SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayland_gw

finished diy ikea kitchen, black granite, marble backsplash

mayland
16 years ago

Well, we are 99% finished. We still need to add some small wood fillers either side of the wine rack above the fridge (maybe), and add some big/bold art on the empty walls. And think about a window treatment.

We began this in August as part of a whole-house renovation on a 1950s split-level. The kitchen was mostly finished by December, just had to wait on a couple of trim pieces from IKEA. My husband installed the cabs, appliances, sink, faucet etc, mostly by himself (with much "help" from our 4- and 2-yr olds!)

I think the total kitchen cost was about $15-17,000. (Not including drywall, moving plumbing, electricity etc, which we used contractors for).

Thank you to everyone on this forum, its such a great source of information, advice and support! (and Bmorepanic, thank you for suggesting our layout, which we love, if you are reading!).

Here is a "before" pic of the kitchen when we bought the house last July. (we moved the kitchen to what was the old living room, and this old kitchen was ripped out to become a sitting/fireplace room).

And here is the new kitchen:

(the french door is to the dining room)

Here are the details:

Cabinets -- IKEA Askome (ash)

Granite -- Black Galaxy (i wanted soapstone all along, but when it came to it, this was a great deal and saved us about $1500)

Backsplash -- marble 18x18" tile from HD Expo (i think its Calacatta)

Oven, microwave and dishwasher -- Bosch

Cooktop -- Bosch induction (imported from germany, my husband is German), love it!

Fridge -- Jenn Aire cab depth

vent hood -- Lux Aire = no name brand

Floor -- original 1950s hardwood, which we sanded and refinished.

Sink -- Ticor something from Galaxy tool supply

Faucet -- Danze Sonora

Along with the kitchen, we've also renovated the whole house (much has been DIY). Thankfully we are almost done inside, and I can finally think about planting instead of painting!

Comments (38)