SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalmacca

Root rot with in-ground citrus; advice to re-plant in clay soil

I planted 7 in-ground citrus trees in mid Feb 2016. Trees are all in 5 gallon containers. Soil is heavy clay and was not amended prior to planting. Irrigation is via 2 subsurface bubblers (0.25 gym) installed on opposite sides of trees in 3" perforated PVC pipe sleeves (backfilled with gravel). Because of concern about avoiding root rot, I have limited irrigation to 5 gallons of water per tree once every 2 weeks. I fertilized with Gro-Power Citrus & Avocado (8-6-8) 3 weeks ago.

Unfortunately, the trees are not putting out any new growth and are instead showing signs of distress: pale or yellow leaves with necrotic tips; branch die back. Even with limited irrigation, the root ball is consistently moist.

1. I am now worried about Phytophthora root rot. What do you think based on the photos?

2. I am thinking of pulling the trees out and discarding them. What do you think about spraying the planting holes with Monterey Agri-Fos fungicide to eliminate any residual root rot from the soil?

3. I am thinking of planting new trees in doughnut mounds on top of the existing clay soil as recommended here by "copingwithclay". I am concerned, however, about locating the new mounds on top of the old planting holes. What should I fill the old planting holes with to prevent the mounds from sinking? I am concerned about the old holes creating a bathtub like effect where water will collect and not drain. I understand the preferred approach would be to locate the mounds atop undisturbed clay, but my existing irrigation supply limits my location options.

Thanks very much for any advice! I need it.

Comments (8)