SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddinsb

Calling StrawChicago - re Clay/Alkaline Soil & Amendments/Fertilizers

I was trying to follow your advice scattered across various threads, and then thought I'd message you directly, but don't see how to do that...hence this general thread. Hope you see it!

I live in Coastal California - up in the hills, about 3 miles from ocean as crow flies. My soil is generally clay, and, I guess, tends toward alkaline. I have a sort of tough love approach to the roses. I do dormant spray (oil & copper) in January when I do the big prune, but apart from that I generally don't spray.

I'm reading your advice on the story thread about fish and potassium and unlocking minerals in alkaline soil, etc. But I feel like I'd need to take pages of notes and then still have to figure out what, exactly, applies to me! I know there are other CA folks with clay/alkaline, so maybe we could all benefit from your advice?

Anyway -- would love to have you articulate here, in one place, your thoughts on fertilizers and amendments, if you have time and are willing to share! If not, no worries. Maybe someone else might weigh in... Thanks!

Comments (162)