SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarandipity85

Ductless mini-split for high-rise condo

sarandipity85
3 years ago

I live in a southern exposure condo unit on the 19th floor in DC. This is an old building, with convector heating and cooling. The building cannot offer heat and AC at the same time, and must offer heat Oct-May each year. With my southern exposure and the heat being on in the fall/winter, it gets VERY hot inside. It's regularly in the 80s in my unit on sunny days all winter long, even with the blinds closed. I've tried fans, but they just push around warm air. There's no ability to put in central HVAC or a window AC unit, no ability to do any shading on exterior of buidling. And full blinds aren't cutting it.

So I've been considering a ductless mini-split. My condo is 1200 sq. ft--a big open living room/dining room/kitchen, a big master bedroom, and a small guest bed/office. I have a nice sized balcony, cement floor and ceiling, that I could have the exterior unit on, and then hopefully run to interior units in each of the three spaces.

My concerns are:

1. How noisy is the exterior unit? I can't have a noisy AC unit running or my neighbors will complain and I'll have spent all this money for something I can't use. I keep hearing they're quiet, but are they really that quiet outside too? Enough that you wouldn't consider it intrusive if you're standing 20-30 ft away in a busier part of DC?

2. Do they need any special sort of electrical work done? Or are these things that you can largely plug into your typical condo wall outlets?

3. Anyone have any ideas of price ranges for this in the DC area? For a three-interior-unit option, or just for a single or dual interior unit? I'm seeing ranges allll over the place, and the difference between a $3500 project and a $15000 project is make or break.

4. Anyone have any recommendations of service professionals for this in the DC area?

5. For those who have ductless mini splits, is there anything you wish someone had told you about them before you installed? Any unexpected benefits, or downsides?

Appreciate any help you can give. I've reached out to condo board to see if we're even allowed to do ductless mini-splits here, but proceeding on the assumption that it would be allowed until I hear otherwise.

Comments (9)