SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_2693317

Help me Choose Accent Colors?

e b
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My dad is moving into our new-to-us house, and we are fixing up this currently very BLAH room for him after doing a fair bit of work in the rest of the house already. The room is 22' by 11'. We are replacing the carpet with Karndean LVT in Sycamore, which we've used elsewhere in the house. (See below for a sample from their website, but the color is actually paler than pictured.) We're planning that the long walls and the unpictured short wall will be a lime wash paint that is very close in color to BM Moroccan Spice, and the window/door trim and new 5-inch plain baseboards will be BM White Dove (Advance), which we've used through much of the house. The furthest-away door on the left of the picture goes into his bathroom, which is a dark forest green (his favorite color) (Behr Vine Leaf). Below is a picture of the room as it currently looks, and one with the long-wall and trim colors filled in (and the planned flooring).

My question is what to do with the colors for shelving, window seat, and the wall behind them. One thought I had was to paint all of the built-ins with BM White Dove Advance, which we used on our kitchen cabinets to good effect (The kitchen is through the near door on the left of the photo.) But my Dad just doesn't like big expanses of white, and moreover, he is afraid, understandably, of them getting scuffed up. The door on the right goes to the outside, and he will be using the shelves near that door for dog and garden paraphernalia, hats and gloves, etc. There will be a chair in front of the window seat where he takes off shoes, and the widow seat storage lid will see a lot of action too.

I really like the contrast-y look when people paint shelves one color and the wall behind them a different color. I've considered doing all the woodwork in a dark green to tie in with the bathroom, and then the back wall a light green or other light color, but every time I've seen the contrast-y shelves thing done well, the back wall is darker than the shelves rather than lighter. I'm stuck!

More context: The long walls will have lots of of framed photos and artwork on them, many incorporating dark greens and browns. This windows in the photo are likely to have blackout curtains drawn across them most of the time. There are also windows in the unpictured end of the room, and that is where his easy chair and view of the garden will be.

Obviously, we are not afraid of COLOR, so please suggest away!!!

Comments (2)