SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michellemarie_gw

Am I the only one that thinks...

michellemarie
14 years ago

why bother posting pics of your finished kitchen if you aren't willing to share the details and specifics of your project? I could just as easily do an image search on Google if all I wanted was photos. There is a huge dollar value difference to the finished kitchens and it makes me think when you post pics of your very expensive finished kitchen with links to your vacations you are just on some ego trip. I could do the same, but I wouldn't even think of it.

Comments (78)

• country_smile
    14 years ago

I know the OP is not specifically referring to me because it's been months since I posted my kitchen photos. But if details were expected, than I committed a faux pas. If that came across in a negative manner, it was not my intent.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me if a poster does or doesn't list details. I enjoy looking at photos of all different types of remodels - low-end, high-end, DIY, complete "gut" jobs, cosmetic changes only, etc. If I have a question, sometimes I send a direct e-mail, sometimes I ask right on the forum. If I don't get a response, no problem, it's not something that bothers me.

I applaud anyone that is willing to share their kitchen photos with the forum members (and forum lurkers for that matter)...and to those that submitted to the FKB, thank-you and a BIG thank you to starpooh too. The FKB was a big help during my planning stage.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Many thanks to those who provided positive feedback for me. :) I will keep posting/responding with what I've got until I have something better to share and then I'll post that too. :)

I do have to say that I have been guilty of missing questions that have been asked in a thread. If I'm not the OP and a thread slips off of the first few pages (which happens quickly sometimes) then it is easy to lose track. I have trouble keeping track of threads that I've responded to.

I caught one thread a month later that had popped back up to the first page and realized there were questions for me, which I quickly responded to. I'm always happy to answer questions when someone sends me an email as well.

Love the FKB and I can't believe how much time and effort it must take for starpooh to maintain it. Many thanks! I'll hopefully get it together enough to post on there in the near future.

• Related Discussions

Gaudy Gardens

Q

Comments (49)
    Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about azaleas clashing. Drive along highway 210 near Smithfield some time, you'll see what I mean. If there really was a whole spectrum of color there wouldn't be a problem with my eyes getting hurt, but there usually is not -- just two colors that really don't agree. :) That has actually turned me away from the Asian azaleas more than anything else, except I really love how they are used in many gardens in Chapel Hill, like on Laurel (Pill) Hill and Gimghoul Road. Plus it's only worth it for me to have azaleas I really love, because the deer will eat those. I fixed those deer last year by throwing urine-soaked shavings from the horse's stalls onto the azaleas -- ha, not as visually distracting as you might think, and it worked! I still say the structure of the garden is more important than color, unless we're talking about a combination of orange and pink. :) And then of course there's a lot of exceptions to that rule. The pink-flowered spirea (which looks magenta to me) looks great with butterfly weed. In fact, I've never seen anything that didn't go well with butterfly weed. I think because it's a small amount of a very vibrant color.
    ...See More

Best Seed Selection?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Carmellia  I live in near Mantorville, so weÂre practically neighbors! I donÂt know any place in our neck-of-the-woods that sell pearl onions specifically. I am unclear if pearl onions are a specific type or just a common variety that might be a short day instead of a long day. I have been growing a variety of onions for years, but have always used either plants or seeds. I dislike using sets (the bulbs); they never make really good onions and they store poorly. The best source I have found for seeds is on the Internet from Harvest Moon Farms at http://www.felcopruners.net/Onion%20Seed%20-%20Spring.0.html The BarlettaÂs might do well. If you are using the pearls for pickling you might try Cippolini for a change, I have pickled them many times and people love them. Unfortunately seeds need to be started fairly early, like in February. For storage onions, I always plant Copra because they can store for up to a year in the right conditions. I use plants and get them from Dixondale at http://www.dixondalefarms.com/products.htm. I actually have several bundles left over that you can have if you want to come get them.
    ...See More

Justifying one splurgy thing after another

Q

Comments (26)
    When we actually broke ground on the footers on our retirement home that we GC'd, is when I started shopping online and around town for 'stuffs'. For my kitchen only for this example, I bought my stove, DW, advantium, trash compactor from the same ebay dealer and all with a four year warranty on appliances. THIS is important, because I bought my top of the line 48" Pro Thermador Range for $3K. I told the dealer that I wasn't too proud for scratch and dent and asked if he ever had any 'deals on appliances'? He told me about the range that had been dented on the side by FedX. I did have some minor problems with the range that had nothing to do with the FedX dent. At the end of the day, not beknownst by me at the time, but I was told that my range could not be fixed and that Thermador wasn't making the replacement part, so two burners weren't working. Ended up receiving $9,300 from the service contract company to buy out the remainding value of my range. The "problem" was that I had to keep the range and dispose of it myself. I called another guy to come look at the range that was not a 'contract' employee of the service contract company and he said the first guy was wrong and misdiagnosed the problem. How do we know? Because he ordered the part and it didn't fix the problem. He had NO PROBLEM finding this 'elusive' part. My guy is coming today to put the part it the range to fix it. I figured to try to fix it with someone else or sell it. It's great other than the two burners, which by the way, one of the burners 'not' working, decided to work the other day. ;] Go figure. Sorry for digressing...I'm just a proponent of extended warranties. I bought all of my appliances, lights, sink, disposal, faucet online for about $8K or less for my kitchen. These same appliances would have cost me in the ball park of $25,000. Figure I got $9,300 back AND it's only going to cost less than $250 to fix my range, and I'm to the good! And that's even taking into account that I did make ONE mistake. My mistake: I bought two "new U Lines" from a bad ebay dealer in our town that has the partial name of 'atlantic' in their ebay name. These units were new and I was told they came with a warranty. When one compressor stopped working, I called for service. ULine laughed because THESE UNITS WERE 14 YEARS OLD AND THE FREON IS NO LONGER LEGAL THAT WAS USED IN THESE SYSTEMS. I ended up having to just buy a new undercounter fridge, but bought it from the guy I got my range from. This time I know I bought a 4 year extended warranty AND I know the manufaturing date was less than 2 years from the date of purchase. So, you CAN TRUST the seller 'saving-U-money' on eBay. His store is called Buy Appliances, maybe with a hyphen, too. Not sure. It's a 'tire' store out of Alabama. They are GREAT. FWIW: I stored all of my appliances and purchases in my garage. I called many eBay dealers directly. EX: my lighting for my home. My lighting budget was $16K. (for over 6,000 sf under roof). I got ALL of my interior lights and fans for about $4,500, including shipping, no tax. He put everythign on a pallet and it only cost $165 to ship. I bought from Steve at SeaGull Lighting and he sells on eBay. I cut out the middleman. You can make deals online. My pro Franke sink, single basin, 16 gauge ran about $600 with shipping. It cost over $1,800 locally plus tax. OH>>>MY PLUMBING! My DH just wanted to go to HD for plumbing. UNTIL I TOOK HIM SHOPPING. He did not want to hold up the plumber a day or two waiting on a shipment. HE CHANGED HIS MIND ASAP once he saw how much what I was paying online Vs what it cost in the stores. Just move your cars out of your garage for a few months and think about all of the money you're going to save. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Am I the only one who thinks this way.........

Q

Comments (36)
    No offense, after all, you did ask, but frankly I think it was a tacky thing to say. I'm sure glad it wasn't said to the kid. Saying is that ALL? would probably crush the guy. It raises the point/problem I have about how materialistic society has become and with all the Hallmark Holidays forcing people to spend money they don't have on things the recipient can't and giving it to people they may not even like that much! Then comes the issue for some: Is $2500 significant to this guy? I know it would be for me. But I know people that will spend that for trinkets and would consider a ring like that an insult. Lots of things can come into play, right? I see the logic on both sides of the gift issue. And yes, traditionally it's a conditional gift and in most states, legally it's considered a conditional gift. Then again, I also see 2/3 of all marriages ending in divorce and with the lifelong commitment now turned into till irreconcilable differences do us part it could well be a very very extravagant gift. I definitely think the guy's mother felt a little defensive and I see why. It probably was quite a sacrifice for him and rather than give her a bunch of trinkets and trash, he chose to put it all together. Reminds me of people born near Christmas and are offended that they don't have a separate birthday party & present instead of a combined. If I ever get engaged again, I think I'll go for a $25.00 ring and a $2475 television/audio system or something and make it fair, she can keep the ring on her and I'll keep the TV and stuff at my place until we get married! :D
    ...See More
  • sabjimata
    14 years ago

Ok. Now I want to see the kitchen. Can someone at least give me a clue what to "search" for?

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

I don't get this. If someone has a new kitchen and they're excited about it and, not knowing exactly what people will want to know about, they neglect to post all the little details, now they're on an ego trip? Because they happen to have vacation pictures in the same photo sharing account? So now we all have to open another photo sharing account and post our kitchen pictures separately just in case someone gets offended that we have both a kitchen and go on vacation? No one is obliged to look at the rest of another person's pictures for crying out loud.

I don't know what post you're referring to and I don't care. Maybe the person didn't see the questions and that's why they didn't answer; maybe they're at work or otherwise busy. Maybe they had help from a KD or friend and they don't know all the details! Some people don't know what finish their floor is or the manufacturer of their tile or what kinds of knobs the cabinet maker used. Does that mean they have a big ego? Does it mean they have no right to share photos? Why assume the worst about someone?

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Here's the thread in question. It's not typical. Nothing more than a title announcing that the kitchen is almost done and a link to a photo. Nothing more. For some members who were having trouble figuring out how to see more photos of the kitchen, another member provided a link which opened access to the entire album -- including the vacation photos. (IOW, the OP did not specifically invite GW members to scour her entire photo album.) Several posts then followed with gushing praises and requests for info on the details. That was a week ago. The OP has yet to respond to any of the comments or questions on the thread she started.

As I said earlier, there could be many reasons why the member chose to unveil her new kitchen in this manner. But, at this point, none of us knows what that is and the continued speculation about it doesn't seem especially positive or productive. Moreover, since it's referencing only one kitchen and only one thread out of a host of thousands here on the KF, I'm thinking it's time to stop all the drama and just move on. Hopefully, the OP will rejoin us at some point and answer all the inquiries about her gorgeous kitchen! And, if not, just have a drool. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Kitchen

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

What's the big mystery? It's a copper farm sink, soapstone counters Rohl bridge faucet, Kitchen Aid dishwasher.

Some people want to show but not tell. Or perhaps the person doesn't know that she should tell.

• rookie_2010
    14 years ago

I second chicagoans,
    I'm just glad she was generous enough to share the photos with us.

I can relate to this whole thread: I bought my 4 year old a gardening tool kit today. After I gave it to her, she didn't say "Thank you", she cried the whole way home because the kit didn't have a watering can. I started to wonder if she was getting spoiled............

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Roc, LOL! The "mystery" is that no one knew what kitchen was being discussed. That was causing some members to wonder if it was their kitchen that was in question; others whether they had posted "correctly" in the past; and still others, whether they should post at all, etc. Plus, photos of the entire kitchen that is the subject of this thread really do show more than the counters, sink area, etc. As a total package, it's a lovely kitchen, imo . . . even if not a "mystery." :-)

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Here's the sink link and a link to Grothouse Lumber which makes similar countertops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper farm sink

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

well, i'm happy i saw this thread now just because i got to see the pics. i don't know how i missed this! thanks marthavila for posting. the entire space is gorgeous and it looks in fact to be a new build, or at the very least an extensive remodel. obviously whomever is responsible for such loveliness is otherwise engaged.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

LOL, rococogurl! i was going to identify the rohl bridge faucets but didn't have the product numbers. ;*P

the cabs are custom but i can't credit the maker, sorry. LOVE this space!

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

MV you are one cool sleuth. I never would have found that thread. LOL. The merch is always easier.

kates -- very tough to id cabinets but it's a very nice 8 mm island counter -- looks like a custom edge. Could be English.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Maybe she didn't check the reply box and has no idea there were posts to her unveiling. That happened to me at first. I wasn't used to posting to this type of forum and really had to remember to go back and edit the misspelled words and fix the punctuation. AND check the reply box! Sometimes posts do go to page 3 or 4 in just a day or two. If you use your work computer or just don't have the time every day to check the forum, it can get away from you.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Cali_Wendy, Not only is it okay for you to post exactly as you have been, but, personally, I rather expect it!! We have lots of lurkers who just lurk, find out what they want to know and never participate, which is perfectly fine. We have some lurkers like you who aren't TKO enough to join in in the beginning but finally realize, "Hey, I know the answer to that!" and join to help others and pay it forward. That's perfectly fine, and actually laudable. Then we have the people whose first post is to show off their finished kitchens! Those are the ones that make me think, "Well, fine, but who the heck are you?" We have members who actually find us and join after their kitchens are done, but their first posts aren't usually about, "Hey, look at me," even if they do post their kitchens.

As to the mystery kitchen, does anyone know this poster? As far as I can tell she joined in January to ask one question, didn't reply to the 2 responses, then posted the photo URL. It's obviously someone who hasn't been through the whole, "Help! I'm having trouble posting pictures!" bit, nor thoroughly perused the READ ME. Nothing was said, not even the briefest introduction.

To me, this seems more like someone who isn't very good with the computer, who's trying, but who probably got frustrated and hasn't been back. I understand the OP's frustration, also, but if it were really about ego the poster would be back to swan around, wouldn't she?

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Thanks so much plllog. :) The last thing I want to do is spend my time making posts that are annoying rather than helpful. Good to know most are not critical of posters who may not have not done the big unveiling with all the details yet.

As for the "mystery" poster, I'm not sure what her intent is, but I'm cracking up at your "swan around" comment. :)

I'm glad marthavila finally clued us in though, it sure is a pretty kitchen.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

"Personally, it doesn't matter to me if a poster does or doesn't list details. I enjoy looking at photos of all different types of remodels - low-end, high-end, DIY, complete "gut" jobs, cosmetic changes only, etc. If I have a question, sometimes I send a direct e-mail, sometimes I ask right on the forum. If I don't get a response, no problem, it's not something that bothers me. "

Yeah, me too. I actually worried about posting all my details, to tell the truth. Didn't want it to be construed as ego. Little did I know....

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I did know immediately which kitchen michellemarie was referring to. It felt like a hit and run when so many people were asking for follow up with no response. But I did notice that she was not receiving e-mails, so perhaps we can give her a break on that. If someone wants particular details, why not page her in a post with her name in the subject? Maybe she's still not familiar enough with the way things typically work around here.

And just wanted to reassure all that no one who is wondering is being pegged as being egotistical.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

This is a sad post becuase whether or not OP wanted to, or should I say the person that posted the link, now with a little bit of effort, I was able to find her exactly via goggle. I would not want the attention on me and have the web know exactly where they could find me/or where I live.

Gorgeous home btw, I don't need details but that master bedrom chandy kicks butt!

• ciana
    14 years ago

Sorry for the long post, but this thread struck a chord.

Please give the OP the benefit of the doubt. We cannot tell what is going on in the lives of others - how computer savvy they are, whether they are able to respond, etc.
    I don't often post. In fact, I've posted more in the past week than I've ever posted in the 2-3 years I've been lurking. There are several reasons why:
    1) Initially, I felt I had little to contribute and much to learn -- and from diligent searching, could find much of what I was seeking. I didn't want to keep re-asking questions that had been answered many times.
    2) Due to personal circumstances, I can only read/reply to postings sporadically. (I won't go into details but I have a medically fragile child and much as I love this site it's the last thing on my mind when we have another bout in the hospital.) With this thread, I am even less likely to post for fear of accidentally offending someone because I didn't see their replies/questions in time.
    3) Even now, I find I'm frequently "late to the party" when reading threads and feel my post would be redundant. (Ahem, I'm possibly late here as well!)
    4) And this is just my insecurity here -There are so many TKO regulars here with such wonderful insight and suggestions that I will refrain from replying because I don't think my opinion would be as helpful. On the other hand, when I do post and only get one or two replies, I wonder if that's because folks don't know me and therefore don't respond. (I'm working on getting over this! ;-))

So please, please give folks the benefit of the doubt and don't get offended if they don't reply! I am sure there are many like me out there who have been here often enough to recognize various regulars and feel a camaraderie with these familiar posters, yet at the same time would not be remembered ourselves.

• la_koala
    14 years ago

Maybe she was so tired from all of the work in transforming the kitchen that she took a long vacation to Europe, and got stuck when the volcano blew and hasn't been back home to check her email yet?

:-)

Or she's stuck somewhere on a boat in the Gulf Coast and not able to sail in due to the oil slick...

• plllog
    14 years ago

Ciana,

You don't post often, but I, for one, recognize your handle. Often when you only get a couple of replies there are good reasons. If the responses already posted contain a good reply people sometimes will, and sometimes won't, add to it depending on how much time they have and whether they feel like they're adding anything. Also, if you're "late to the party" your thread may slide down to page three before many people see it. It's okay to bump your own thread, so long as you're not obnoxious about it.

It is true, however, that if you're "known" people will open your threads because you're you so you don't have to have as interesting a title.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

This is a sad post becuase whether or not OP wanted to, or should I say the person that posted the link, now with a little bit of effort, I was able to find her exactly via goggle. I would not want the attention on me and have the web know exactly where they could find me/or where I live.

My exact thoughts, peytonroad.

It wasn't that long ago that I found out that my photo hosting site was actually public, and I had to click certain boxes to make it private. I had no clue.

I cannot help but wonder what this poster is thinking if she is reading this thread. After all, she did not post her photo account info and say, "hey everyone, look at all my photos!"; she posted a link--to one single photo. And, yes, it was a major teaser, and I would love to get all the details.

If she is offended by the insinuation that she was being boastful instead of simply feeling giddy and wanting to share a photo of her spectacular kitchen with kitchen-appreciating forum dwellers, she probably won't be back to participate in her original thread. And that really would be a shame.

I hope she comes back with more photos and more details!

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

What the heck does "swan around" mean? Is it something I should avoid, or aspire to???

:-)

• starpooh
    14 years ago

I don't know why the OP hasn't responded to the post but she did submit her kitchen to the FKB. It's not in the "Coming Soon" list because she submitted on April 3rd and I could not find her kitchen post. I emailed her on April 17th requesting that she post the kitchen. I did not get a response back so I didn't follow-up. But luckily you have found her kitchen for me!
    My guess is that she was in a hurry when posting the kitchen; she even left several important pieces of the FKB checklist blank.
    And I'll bet she's completely unaware that we are able to access her personal photos; not everyone is savvy enough to realize how easy it is to find a complete photo album from a single photo.

rococogurl - You are terrific with details! And thanks for the sink link; the only info I received in the FKB checklist was "copper sink". A few more from the checklist for those who want to know: alder cabinets, other appliances are GE, SubZero and Vent-A-Hood.

natenvalsmom - You're right! I modified the rules for adding kitchens to the FKB due to comments in my Why Are Kitchens Not in the FKB posting. I realized I was being selfish by asking members to post in the Gallery since many either double-posted or didn't get much exposure in the Gallery. I'm ok finding finished kitchens in the Discussion section as long as GW's Search function isn't broken.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Warmfridge, the "ought to's" are up to you. I had no idea this wasn't a known phrase! I tried to link to the page in usingenglish.com which had a good definition, but it wouldn't load as a link. To see it used in context, check The Daily Mail, though here, as is common in headlines, it is also a pun.

Here's the def.:

Phrasal Verb: Swan around

Meaning: Move in a dramatic or affected manner

Example: She SWANNED AROUND trying to impress people.

Notes:

- Intransitive

- International English

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Swanning around, where I come from, is basically used to mean that someone is making an appearance in a way everyone will notice.

Must confess I don't understand the upset here. Not everyone with a new kitchen is TKO. Some people just hire it out and get it done.

I'm with Starpooh on this one.

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

I'm a longtime lurker who is finally, hopefully starting a remodel this summer.

I am with the camp that thinks it is being a bit presumptuous to chastise someone who hasn't responded within *one week* to forum comments. For goodness' sake, people get consumed with that little detail called Real Life and just because s/he doesn't answer online questions should not be taken as an insult or attitude, IMO.

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

Starpooh -
    I don't think anyone would agree with you, that you were "being selfish!" You work tirelessly to provide a valuable resource for those of us who love to look at kitchens, and you had every right to request that we post kitchens in the Gallery, where it was easiest for you to find them. I am glad, though, that you can now find them easily enough on Discussions; the Gallery just does not get enough visitors. Thank you again for all that you do!

• morgne
    14 years ago

See, now I feel bad. I was the one who posted the link to the rest of the kitchen pictures from her album. :( I assumed that she only posted a link to a single picture as a mistake. A number of times people will try to post and not quite handle the linking process quite right so I thought I was helping out. Now I'm worried that I wasn't helping at all!

I also find it ironic that now we have another entire thread for a kitchen that may have been a hit and run.

• davidro1
    14 years ago

hi all

want to say that I managed to click and find all the other photos teresa put up on the web,
    without wasting much time clicking on unproductive spots.
    yes it was a bit frustrating
    but so what
    and i won't condemn the person who presented it
    since a million possible good reasons might have made it get displayed that way,
    most of them accidental not intentional.

and if someone disappears that is A-OK by me too.

even a real life person who is a known entity.

i wonder if this thread will get fewer and fewer new posts
    or a whole lot more new posts
    after my post here

--
    about this thread: just clicked on it now, and 2. don't have much willingness to read the posts above, thoroughly / slowly / paying attention to nuances
    And... I think it's because i like anyone have a threshold level... and the above are too many comments that all involve some form of interpretation and projection.

have a great day

• histokitch
    14 years ago

No one who posts anything on this site owes anyone anything. This is a free site with a lot of useful information, and an equal amount of opinion/useless/tangential information. The up-in-arms attitude is enormously presumptuous and ironic considering that the person in question is being called a snobby showoff. As a professional, I will post my own almost finished kitchen and be happy to share details, but I might not do it the very same day.

• ponderous1
    14 years ago

Keep in mind that the opinion I share here is mine...and I am doing a surface only frugal makeover to my kitchen because that is all I can afford and personally it is all I need or want in a kitchen.

I probably will not be too popular perhaps but at the end of the day anyone posting to this public voluntary message board does not owe anyone anything. What they choose to share or not share is their own business and their own right.

Just because someone thinks it us rude or that others should share....does not make it so. And if someone opts not to they certainly should not be brought to the front of the class and pointed out to everyone so that the person who has their feelings hurt or panties in a wad can feel better about getting others to jump on their bandwagon.

My opinions....my right to say....and fortunately I have the ability to be a grown up and know that we all are different and are entitled to our way of doing and sharing or not doing and sharing, whichever the case may be.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Ponderous, No one here gets extra points for spending more. Surface, frugal makeovers are just as valued, and in many ways harder to do nicely. You do get respect points for doing hard stuff. You're also welcome to your opinion and to an equal say. Please don't take what I'm saying below as anything personal against you or your opinion. I'm just continuing the discussion.

While what you all have said about public fora is true on a basic level, it's also true that these are actual communities with actual cultures. Yes, all speech within the community happens in public, available to the public, and is used by our landlord as a way to sell eyeballs to advertisers, but that doesn't mean that it is in any way less a community. We have ways of speaking (you can tell a newbie by the text message style speech instead of actual sentences), and ways of behaving (we don't allow flaming and are very sensitive even to grumpiness (I'm sometimes grumpy I fear, and try not to let it out, but it does escape)).

While I agree that there's nothing stopping the mystery poster from posting and running, that's not the way things are done here. And while I agree that we should be generous in our assessment of her motives, I think we owe equal consideration to the OP who raised the question. Essentially, the OP was asking about what constitutes good manners here. If people are free to post and run, then people are also free to question it.

• ponderous1
    14 years ago

I am perfectly willing to agree to disagree and for me all is well. I do not doubt my opinion on the matter or the truth of my words at all. Anyone giving their two cents in this thread or any other on heart motives, meanings or what info one shares or does not share and why, are simply opinions at the end of the day. Nothing more and nothing less, no matter who it is. It always seems in communities like this there are those that are more prolific posters that somehow get put into a position of "perceived leadership" roles which really does not mean squat. They are just another person on a public message board, no big deal really.

As far as the difference between post and run and questioning it, this is what bugs me. If someone chooses to post and run they have not shed a negative light on anyone and have not attempted to start a mob mentality on a subject. That is very different then someone posting a thread like this, that very much did put a specific person into the negative limelight, and lets see who all will choose sides and jump on board. The OP did not just post about what constitutes good manners....they made sure they put enough info in so that everyone would figure out who they were talking about. Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade and pointing that truth out.

As far as extra points or any points at all, I am lucky, I only care what I think of my projects. It is a nice place to be.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I've posted and not returned many times in the past. Not intentionally, but because we often disapear when DS is very ill or hospitalized...I've posted from hospital and then not been able to get back on to answer, though I had intended to (we stayed there a lot early on in my kitchen remodel). So to have someone presume that's done just to be rude, well frankly, that is not what GW is all about. You don't know where this poster went or why she didn't return. Maybe she read this before signing into her post after a trip and decided never to come back...I know I'd find it hurtful to have someone feel that my kitchen pic was a way to show off my "ego trip" vacation.

Back a few years ago when my kitchen was in progress we discussed money more than folks do now. There are arguments both ways, but the argument for was that given this is not just a forum to show finished kitchens, but to highlight cool gadgets, lighting, whatever goodies we've found and in doing so, sharing the costs when someone asks is a nice way to learn about something without having to research it for days. But if you do answer a question about cost or post something that is related, you can get blasted in the rudest way for being on an ego trip, wasting money, just in general being a bad person for spending more than someone else might want to spend on a similar item. Have a pot filler? You're a show off and a snob. Have a Peacock kitchen? You don't cook, you're just trying to out do your neighbors. These kinds of threads just bring back that ugly feeling. :( It's too bad that the person didn't know that having her vacation pictures on her pic site would make her an ego maniac.

On my picture threads (photobucket) I haven't made the effort to separate my vacation photo's or photo's of our home from the kitchen photo's. I don't post pics I don't mind having out there, but still, I suppose in someone's eyes I'm just showing off my ego trip :( What a sad way to view the world.

As to details. I posted my kitchen and didn't include many details. I figured I'd put them in the FKB (but didn't figure out how LOL). I suppose that makes me a putz too. Double putz because my photo's aren't separated so no one has to see my silk comforter or something equally silly (more likely a red head eating some sticky thing on my silk actually...which is why we don't have silk LOL0 Oh well, duble putz it is.

• morgne
    14 years ago

Plllog,
    I wanted to post support for your statement!While I don't particularly like this how the OP's post came across I can understand the frustration behind it. In fact, it says something for what a great culture we have here at GW that 95% of the responses have been supportive or inquiring rather than critical.

Politeness...ishness. (Is that a word?) is very rare on the internet. I think it's rare exactly because people feel they have no responsiblity towards the other people because of the anonymity of the net. What makes GW different is that a core group of users maintain a presence in the forum, effectively ceasing to be anonymous.

The prolific posters ARE the defacto leaders of a group. That has the same value as the defacto leaders in any group. I personally put great value on that leadership because of the environment GW Kitchen forum has.

Ponderous1,
    I did not know what post the OP was referring to and did not go looking for it. The OP was complaining about a lack of responses to the comments not a problem with the actual post so I don't believe it matters if the thread was singled out or not.

The only reason for you to post on this thread was for you to share your opinion which is exactly what you are putting down the other posters here for. Phrases such as "has their feelings hurt, panties in a wad, jump on their bandwagon, calling a spade a spade and mob mentality" have pretty negative connotations to them. Most of the posts here have been pretty civil about the subject even going so far as to admire the beautiful kitchen yet again and try to figure out when is a good time to post your pictures to get the best response.

You said "fortunately I have the ability to be a grown up and know that we all are different and are entitled to our way of doing and sharing or not doing and sharing, whichever the case may be." but failed to understand that this post was OUR way of sharing or not sharing whatever the case may be.

You then tried to belittle Plllog by acting as if she had declared herself defacto leader and had attempted to control you in some way, calling her "just another person on a public message board, no big deal really". Well, you may be "just another person on a public message board, no big deal really". That could be true. But Plllog isn't just anything and she is certainly a big deal here. In all the ways that GW measures value Plllog has it and gives it.

PS Plllog, still waiting on the FKB with that beautiful tile.

• jcoxmd
    14 years ago

Does
    anyone else
    wonder
    if Davidrrol

might be

William Carlos Williams
    reincarnated?

• steff_1
    14 years ago

jcoxmd

that is
    seriously
    funny

but of course
    the answer
    depends

on the
    color of

his wheelbarrow

• ponderous1
    14 years ago

I will not post to this thread again after I state for the record:

Morgne....you assumed that I was referring specifically to plllog when I was talking about "percevied leadership" along with some other things I responded to in my last post. I was not...it was a general statement about these types of message boards in general. I just want that cleared up because that was an assumption made on your part and I want it known that it was incorrect. Thank you.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

steff_1 for the win.

(but it's a kitchen forum, plums and iceboxes were too obvious?)

• morgne
    14 years ago

Segbrown, I think the plums motif was actually mentioned on another thread though I can't remember exactly which one. I bet if you do a search it will pop up though.

M.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Oh, the plums!

We are on Gardenweb so the wheelbarrow kinda works.

Well, maybe next time...

• melinrk
    14 years ago

I am extremely intriguied by this post as I am one of those that posted every single details of my kitchen - down to the prices of everything. I also posted phone numbers for my contractors because I had such an awesome experience I want any and all of you to have the same.

I second guessed myself many times as I felt that I might come of as having an ego or bragging.

Even after I decided to post it, I thought maybe people felt that way as I did not receive very many follow-up posts - as opposed to the 50-100 often associated with finished kitchen posts.

Whether people like my kitchen or not - I LOVE it.

Whether people thought I was bragging - oh well.

I learned so many valuable things from this site - both by lurking and posting - that I almost felt it was a disservice to all of you to NOT post the details. SO many of us have no clue starting out what things are going to cost. Instead of bragging, I truly felt that it would be valuable info for others. That's why I posted the details.

I wish more people would post them also - both specifics of their choices and costs. We don't really know each other - we only FEEL like we do. It's a safe environment...no one is going to question why you spent a certain amount of money on a faucet! Of course, many people feel funny discussing money, but for those who are comfortable with it - I think it can be valuable info to others.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Morgne, thanks for the kind words. It's the Finished Kitchens Blog. My kitchen isn't finished!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Melinrk, there is a real difference between stating what you spent on your reno -- either from the whole thing or to each minute part of it -- and literally bragging about how much money you have to burn. Hardly anyone here engages in the latter but it has been known to happen every now and then. When it does, I find that kind of show of tell to be rather obnoxious. OTOH, unpretentious sharing of what you paid for your faucet, countertops, cabs, a GC, ID, etc. is very much part of the GW experience! Heck, that's totally valuable information which helps other members to figure out what they should be paying for the same or similar products and services. And, in fact, this is information that members consistently ask for. That is why I was disturbed when rmkitchen first posted to this thread with an unnecessary apology for having shared the cost of her reno. As I said earlier, I found her finished kitchen thread to be one of the best "give back" submissions on GW. FWIW I would put your thread into that same category. Thank you!

BTW, I confess to being one of the guilty parties who failed to acknowledge your totally gorgeous kitchen when you posted and I now apologize for the public withhold of my admiration! You see, the longer I stay here (and it's been several years at this point), I find I no longer comment on every kitchen I see -- including many I consider to be fabulous! Sometimes it's just a matter of my schedule. I may have the time to look and appreciate the member's work but not enough to draft a meaningful statement of praise. (Often, I'll promise to come back and do so at a later point and somehow forget to do so. Or, when I finally get around to it, I've also arrived at the party so late that there really is nothing especially meaningful for me to to say -- no matter how hard I try.) Bottom line, if I don't comment on a particular kitchen it just shouldn't be assumed that the reason why is because I don't like the kitchen! Having seen this same subject discussed here many times, I know that goes not only for me, but also for many others of us. That said, let me be clear: I LOVE your kitchen AND your presentation of it, including your sharing of its associated costs. I'm sure that took a lot of your time as well as a desire to give back/pay forward to your fellow GW members. IMO, that was hardly bragging! :-)

HTH

• doraville
    14 years ago

I think it is time that this post died. Some of us care about details; some of us don't. There are too many feelings being hurt over something absolutely trivial.

DIE post DIE!!!!!!!!!

• lattegirl1
    14 years ago

Why would anyone post a picture of their kitchen with a link to their vacation? I have not seen the kitchen photo, but that is odd!
    jcoxmd: Who is William Carlos Williams? I agree your comment was funny although I have no idea who you are talking about!

• melinrk
    14 years ago

Well...I certainly didn't post a comment to force anyone to look at my kitchen...:)

I guess I was feeling insecure about the amount of posts (everyone has an ego and wants their stuff to be loved) and thinking it might have been due to the fact that I posted so many "details". Thus, this post really hit home for me.

With that said, I am still glad that I posted all the details even if that means I got less comments - if it helps someone, that was the point.

• jcoxmd
    14 years ago

Lattegirl1: from wikipedia:"William Carlos Williams (September 17, 1883 Â March 4, 1963) was an American poet closely associated with modernism and Imagism. He was also a pediatrician and general practitioner of medicine. Williams "worked harder at being a writer than he did at being a physician"; but during his long lifetime, Williams excelled at both"
    He used simple vocabulary and unusual line breaks, which is why that post made me think of him. I bet his best known poem is Red Wheelbarrow, but I like this one:

This Is Just To Say
    by William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
    the plums
    that were in
    the icebox

and which
    you were probably
    saving
    for breakfast

Forgive me
    they were delicious
    so sweet
    and so cold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Carlos_Williams

• shelayne
    14 years ago

lattegirl, the poster did not post links to vacation photos, she posted a link to one small photo of her kitchen. Another poster then found the link to her photo sharing account, which allowed us see her amazing kitchen and the rest of her beautiful home. I guess some found vacation photos. I never saw the vacation photos, as I just looked at the kitchen and saw some home renovation photos. I don't know where the vacation photos were located because I never saw them.

There is a link above to her kitchen. It really is spectacular, but she never came back to answer questions about it.