Let's talk - DESSERTS!

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Inspired by Martha_Scott43, I baked a peach pie.
What goodies are everyone else making?

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Here is a picture of the pie:

9 Likes Save    
Martha Scott

Looks lovely! But, what -- only ONE picture (BIG GRIN)!

1 Like Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
party_music50

I won't be getting any peaches this year -- the *&%!!&^# squirrels stole every one while they were still small and green. I sat on the porch the other night and watched as two squirrels ran back and forth across the telephone pole wires while carrying my green pears in their mouths. I don't expect to be able to harvest many (any?) pears now either. So far, the deer have only stolen about 1/3 of the apples from my early tree, so I made an apple crisp last night. :)

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Here's the pie after being cut. DH's piece came out prettier but he did the snatch-and-run before I could grab the camera!

The crust is the old trusty BHG recipe.

3 Likes Save    
party_music50

I definitely ate a whole lot more than I intended to. :O) Here's what's left of my crisp and it isn't even 24 hrs old. lol!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
plllog

Lovely pie!

I seem to have no oomph for making pies. Can''t motivate myself to make ice cream either.

I'm trying to talk myself into making strawberry cake. I have the berries and eggs. Sweets are more snacks here than desserts.

Nice pie. :) I want some...

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Yum to all of the above!

I also keep wanting to make some ice cream, but can't seem to muster up the gumption. My waistline is thankful about that.

I've been making banana/strawberry pudding cakes because they're so easy and quick to whip up and I always seem to have a couple of overripe bananas. I came up with the perfect blend of flours to get a nice fluffy result: 1/2 brown rice flour and 1/2 AP flour. I'm planning on making one later today.

I have a yummy quick oatmeal cookie recipe that we love too - always with cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins and walnuts.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

p-m50, what do you make your apple crisp topping with?

Save    
party_music50

For this one, I used 1/2 c oats, 1/3 c butter, 2/3 c light brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and some handfuls of sliced almonds.

Islay Corbel

Tomorrow, Pasteis de nata as friends are coming to dinner. I'll try to remember to take a pic.🤔

lindac92

Tuesday was my birthday and my daughter made a pecan rum cake....but there is nothing ;left to take a picture of!!

nancyofnc

I've made a lot of desserts over the last 4 months of seclusion. Yesterday though I just made plain ol' shortbread cookies. Lovely to dunk in tea. I haven't made them in at least 15 years.

party_music50

Pecan rum cake sounds good! My father used to make a sourdough rum cake that was out of this world!

It's been too hot and dry here to want to bake or eat much of anything, let alone desserts. Isaisa brought us just 1.3" of rain on Tuesday, but at least it's something.... it was a good baking day. :O)

masha babets

does anybody try cake with apricot? how to make apricots sweeter?

Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
chloebud

"Yesterday though I just made plain ol' shortbread cookies."

Nancy, I love shortbread and make if fairly often. So buttery and good!

plllog

Well, if we're talking the whole of pandemic time, I mentioned these in Fun with Flour, but I've made Lindac's Mrs. Campbell's Rhubarb Pie with Meringue (I'm not sure if that's how Linda titled it exactly) and Carolb's Uncle Barney's Spritz Cookies. Both recipes are awesome! The spritz cookies are perfect little butter cookies. Immensely satisfying. Linda's pie is the best rhubarb pie I've ever tasted. It's very simple, brings out the sweetness and tang of the rhubarb, and doesn't muck it up with other flavors. Eggs give it richness. It's probably an error, but mine bubbled over a bit, and the filling caramelized to crunchy at those edges, which was awesome too. Not that rhubarb is still in season, but if you haven't tried it, you should!

Islay Corbel

Pasteis.....I remembered to take a pic!

4 Likes Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan

I made my usual summertime Blueberry Pie, except I used Ina Garten's crust recipe. It was good, but I like the taste of my all butter crust recipe better. Except Ina's crust, with that little bit of shortening, made the crimped edge hold better. First pic, part shortening crust; second pic, all butter crust.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
chloebud

lovemycorgi, that pie looks wonderful! Speaking of Ina, I like to keep 2 or 3 of her crostata crusts in the freezer. Thinking of using one for either a berries or rhubarb this weekend. I like an all-butter crust for crostatas.

plllog

Islay, is that made with puff or choux? It looks like a total eggdulgence and decadently delicious. :)

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Islay, those look so pretty. lovemycorgi, oh my, blueberry pie! :-) My favorite in the whole world. DH hates it, of course :rolleyes: I agree that shortening makes a "sturdier" crust but an all-butter crust has better flavor.

Save    
petalique

Yum! Those pies and desserts looks wonderful.

It was so hot and dry her in July and I couldn’t get a lot of things done. The critters and birds and wild turkeys devoured the raspberries & blueberries. A hiking friend says that it is so dry that there were not many wild blueberries and acorns fell off the oaks while still small and green. We put water out for birds and critters.

I have been a “pie face” all my life, so I truly miss the wild blueberry and fruit pies of summer. So thanks for your postings. Almost as rewarding as having a slice.

Islay Corbel

Pies look great! Plllog, puff. It was too thick. Oh well, you live and learn!

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Tile Let’s Talk Tile: An Alphabetical Guide to Tile Terminology
Get set for a tile project with this handy glossary of shapes, materials, finishes and more
Full Story
Fences and Gates Let's Talk Trash Bins
No one gazes fondly on garbage cans. Keep your street cred intact and your bins under wraps with these camouflage solutions
Full Story
Green Building Let’s Clear Up Some Confusion About Solar Panels
Different panel types do different things. If you want solar energy for your home, get the basics here first
Full Story