SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Ripping out an existing granite backsplash? Or not?

MizLizzie
11 years ago

Gardenwebnewbie's post about making a backsplash out of her seat slab got me thinking. I gather the trend nowadays is to drop your wall treatment -- be it tile or painted glass or whatever -- straight down to the solid surface countertop. Is that right?

I ask because, as some of you know, we are trying to preserve our kitchen-L area with a reface job so we can keep our granite and sink. Had originally planned to demo it, but we can't find anything we like better. When the granite was put in about eight years ago, they put a splash on. I never thought not to. I was never asked if I wanted it, but only how tall I wanted it. Answer = 4"

Now, as part of the reno, the kitchen dude is saying, yeah, you really need to let me rip that off. Like it's diseased or something. LOL. We will be ripping out the tile above it, in part so we can properly hardwire undercab LEDs. We have the tile (Rixi noce and a glass/metal accent tile.)

But sometimes when I look at kitchens with no splash, it looks . . . naked to my eye. (I know I'm painfully slow to grasp change; until last year, stainless appliances still horrified me.) That said, I really could use the space especially behind the stove and the faucet, which is tight due to a window sill. If anyone has before and after pics of with/without, I would love it. Or maybe an old thread I'm not finding? Another website? I tried Houzz but not getting much.

And has anyone ever ripped off a splash successfully? I worry about goo being stuck on it, or having it crack on us. Kitchen dude assures me it won't happen. If it matters, our look will be very traditional, with maybe a transitional hint in the accent tile and new (stainless!) appliances.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)