SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pmeverett

Considering Ductless Mini Split - Option of third unit

3 years ago

I am considering a ductless mini split system in my home, 1014 sq ft. I remodeled the home in 2018, when I purchased it. Removed three walls to open up the living, kitchen and removed a bedroom. It's a small house with two remaining bedrooms and two baths. The second bedroom isn't used except a few times a year. I don't have AC as I do live in the PNW and most people would say it's not needed. I will say in the almost 5 years i have been here, I think it is needed in July and August. I do have central heat, but would love to remove the system from my garage.

At some point I am thinking of an addition to the house as the second bedroom is really small, not even 10x10. When I got the quotes, I had asked about possibly making the ductless system "expandable" so to speak. Buy a bigger outside unit, to enable it to have three indoor units, and at a later time add the third indoor unit. Only one of the HVAC companies gave me that option.

The plan is to put one unit in the living space, all one big open space now, one in my current master and then later to add a third one in the new addition (which would become the new master bedroom).

My question is, am I wasting energy by having a bigger outdoor unit and only using two of the three zones available? I have been warned by a couple of the HVAC companies that came out to not remove the central heat. But why keep it if the system can heat the house?

Thanks for any good help offered!

Comments (3)