SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Bread flour: I am stoked.

chas045
11 years ago

I like to bake bread, rolls and pizza and often use bread flour. I also like to save money and have been using Con-Agra bread flour from COSTCO that some of you have avoided. I havenâÂÂt used King ArthurâÂÂs due to the expense although I should have at least tried it, being research minded.

Eight years ago we moved to a semi rural area of central North Carolina 10 miles from town. I live near a main state route but I enjoy exploring the more direct but narrower back country roads near our house. That straight route directly toward Burlington changes names three times as it intersects moderately main roads and becomes Lindley Mill Road and not surprisingly passes by Lindley Mills which is a series of large silos etc. out in the middle of nowhere. While it appeared fairly modern it seemed deserted to me and I assumed it was shut down like most fabric mills in the state. Perhaps it was the weekend.

On Friday, I found a rustic bread website that said Lindley Mills is very much functioning, producing organic flour of many sorts including bread flours and it would accept phone pre-orders for walk in retail sale when they had time. SO I am stoked. I have ordered a 25# bag of their organic white flour for pick up Monday. I suspect that the walk in business is small because they suggested it would be wise to bring some ones because they sometimes ran out of singles and the charge would be $16. I asked the person who answered the phone that there was a rumor that they supplied the flour for King Arthur. She said no, they only supply KAâÂÂs Organic flours since they only produce organic materials. So, on Monday, I will get to drive straight up the road for eight miles to my almost personal mill to pick up flour that is presumably fresher than what KA receives. Did I say IâÂÂm stoked?

By the way, from the Lindley Mills website:
The mill was established in 1755 by Thomas Lindley at its present location on Cane Creek in Graham, North Carolina. Near the end of the Revolutionary War, the mill was the site of the Battle of LindleyâÂÂs Mill. The Governor of North Carolina, his cabinet, and approximately 1,000 men were involved in the battle, which is the subject of several historical writings and books.
Earlier, British General Lord Cornwallis visited the mill to âÂÂpurchaseâ flour for his army.
The Lindley family owned the mill for approximately 100 years. Two hundred and twenty years after its inception direct descendants of Thomas Lindley began efforts to restore the mill and produce flour again. For the past 35 years the mill has been grinding organically grown grain and is operated by ninth-generation Lindleys.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio