SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toadman77

Mini split or ducted heat pump

toadman77
9 years ago

I'm looking to invest in some new heat. I live in Pa so winters can get cold. I'm not as worried about ac as the heat,Right now I ceiling radiant heat. I set that down to 60 in the winter and use electric infarered heaters when I'm home to bump up the temps. Doing this has saved 25 to 40 percent on my bill though when it gets really cold the house is chilly. So I'm looking to either assisit or upgrade the heat in the ceiling The home is around a 1000 sq ft.. R60 in attics, around r19 in walls, mostly new windows( except kitchen and spare bedroom), unheated basement though raftesr are insulated, bow window in living room 35 sq ft, picture window in dining room 30sq ft.and I got two options.

I can get a ducted heat pump with electric back heat on it. I worried that it will be expensive in the winter because of the heating strips that use it to heat and the heat pump isn't that effective below freezing so the strips will be on heating. I'm not to worried installed and it heat my basement so thats the plus side. It would be a Payne or a gmc.

Other option is a ductless split (Mitsubishi MR SLIM 18,000 BTU hyper heat). It should heat better then a regular heat pump and works at lower temps and be cheaper then a whole house and radiant heat to operate. The thing I'm worried is how much of the house will it heat during the winter, I don't wanna invest and it heats only one room. My little heaters would warm most of house except when it got really cold.. Would the ductless be on par with them circlulating the heat through the house? I have read on forums where one would keep most of the rooms in the house near the same temperature as the main room its in.

Thanks for any info .

Comments (26)