SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Flours: cake vs. bread vs.AP in cookies

bbstx
10 years ago

I made the JACQUES TORRES CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES recipe and loved it. But I am curious about one portion of the recipe. It calls for 2 cups minus 2 Tablespoons of cake flour and 1 2/3 cups bread flour.

I prefer to measure by weight so I started looking around to see what each flour weighed per cup. AP, unsifted = 4 oz or 95 grams; cake flour, unsifted = 3.5 oz or 82.5 grams; bread flour, unsifted = 5 oz or 110 grams.

I don't understand, but I am aware that different flours are used to provide different textures, and from my limited understanding that is due to the amount of protein in each type of flour. The end of the chart gives the protein for each flour (g/cup). Cake = 8; bread = 14; AP = 10 to 12.

So, here is my question. Why not just use AP flour in the cookie recipe. It calls for nearly equal volumes of bread and cake flour. Bread at 14 and Cake at 8 averages out to 11, which is also the average for AP flour.

Is this recipe needlessly complicated or is there some valid reason for all the different flours?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pastryscoop.com/category/look-it-up/flour/

Comments (13)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio