 that I am trying to refer to in small ways. Outdoors I make sure we have a seagrape tree as well as some slash pines, inside I made sure I have an owl image somewhere (my mom collected owls, I think they were popular in the 70s), a touch of macrame, a peacock, just general things that make me smile and remind me of that time. I really wish we had a sunken living room here...or better yet, a conversation pit! I know, I know...I am weird! LOL.

In my childhood home had a foyer with a wall of antiqued/smoked mirrors. I am thinking of doing that for my back splash. I love the idea of shiny/sparkly with the wood and the general rustic-ness of the kitchen.I have been googling and found a few links. Here is a picture of what I am thinking.

Some reasons I think this will work...

-no natural light in my kitchen (no windows)so this will add dimension, light etc

-easy to wipe up (cooktop is on island, so at least there will be no splatters there!)

-antiquing will hide some smudges, plus, I did a search on this forum and I saw someone's comment about mirrored backsplashes causing a bunch of floating torsos in the room when you have people in your kitchen. I don't want to see that...especially MY torso! lol.

-antiquing (even heavier antiquing than this picture) will help not see the reflection of everything on the counter...although I am one of those people that keeps my counter relatively clear.

Please share any images or sources. I do feel that this will be affordable also. I know we can do the antiquing of the mirrors ourselves but not sure how, seems kind of dangerous with all those chemicals.

Wondering if we should do tiles or one big pane of mirror? I guess that would cost more, huh?

My husband is worried about the mirrored tiles being fragile. Is there a certain thickness I should look for?

Do you think instead of antiqued mirror, we should go for stainless steel tiles...or perhaps that "yacare" silver tile? We are considering brushed SS for the island countertop, appliances are SS, so don't want it to be SS overkill.

I definitely want a backsplash with a shimmer or shine, so I am open to suggestions. Also...unfortunately...it has to be affordable. :(

Thank you for suggestions. I am REALLY excited. I kind of stopped coming to this forum because I was getting depressed about our lack of funds for the kitchen and seeing everyone's completed and GORGEOUS kitchens was making me feel envious. I will be around much more now!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (16)