SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barncatz

Kitchen refresh: my New DIY matte/glossy backsplash and busy granite

barncatz
7 years ago

In 2005, my DH and I started building our home ourselves as a weekend retreat. We (and our horses, dogs, kitty) moved here fulltime in 2011. We initially bought appliances at warehouse sales and Craigslist, almond refrigerator, white range and the prize: a black Miele DW. I liked loft/industrial, so had DH use 'Corten steel look' tile for our counters and backsplash. I spray painted the fridge black.

Last winter, our white range died. I may have thought "urban loft" when we started, but the house was pretty clear: "farmhouse." I wanted marble counters. DH didn't, nor Quartz. I had started reading GW kitchen threads and had settled on Lagoinha quartzite. We went to look at it, but DH found a slab of Colonial White and was enamored, so it's ours.

Our kitchen/living share the space so the BS was actually more important to me than the counters. Our DD is a ceramics student so we wanted handmade tile; local, if possible. DD suggested Mercury Mosaics in Mpls. They were wonderful and I love thinking of the young artisans I met who crafted our tile.

It is 60% matte to 40% gloss glaze. It is also three off white colors set in a brick herringbone pattern that we thought suited the square area. We had the artists set the tile on mesh. I laid out the mesh sections on our DR table to get the final BS. We switched just a few tiles from the mesh and filled in with loose tiles. The other side of the kitchen will have a 4" running bond of the three colors backing our range penninsula. Next weekend, DH tells me.

In the house we sold to move here, I had plain white counters and a marble tile baking section. At the time, linear multicolored mosaic BS and dark granites were in, so our realtor let me know our kitchen was out. The pendulum has swung now and my old kitchen would be in. Now, I have the very frowned upon busy BS matched with granite with 'movement'. And then two tone cabinets!

It's really been a labor of love and our little kitchen feels like it fits our little house. Thank you to all the kind GWs who have helped me get here with your insights and knowledge.

BEFORE:

NOW

Comments (17)