Am I the only one who thinks this is cute??

Jasdip

My end table light broke this week, and I've been 'making do'. I'm not artsy-fartsy, high-end, snobbish etc etc. I'm frugal.

I was in Value Village yesterday, and their prices on clothing and furnishings etc is too high. I can buy new at WM for the prices they charge. So I didn't buy anything. I was in WalMart and browsed their lamps, and they were all $40 for small lamps, nothing nice at all.

I was at a thrift shop today and spied this candlestick, which is actually what I was wanting. $8 for the lamp, and they also had new shades for $3; so $11 for the whole thing. I like it so much that I'm tempted to go get the other one (they had 2).

SaveComment41Like11
Comments (41)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I like it very nice condition too. Is it difficult to get it to stand on the wire shelf?

Good purchase!

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Raven, it fits very comfortably on the wire, solid as anything. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Save    
Lindsey_CA

I like it a lot! We have a lamp with the same base. Great minds think alike. 🙂

I think you should go back and buy the other one, too.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Sweet!

Save    
pudgeder

Looks nice!

Save    
Lukki Irish

I like the lamp, I like how it peaks through the plant too. nice!

Save    
maifleur03

I had a lamp similar to this one. It had a slightly different base and came with a similar shade. Problem I discovered when I had to change the light bulb was that the shade was too close to the bulb and the inner lining was damaged. A lot would depend on where the bulbs are in relation to the sides of the shade. Since it was the lamp we left burning when we went somewhere I considered that were were very lucky that it had not caught on fire. Had it until it fell to a early grave but with a much larger and straighter shade.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

I like it -- yes go back and get the other one so you have a pair :-)

Save    
eld6161

Score!

Save    
desertsteph

go get the other one before someone else does - like me! I'll look for one at my W next trip there. I really like that lamp!

Save    
Jasdip

Desertsteph, I got it at a thrift store. I called and the second one is still there, but it's missing the finial. I think that's the correct term......the little holder that screws in at the top; the pineapple on my lamp. they'll sell the lamp to me for $5. I'm not sure what I can use as a stand-in.

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

I agree, good score.

I needed a small lamp for my kitchen counter, couldn't find exactly what I wanted even in an antique shop. Guess what I found and where? A lamp in the shape of the Eiffel Tower, painted silver, at Dollar General for $12! I'm still using it.

Save    
arkansas girl

I think it's really cute, we have two almost like those. If its feet don't want to sit on that wire, you could just put a little tile under it. You can usually find those at the store for a dollar or so.

1 Like Save    
kathyg_in_mi

They sell finials at Walmart I believe.. or check Amazon. The thrift store might have some too! Also try a furniture store.

Save    
maddielee

I like it! You might want to put a piece of glass, or a book, under so it doesn’t slide in the opening of the wire.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

That is very cute indeed. You can find finials on eBay, they may have a matching one listed. Some of the big box stores sell them as well.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Finials are sold lots of places

You can always get a smaller bulb like the ones for ceiling fans. Or led that do not get as hot.

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I love it!! Go for it. Yes, finials are found in many places. Even a lamp repair place would have some.

Save    
desertsteph

Desertsteph, I got it at a thrift store.

thx Jasdip! I won't look at W then. I guess I just remembered you'd looked at W, but I never saw one there I liked as much as the one you bought. I don't get out to thrift stores anymore and I do miss that. The closest store to me is our GW and that's 6 miles away.

yes, finials are around. buy the 2nd one and then you can find one you like. if not a match use it elsewhere in your home. It wouldn't bother me if the finials were different.

I had to get smaller bulbs for one of my ceiling light fixtures, so they're available.

Save    
blfenton

That is a great lamp! Yes, go back and get the other one. and finials are easy to find.

OT - I love that picture of your husband.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Jasdip
Ava

It's a lovely lamp. I would get the other one if I had a spot for it. As someone mentioned I would place a book under it on the wire top.

Save    
Raye Smith

Nice lamp, Lowes and At Home sell finals. That would typically be called a buffet lamp since that's what it would be used for.

Save    
Jasdip

I'm definitely getting the other lamp this morning!! The more I look at it, the more I love it.

So far I've tried an LED and chanedelier bulb. The light is on a timer, and the chandelier bulb makes it so warm and cosy looking.

1 Like Save    
georgysmom2

It's perfect. Don't you just love it when spending so little money brings you such joy?!

1 Like Save    
marilyn_c

I like it!

Save    
share_oh

I like it too!

I have to ask how are you caring for your evergreen? I have one of those from 2 Christmas' ago and it's struggling. I put it outside a bit this summer but it kept turning brown and dropping branches. So he's back inside now. Yours looks perfect!

Save    
Jasdip

Share, I've had mine for a few years now. I call him Rudy and decorate him for Christmas, he's my tree.

I stuck him outside last summer, thinking he'd like the sun......they don't at all! Some of his lower branches turned brown and died. Once they die and fall off, they don't re-grow, so leave yours inside.

He might get a couple hours of sunlight, I get late afternoon sun in my livingroom......more in the winter, as the tree out front blocks a lot of the sun in the summer, which is good. Lots of water. When I lift the pot and it's light it's time to give a good soaking.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

Great buffet lamp, and,YES, you need the other one! I agree finials are so easy to find.

Save    
share_oh

Thanks Jasdip! I will follow your suggestions!

Save    
hallngarden

So pretty, hope you get the other one.

Save    
Jasdip

I got the other one!!! There's more than just the final missing, the harp/hoop part is as well.

A FB friend has 1/2 dozen pairs of finals in her drawer and she's going to send me what I want!

I stopped in a hardware store on the way home, and they had the large harps, I didn't think of sizes! LOL So now I'm on the hunt for a small one.

3 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

At Home sells the harps also.

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Any lamp repair place would have them as well.

Save    
maifleur03

Most of the harps used to be slightly springy so that they would be more stable and less likely to pull out of the holder. Times do change but I liked them pressing on the sides of the holder.

1 Like Save    
georgysmom2

Bring the harp from the other lamp with you when yu go looking so you're sure to get the right size.

2 Likes Save    
katlan

Nice!

Save    
woodrose

I like your lamps ! You been given some great suggestions. I want to add you could also buy a cheap lamp at the thrift store to get a harp and finial.

Save    
chloebud

So nice you got the second one!

Save    
lily316

Good score. I think they're very sweet. The only thing besides clothes that I ever bought at the thrift store was a lamp. I loved the large ceramic base and thought I'd get a new shade but grew to love the shade too and it's in my bedroom. Five dollars because it was 1/2 price on seniors day.

I have three giant Norfolk pines that live in my basement greenhouse in the winter but all three do well outside in the shade. One my little granddaughter gave me for Xmas one year and it was six inches high and is now getting to six feet!!!

Save    
Jasdip

Wow Lily!!! Fantastic job on the Norfolk pines!!!! I'd love to see pics.

The more I think of it, the more I like the idea if picking up a cheap lamp just for the harp/finial. The harp is $10 at Home Depot from the advice I was given on Freecycle, etc. I can probably get a lamp cheaper.

1 Like Save    
honibaker

Jasdip, you inspired me....I went to Goodwill on Saturday (everyone was masked and distancing), and wande

ed to the furniture section. I found a lamp I loved! It's light green mercury glass, with brushed nickel trim and finial. It was 9.99. I saw a lot of workout wear from Nordstrom's also (never saw that before), so maybe they're getting new corporate "donors"?

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Container Gardens Want Compelling Garden Minimalism? Think One Plant, One Pot
Highlight a show-worthy stunner or elevate a pedestrian plant by giving it a solo starring role in the garden
Full Story
Farm Your Yard If You Have Room for Only One Fruit Tree ...
Juice up a small garden with one of these easier-care or worth-the-effort fruit trees for a mild climate
Full Story