SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xand83

Mini-Split Heat Pump for Basement Condo?

xand83
13 years ago

Hello! So, we bought a 2br 1,000 sq ft basement condo about a year ago in DC. Our home inspector noted that the all-electric Bryant heat pump was 15 years old (now 16) at the time and it looked to be at the end of its useful life. It didn't help that the previous owners never used any filters (none!) and they generally neglected the system by not keeping it cleaned & maintained. The air handler was even installed in a closet behind non-louvered doors, so it wasn't easily getting any air, either. That is now remedied.

We hired a company (last May) to clean out the ducts and take apart the air handler to perform a thorough cleaning. They found mold in the system, and cleaned it out & sanitized it well. However, they noted it was strange that all of our ducts were the flexible variety, appearing to be the same thing connected to a dryer vent. But if it works, right?

So, we found out the heat pump doesn't really work. We have ridiculously hot/humid summers here and the winters can also get unbearably cold. We went from having $80 electric bills in the mild months to $300+ when things got cold (from 630kwh to 2,400kwh). A company came out to re-charge the unit as it was running constantly but blowing out very little heat, and it worked better at the end of February, but winter was also coming to a close at that point.

We know this sucker will likely have to be replaced soon. Being in an urban setting, our condenser units are on the roof (4 of them for 4 units), 4 stories above our unit. The old units can be removed via roof access, but evidently, as experienced by our upstairs neighbor 2 years ago, a crane is required to get the larger/newer units up to the roof.

I'm not sure if we should be looking at a full replacement, partial replacement, or a completely different set-up. I have been reading about multi-zone mini-split systems and the idea sounds alluring. Smaller condenser so no crane (cost, permits, etc.) would be needed, and the large air handler would get nixed (more closet space!!), and the suspect drier vent duct system could be removed. I lived with these units in Asia for a few years, and generally liked them. But I don't know if they are the best for our situation or location.

There are so many different variables involved, I'm not sure where to begin. Do I simply start calling HVAC companies and requesting quotes and pick their brain in the process?

Comments (7)