SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Milled wheat berries for whole wheat bread

Lars
3 years ago

I was having trouble (temporarily) finding whole wheat flour, and so I ordered some wheat berries, which arrived a few days ago. I wasn't out of bread at the time (and do not wan too much on hand), and so I waiting until today to grind some wheat to make bread.

I knew I could grind wheat in my Vitamix blender because I have the grain container, and I thought I remembered the instructions. Anyway, I put 2-3/4 cups of grain into the blender to grind it, brought the speed up to high, and ground the grains into fine flour in less than one minute. I read later that you are not supposed to grind more than 2 cups of grain at a time, but it was too late by then.

I made the dough based on the whole wheat Pullman bread recipe that I've been using, which uses equal amounts of whole wheat and bread flour, but since I ended up with extra whole wheat flour, I decided to use all of the (3 cups) plus 1-1/2 cups of A-P flour (not having bread flour on hand). I also used 1/4 cup of semolina and 2 Tbsp of potato flour plus a mixture of milk and water and 2-1/2 oz of butter. Instead of white sugar, I used coconut palm sugar, which I really like the flavor of - it does have a hint of coconut flavor to it IMO.

Right now the dough is resting for its first rise, and I do have some concerns:

1. The whole wheat flour seems to have more bran that I expected, and I felt some sharp specks when I kneaded it by hand - these may cut the strands of gluten
  2. The dough was not as sticky as usual but was easy to knead, and I did not add any extra flour during kneading - I wonder if the dough is hydrated enough.

I don't think there is much I can do about the wheat bran cutting the gluten strands at this point, but I have not had a problem with the dough rising enough when using Bob's Red Mill WW flour.

As for hydration, I think perhaps I should leave the dough in the fridge overnight and bake it tomorrow morning. Otherwise, I think I could mist it with water when I form it into a log for the Pullman pan. I've done this before with good results. I often mist bread dough with water at this stage instead of using flour.

I did not grease the bowl that I used for the first rise, as I used the KA mixing bowl that I used for the first mixing, and it felt like it was already greased. In the past, I have found that greasing the bowl made the dough not stick to itself when forming into a loaf unless I misted it with water.

Here's a thread I found from Annie that describes some of her problems with home-ground flour.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!