SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bubblemama

peach and nectarine planted in clay soil

bubblemama
15 years ago

Hello all,

I've searched this forum and others (like a good newb) for an answer to my situation but haven't found one.

Two years ago, my landscaper friend planted a dwarf peach and a dwarf nectarine (don't know which varieties)for me. I know he amended the soil (with planting mix??) but have no idea how big the holes were or what the native soil in those holes looked like.

They get about 10-12 hours of sun each day, depending on the season and produce leaves and flowers abundantly each spring but the they have not produced a single fruit and, by the end of summer, the leaves look horrible are dropping. I admit I've not been good about fertilizing them. I've seen quite a few darn grasshoppers on them and have found a few scales. I have sprayed them with a Neem spray that I've used effectively on other trees with scale. I haven't found any scales in the last month or so.

(Coming to the home stretch here.......)

Two weeks ago, I dug a trench about 2'd by 8'l by 1'w in the same area of the trees for a garden project and filled the trench with water just out of curiosity. IT TOOK AT LEAST 10 HOURS FOR THE WATER TO DRAIN.

So.........is all lost? Is there any way to amend the soil now? Anything I can do for better drainage?

Or, is lack of fertilizing (bad mommy) the problem here?

Thanks for reading this novel - just wanted to include all that I thought might be relevant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Stephanie

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022