SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Second semi-fail with home ground flour.

annie1992
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

OK, second try. I decided to try Ann T's "Forkish" method on this 100% whole wheat bread I'm trying to make with my fresh home ground wheat.

So, into the bowl goes the flour and the water, at about a 66% hydration. The flour hydrated quickly and too well, it was too dry and made that heavy lump in the bowl:

I made it a bit wetter by wetting my hands and folding the "dough". Meanwhile I started my yeast with more flour and some molasses:

I left the "starter" and the dough ball for a couple of hours and played with Madi and Maci, then came back and dumped the starter on top of the dough ball and tried to "pinch and fold" the dough. As usual, I was an abysmal failure, and after about 10 minutes I just squished the dough and starter together with my hands until I had no more little hard dough balls, that took about 10 more minutes, LOL.

Of course, with the addition of the starter, the dough was far too slack, but at least I could fold it now. I did the "folding" three more times, letting the dough approximately double each time, then formed my loaves. Free form probably wasn't the best choice, but I had been messing with the stuff all day and was losing patience. I just wanted to bake some bread for toast for breakfast, so I let it rise and put it into the oven.

Without the support of a pan, a dutch oven or a couche they spread out and I ended up with large circles of bread about an inch thick. It tasted OK, but still not really better than the stuff I've been making with King Arthur whole wheat flour and the bread machine. (sigh) I did use molasses in place of honey in this batch and Elery liked that better, so I'll probably keep that addition. I also added pecans for some crunch.

We got up this morning and didn't bother with toast, thereby negating the need for bread, LOL, although I probably could have sliced the loaf in half like a giant burger bun and toasted it. (sigh)

The texture was better with this method than the other, so I'll try another batch, starting with more hydration before adding the starter, and baking it in a dutch oven for support. Elery happily eats it all, so he's enjoying all this experimentation. If I don't get a better loaf next time, it's back to just tossing everything into the Zojirushi, then baking in a loaf pan, and he's just going to have to live without that crunchy "artisan" crust he wants or deal with commercially available bread flour.

I did just get a new Cook's Illustrated with a whole wheat pancake recipe that starts with grinding wheat berries, that's now on my list of things to try. Plus my corn is up, so that'll be in the future a couple of months from now.

Annie

Comments (14)