SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Clay Soil... ready to plant in ground, but how?

kristimama
16 years ago

Hi all,

So I am ready to plant my new owari satsuma dwarf in the ground but we have heavy clay soils in the East Bay (Northern California). It's made worse by the fact that we spent much of last year doing construction so the soil got even more compacted and the builder was moving our soils around from site to site.

I will plant into the planting border near the perimiter of my foundation, in an L shaped corner of the house that faces west and south. It's near the lawn, but because it's set back into the corner, there's a triangle shaped planting area, about 5' x 4' with about 6' wide on the front of the angle. (Pythagoras theorem anyone? LOL)

About 6 months ago, when we put in the lawn, we had the beds tilled once with organic material to about 8" down.

Last weekend, when I went out to weed the bed and get it ready, I realized it's still full of huge chunks of hard clay, so I mixed in some more organic soil amendment to about 6". (I used a mix from the nursery that contains fir bark and forest humus fortified with 15% chicken manure, worm castings, bat guano, and kelp meal.)

I realize that you never want to dig a hole and then amend just the hole, but I thought I saw Rhizo say somewhere that for difficult soils you till the whole bed.

My questions:

1) Is the 8" that we initially tilled the entire bed sufficiently deep for the roots to go out and find themselves? (I told my husband the analogy of kids that never want to leave home. LOL) Or should I go a little deeper in the area where we're planting.

2) The bed looks like it could still do for more organic material to improve the drainage situation. Water pools on top in a couple places, still. Would you add more organic material, or leave be? (Again, I'm talking about the entire corner of soil, not just the hole where I'm putting the tree into.)

3) How far from the foundation of the house do I have to plant? (Or really how close to it can I plant?) I'd like to nest the tree as far back into that corner as I can so as not to cover a window when the tree is full ground.

4) Any other tips from seasoned in-ground planters? Perlite? Fertilizer? Any special magic grow dance to bring favor from the citrus gods?

Anything I'm missing?

THANKS!!!!

Comments (3)