SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Help needed choosing an accent color for our kitchen

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

I haven't posted for a couple of weeks b/c I've been over in the Appliance Forum figuring THAT out : )

Anyway, for those of you that gave input on the classic vs. old world in our 1950 Cape, per most of the recommendations we decided to go with the inspiration pic but tone it down a whole lot. Much more simple cabinetry, classic details (less ornate molding, door panels, etc...) and yes- I think we'll do a very light glaze as we just love the look even though it's not the popular vote.

The below pics are NOT the door style we are choosing but the colors probably are... with Danby Marble perimeter and walnut island.

***I'm wondering what accent color would go well to add a bit of POP in the kitchen for accessories, pots, what have you... I LOVE yellow but don't' know if that works? The paint in the background is what we have in our living room now so isn't for the kitchen. Would it work though? Thanks!

In one area of the kitchen, I'm Not sure if we'll do the dark espresso brown or the smaller sample of dark wood which is a bit lighter.

Comments (64)

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Yeah, you need some stronger yellow, a yellow with muscle. Counteract all that gentle stuff. Go Mustard!

Choose what strength of mustard -- Dijon to hot dogs at the ballpark -- but get some power into the color.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi lavender- Looks like I'm confused again. When I meet with my decorator again we will work through it. I went from the black to the dark brown b/c I thought the brown would blend better with the woods I have instead of bringing in black.
    In the kitchen I planned on the white on the L perimeter AND island and 1/2 of the opposite wall (10'). Then on the remaining 7' stretch do a baking area with the dark color cabinets (top & bottom).

I really want more of a traditional look not old world. (I think) I mean the lights have an old world look and the glazing but everything else I thought was kind of traditional and would go with the french things I have.

I thought the brown in the glazing went well with the dark cabs and brown walnut counter as well as the gold in the marble.

I am also confused b/c I always thought black went with gray and brown went with the golds/warmer tones! I am NOT a gray person, but I don't' see how the dark brown wood brings me to gray?

You said "get away from such a dark wood with the cream" but wouldn't the black be worse?

Thanks so much and I look forward to your thoughts as always : )

• Related Discussions

Need help choosing a shingle color for our home.

Q

Comments (38)
    Bossy, I rent my house out. When tenants are here, my electrical bill absolutely skyrockets. It goes from @ $24 in, say, june, to $195 (and now more since I've installed central AC) in July and August, and it is mostly the dryer. I hang my laundry to dry in the summer and NEVER use the dryer, whereas I swear tenants start doing laundry the day they arrive and never stop. I've come to believe, in fact, that they dry one item at a time. It's a huge issue for we homeowners who rent our houses out, esp. since electricity is SO expensive on Cape Cod (second highest in the country, next to Hawaii). I can assure you, conservation is NOT on the minds of most, from my experience. And btw - sorry to stray a bit here - but why does every piece of electronics and appliances now have a light ON when the dang thing is OFF? Nice to have your electric bill churning when nothing is even ON. This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 11:35
    ...See More

Need help choosing color for our foyer entryway

Q

Comments (5)
    You have so much lovely green outside, and you’ve brought some of it inside, I’d give in the feeling of a garden room. I don’t know what green hues work with your existing trim and the other spaces people will be transiting into, but maybe going to the BM website will answer that. I also don’t know how distinctly green you’d want to go, and whether you would like to add another color (if you like a garden feel). For instance, pink/rose accents or yellow/golden ones or really cool blues. Lastly, I don’t know how you feel about wallpaper in your house, but you don’t appear to have a lot of wall space to cover, so maybe it would be a lovely touch. You’d want to pay a paper hanger to a pro job though
    ...See More

Help us choose a paint color for our remodeled kitchen

Q

Comments (3)
    match the sink shade of white..a nice clean white but not stark....just keep the walls fresh like that. enough other things going on and it all looks good..white or light walls will make that backsplash against the wood cabs pop. note below white w the teal/wood really amplifies the effect. If you want more color for the space look at 3rd pic and do it w window treatment/floor runner etc..
    ...See More

Need help choosing an accent wall and color!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Your choice of a color can successfully come from anywhere -- including your own imagination (not everyonés got one!). It can be a contrast or a compliment or a match or a shocking departure ..... But the real issue here is that you had the nerve to do something different, and now that the experiment is done you are being honest about the result --- big deal, it's paint -- but what's next? I think you need to go back to what gave you the impulse to color a wall, You say you wanted more life in the room. Why do you think the room lacks life? Can't answer for you but when I've felt a room looked dead it has been, at varying times: The seating wasn't arranged to invite relaxed conversaton. There were not enough delightful personal items in the room, things that I cared about. There were not enough interesting patterned things in the room to move the eye around to look at There were not enough lamps or they were too small to make an impression The wall colors were too shallow and flat. I think you are right that the green wall you now have blocks in the room rather than enlivens it and it doesn't flow. It emphasizes that the wall is short. I can't tell without being in the room if a different wall would carrry more drama or interest, or what kind of color would be a hit. If you re-analyze the room and continue to suspect your dissastifaction is being surrounded by all neutral mainly blank walls, try another experiment: Invest in some peel-and stick wallpaper, and try it out in different places. Another experiment is to bring different colored clothes into the room and toss them around like pillows and see if any jump out at you as a color to run with in the room, not necessarily with paint, but with decor -- pillows, curtains, artworks, tabletop ....
    ...See More
  • 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PS- on The wall opposite the L and island-- there would be 6' of white (not 10') and 7' dark.

Also, my aqua/brown things do go well with the samples I chose I believe...

• Bunny
    12 years ago

I always thought black went with gray and brown went with the golds/warmer tones!

I think they do, in that they're from the same color wheel neck of the woods. But I'm also learning that a mix of warm and cool keeps things interesting and not too heavily weighted to one side.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I think black goes with everything...at least I've read, a little black in every room is supposed to be a good thing. There are so many wood tones...and I'm certainly no expert...but I usually look at the undertones, in the wood. Some are almost yellow, some golden, some more orange, some reddish (think cherry/mahogany) and some are very dark...almost gray/black. I think when you get into the more espresso tones, the more 'muddy' colors (some say earth tones) work better. I think that's why you're seeing examples of gray/green, mustard yellow, burnt orange, even a gray/lavender.

When you have reddish tones, I've always liked softer greens, pinks, burgandies, golds, but not so much blue...unless it's dark blue. Orange tones look really good with blues, greens (opposite side of the color wheel) and lighter wood tones look nice with the pastels. Of course, you can mix things up, but the undertones of the wood, still need to work with the color you want to use.

That being said, my monitor might be making your samples look COMPLETELY different, than they do in real life. Since you have a decorator, ask them what they would recommend and if it will work with your favorite colors. There's nothing wrong with getting new things and trying new colors...just make sure they'll be colors you want to spend time with and look good, first thing in the morning! This is for the kitchen :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. I will plan the 2nd meeting with my decorator but here are some things I'm looking at!

For my own color education... What is it in the original cabinet pic that doesn't go with all the yellows I posted? We discussed the brown, but I don't think the off white cabinet itself seems to go. Is it the glazing? Even without the glazing it doesn't seem to go with the yellow. Maybe if it were more cream than white?

My 2nd dream kitchen is a very soft yellow (cream???). I have been revisiting that idea. Here's some photos I am enjoying!

Luckily we only just got our variance approval so any decisions I've made thus far are only in my own head... just in case I change it up. Or maybe I will just adjust my original vision slightly? lol

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are my faves:-- The big daisy in the middle...

Maybe I could add some black and still do the walnut island top?

LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS A BAD IDEA FOR WHATEVER REASON! LOL I'm really getting delirious.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I really like your yellow/cream colors! They're so pretty and remind me of spring...as I look out at all this snow :)

Well, the last picture shows how your yellow plate looks against the black...and I think it looks very nice.

As for the white/cream, I think you just need a lighter creamy white. In your inspiration photos...the first two, with the soft yellow cabinets are very pretty...but the third one really stand out, IMHO. The white sink, white island and white upper cabinet/open shelves, set off the yellow quite effectively. The first two pictures are all yellow and I miss that contrast.

For your wood island, the walnut should work. Stay with the same kind of wood tones that you have in your inspiration pictures. You know, THEY go with the soft yellows, you like.

One thing I love with this color combination...is that it looks so good with a little french blue and a few plants. A classic country french combination...just in case you decide to add some pattern/fabrics to the banquette, etc. Have fun! :) {{!gwi}}From French Country Kitchen
    {{!gwi}}From French Country Kitchen

And of course, there's always the possibility of blue cabinetry :) {{!gwi}}From French Country Kitchen

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Is your kitchen open to your LR? Yellow doesn't really go with the buff.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks lavender!

You mentioned using a "lighter creamy white"-- Do you mean lighter than my original inspiration photos at the way top of this topic or lighter than the 3 yellows kitchens?

I'm not sure if my DH will go for the yellow cabs although I'd have fun trying it out... However, if I wanted to use yellow sparingly on cabs (1 area or island) or maybe just for accents would I need to go with a cabinet that is more white than my original inspiration? Or more cream? The original doesn't seem to go with the yellows.
    *To make that question clear- if I chose 2 color cabinets and one was very pale yellow, I guess I'd have to go with a white cabinet with it... (like yellow kitchen #3)
    *Or, if I don't do any yellow cabs but use pale yellow as an accent what color cabs should I go for?

Sorry- that sounded confusing. I'll think about this some more (of course I will!) but any comments are appreciated.
    Maybe I could even do black island again...

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo- I was thinking the same thing. It's somewhat open but not 100%... However, I WOULD have to follow similar color scheme into LR and DR though. Wouldn't have to have yellow , but yes- a paint that would work throughout or (2 shades that go together) would be needed.

I wonder if I could work that out and still use these pieces of furniture? Wall Color/accents I could change more easily and the sofa and loveseat are getting moved to the basement...

THIS IS NOT THE EXACT CONFIGURATION AS I HAVE TO SCAN IN THE NEW ONE BUT AT LEAST YOU CAN GET ROOM LAYOUT IDEA FOR FLOW. (e.g. no hutches around window seat and a few other changes...)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo- Also are you able to explain to me why yellow doesn't go with my pictures in the original post? Although florantha said dijon and gave some nice yellow samples- but the yellows I posted next to that light cabinet seem off to me- like I want the light cab to be more creamy... Or am I wrong?

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Creamy white...to me, would be like the cabinets Marcolo posted on your other thread. Warm white (rather than cold) usually means a little yellow undertone, rather than blue or pink. It's subtle, but look through the different 'whites' at the paint store and I think you'll see what I mean.

As for the walls, I'd want to repaint anyway and go with something a little different. The buff is nice, but I'd rather use the yellows. Your second picture (of your living room) almost looks like a golder tone on the wall, probably the warm light from the lamp and blue picture. Maybe find something with just a little more gold to it, than the buff...and make sure it still works with your 'daisy' colors :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Funny I thought the cabinet color in the OP WAS a warm white/ivory. But, maybe I assumed that because it wasn't a white white.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Whites can be tricky! Look at the way the ivory cabinet looks, with the marble sample. Notice how the marble looks better, with the darker wood samples? Off whites can be just slightly different and one will almost always look 'dirty' compared to the other.

Here are some pictures, your inspiration kitchen (still beautiful) Marcolo's suggestion and one of Cawaps' photos. Do you think any of them would look good with your soft yellows? {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW! That seems obvious! How did I miss it? lol
    So, is it the glazing doing that? I think not- probably just the shade of white, right?

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

The right shade of white is definitely the answer! But, glazing (which looks to be a light brown stain) isn't helping, either.

Now, go have some fun and find your dream kitchen! As pretty as your original inspiration kitchen is...I think the daisies will be very cheerful, every morning...rain, snow or sunshine!

And, do me a favor? Take a quick look at my thread on mixing countertops and see what you think I should do, with my 'butler's pantry' area of the kitchen. I need a fresh set of eyes and I know you have good taste :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now, my challenge will be seeing if I can get the LIGHTS i bought to go with whatever I choose! ($$$$)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

You mean the pendants, in your inspiration picture? I think those are so pretty! They should look wonderful, in your kitchen. You can keep the same marble countertops, wrought iron hardware, stainless steel range and great pendants...just change the color of the cabinetry to a little whiter. The style doesn't have to change. Just think old world, a little rustic and not too fancy...but still have some pretty accents. It will be beautiful! :)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Fishies, on my monitor your white cabs look like they have pink undertones to me rather than yellow. That's the problem.

Don't forget--if your kitchen is open to your LR the yellow won't look good with the buff.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi All- The LR/DR will have to be repainted anyway b/c we are removing walls, etc... so I can be flexible on that as long as it still "goes" with my aqua/gold furniture.

I'm wondering what some good whites have more of yellow undertone? I have a bunch in front of me so I can check them.

I really didn't want my cabs to read "white". I wonder if I should do a cream or pale yellow cab? Or, a white with pale yellow in it like BM Mayonnaise or some others I like are BM Goldtone, Morning Light, Pearly Gates... I know yellows are tricky

Also, am I looking at Cool or Warm? Mayo says Cool.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I'm a little confused. Are you now considering changing your cabinet colour? You have the most interesting furniture in your home and it really seems to tell a story of style and colour. If the kitchen is going to be somewhat open to the rest of the home I don't think that the white w/ glazing cabinets is doing the rest of your house justice. It seems to be quite harsh and a little over the top.

I like the idea of a cream with a dark island to support the rest of the colours. The secretary and the buffet that you have shown - is there a cream colour that is common to the two of them or that could tie them together that would work as a colour for your cabinets and then a dark island?

This is assuming that you are keeping that furniture and that it is to be included in the colour and style flow that you are trying to develop.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

blfenton- Welcome to the Club as I am confused as well. ; )

Yes, I am thinking that the glazed cabinet in my original post (which was always my inspiration) may not work the way I thought It would. I realized that when trying to put other colors with them. I believe you agree with that from your post.

So, perhaps I will change the cabinet to cream (very pale yellow- or is that too much?) with the dark island or baking area. I'll have to keep looking at some cream colors but am not sure how cream they should be. Is it a white with a yellow undertone or a true cream that would never be mistaken for white?

Yes, I will be keeping some of the furniture like the buffet and hopefully the secretary if I find a spot for it.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, just to make sure we all agree I took pics of the cabinet with my existing furniture. We KNOW that the cabinets will not be on top of these pieces but as mentioned above the rooms will all flow into each other and the idea is that this cabinet color may not work well and that a creamier cabinet may be better. I have some gold in the furniture and also like pale yellow like some of the pics posted above.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

The orangey tone chocolate brown I meant was like your pillow on your chair or the picture's mat (very orange). It would liven up the tones of your choices.

As much as I like yellow usually, I don't see it with your original cab choices unless you use a dull gold. The gold color has been done to death in kitchens in our area (and other living spaces), so I'd try for another color....

If you skip the glazing, you will have more options open to you....

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- Here's a kitchen that GreenDesigns posted on another thread. I like this white :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lavender- I think it's a beautiful kitchen but too white for me. I really did not want a white kitchen. I think that's why I thought my original cab was a little different plus with the glazing. The last 5 kitchens I've been in in my town are white (or read white) with combinations of marble, soapstone, black granite and walnut. (OTK) I already know I love the marble and walnut but wanted the cabs a bit different. Maybe I need to go in the cream direction or an off white that's not dirty looking.

It's been 6 months of planning already and although I complain to DH I am thankful I have this time to make these decisions/change my mind! : ) Construction is supposed to start in March so luckily nothing is ordered yet (except for the 2 pendants I purchased!)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- I can understand you not wanting to go 'white' but I think these colors are back to looking a little too beige (but again, disclaimer on my monitor).

If it were me, I'd go find some samples of the colors you really love...maybe buy some daisies, the yellow plate (or something similar) and your cream colored roses. That would be a good match, for your cabinets. So would the daisy in the middle (very similar color).

So, print off and put together your sample colors...and show your designer. Or, take them to the paint store and go look at samples. Once you find some you like...take the samples outside and see how they look, in daylight. That's always different than lights at the store.

Then, take your favorite samples home...and see what they look like with the furniture you want to use, after the remodel. See what works and what doesn't...and you should have a much better idea of what you want to use for the cabinets...then use the same samples to choose your wood tone. Hope that helps :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

In this picture, Bee's backsplash looks great with the rose...which seems very similar to yours. Would something like this work or do you want to go with more yellow?

• blfenton
    12 years ago

The cabinets against your furniture are reading (to me) cool grey and is just a tich too stark. I think you do want a contrast between cabinets and furniture but not that much. The cream of the bridal roses is very nice and I was going to echo what Lavender lass suggested and that is print off some pics of that, and get a colour match and and also a sampler of the BM mayonnaise and paint up some boards and see what they look like against your furniture. I'm not a fan of glazing, I find it a little too fussy for my tastes, but it MIGHT work with your things but you will have to be very careful with the base colour and that the glaze doesn't become over-powering.

You already have quite a bit going on with your furniture (very nicely, I think) and although we all like our kitchens to make a statement I would like to see your whole living space, including the kitchen, to make a cohesive statement. If you can do that (I know, I know, confusion, angst, ahhhh...) you will have a gorgeous statement. I do tend to go on when I see really neat furniture, Sorry.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lavender- in Beekeepers photo are you referring to using the backsplash color for the cabs or about the color of the rose?l lol The rose and backsplash are nice! I think a bit more yellow though : )

blfenton- Thanks for your post : ) All great suggestions. So you think if I match the cream of the bridal roses and then see how it works with my furniture that would be good? Do you think cabs that color would be too much? I'd really like to be able to use various yellows and as lavender mentioned way above- of all my "yellow" kitchen photos I really like this one the way it works with the white. Also the way the brighter yellows (flowers, wallpaper) work so well with it all : ) I'd be tempted to try this (yellow bottom with white uppers, white island... Before I even start to explore that do you think it's the wrong direction with my "stuff"? I certainly think the style of it might go better with my little Cape? Thoughts?

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Ohhh- I like that kitchen. But now, how far off of that picture would you deviate by your own choices. There was a thread not too long ago about "how did I get here from there", I don't think it was lavender who posted it (I think it was oakley) but if you can find it and haven't yet read it - do so.

I like that the island has the wooden top and was going to suggest that you do something similar to coordinate with the wood you already have. Now if in your first pics that big piece of wood is the floor you have already deviated from the above inspiration pic - do you see what I mean. Although, that floor would look great as a counter top for the island, and/or on the hutches. Are you going to do the farmhouse sink, are you going to do open shelving maybe as part of the hutch and put beadboard behind the hutches, what type of cabinets will you use?. Do you see what I mean - the colours work because of the whole style that they chose. But if you change one element, for example putting in a dark floor, you change the entire look.

Do I think that look would work for your cape cod and your furniture - yes. I think so. But you will need to do a little colour checking to make sure. (and lavender lass may disagree with me).

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

blfenton- That all makes total sense. I do remember reading the thread you mentioned. In my first pic the big piece of wood is a walnut countertop I wanted to use. Our floor is a little lighter than that. Yes, we planned a white farmhouse sink. I didn't plan on open shelving but would be open to a bit of it? I do like to conceal a lot but some glass for display is great to have too.

The floor is a good point. That does give a different look Here is ours now and we planned to keep it the same. (although it has to get redone b/c we are adding onto the house). I don't know. Maybe the above kitchen is too far off from the original plan. AHHHHH!

Our floor:

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Blfenton- I completely agree with you...I love that kitchen! It's so pretty and cheerful, but with a few small changes, could be just a little fancier, to go with your lights. Maybe glass doors on those upper cabinets and I think it has your marble countertops.

This kitchen would still be something you love, but so much easier to bring in your everyday items and your beautiful dining set. Fishies- if you ever decide NOT to keep that dining table and chairs, you have to tell me, first! LOL

Seriously, if you did this type of yellow and white kitchen with the island countertop in the picture, it should match your existing furniture so much better. The wood tones would work a lot better :)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

The bridal roses don't look so hot against the Buff. My woodwork is a mix of China White and Linen White--I think Linen White alone would be creamier and still work. Vanilla Ice Cream also seems to work but may be too yellow for a white.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo- (The buff is all getting repainted so I'd change the color.)

WELL, who got any sleep last night? Not me! lol and when I did I was dreaming of kitchens. : )

So it seems I have a few choices.

1) keep the original plan possibly just lightening up the white cabinet and/or ditching the glaze.

2) original plan but make the light cabinetry a creamy color like Mayo or Vanilla Ice Cream, Mannequin Cream (instead of white) no glaze.

3) Go for actual pale yellow cabinetry like my newest inspiration pic but dress it up a bit more- possibly for lowers only and mix with white cabinetry. Marble & Walnut CT. I wonder if I could still do a dark brown cabinetry for my baking area or something? Well, we can explore that later.

I had some paint swatches so I took some pics. Don't know how much good they do us. I was actually surprised that BM Mayonnaise used in the kitchen 10 posts up (Ben Herzog townhouse) wasn't that much different than my sample cabinet. I think it's the glazing that is throwing it off. What do you think?

Here are some photos...

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

The fifth picture (two yellow paint samples on the left) the lightest shades of both look good to me. The mayonnaise is too beige, IMHO.

I would definitely be looking at yellow (not beige/brown) paint samples and comparing the lightest colors. The middle colors will give you an idea what undertone is in your off white. Some are very brown/beige, others can be almost pinky/beige, while some are obviously yellows and golds. Stick with the last group, if you want the color to work with your yellow inspiration pictures.

Remember, if you choose beige/brown or beige/gray undertones, it will look better to stick with the earth tones. Browns, rusts, mustard, gray/green, gray lavender, etc. Soft yellows, creams, leaf/apple green, light blue...they'll all look better with the yellow/golden off whites.

Also, if you're repainting the living room, you can take a different color on your paint sample and it should work with the lighter shade. Just remember, colors usually look much brighter on the walls (light reflected back on the color from four directions) so you may want to try a sample that's one shade lighter than your favorite. I'd get a few small paint samples and try painting them on the wall, to see them under artificial and sun light.

Don't forget...designers are there to help you make decisions, but most people aren't sure what they want. If you want to use your yellows, you have to be assertive and say something like, "No matter what, I want these yellows to work in the space. That's more important than the other pictures I'm bringing you, to show you what I want. If I can't put these yellow plates into the kitchen, with these flowers and pick the same color in my fabrics...I will NOT be happy!" Trust me, that will be the one thing that designer will remember, while helping you pull together your space. Hope that helps :)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Mayonnaise is yellower than what you have but will tend towards browner than what you might want and the same with the strip headed by ivory tusk. I kind of like the strip headed by pearly gates - but who knows what it looks like IRL and on a wall.

I was thinking about the open-shelving in your latest inspiration pic and you could easily do glass cupboards in your proposed hutch instead.

What does DH think of your idea to go a little yellower than you had originally thought.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Sorry - posted too quick. There was a post not too long ago and someone posted their yellow kitchen. She was concerned that it was too yellow (it was very yellow but very pretty) and the doors weren't on yet and so it was about to become yellower. Like any colour, the more there is the stronger and more of a statement it will make. Right now you are looking at little swatches of yellow so maybe look at creams that have a yellow cast to them. Just a cautionary reminder.

I had wanted a white kitchen - like hospital white but when it was installed the cabinets tended more towards cream and I was so upset. But

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I only have a second. In my post this morning which option are we going for? 2 or 3? Once I decide that it will make a difference on if I choose a cream or a real yellow right.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- Your designer should be carrying around a huge collection of paint swatches. Have him/her help you go through them, to match your soft yellow. I don't think all of our monitors are 'accurate enough' to help you pick an exact color, over the Internet.

Now, once you have the wall painted with bigger samples, I'm happy to give it a shot...but it still isn't the same as being in the room, with you. Just stick with soft yellows and yellow based cream/off white colors.

Instead of concentrating too much on paint samples, go look at some fabrics! You need (I'm guessing) valances, window seat, banquette, cushions...maybe some new valances/drapes in the living room? Find some fabrics that you really like. It will help you find a paint color (probably out of the fabric or a lighter version) and help you decide on a style.

I LOVE looking at fabrics...so go have some fun and show us what you find. You should be able to either get free samples or just purchase an 1/8 or 1/4 of a yard. Enjoy! :)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I like either one and I think what it will come down to is how much yellow do you and your DH want. I think once you choose the colour the rest will follow. You may decide that you want the cabinets to be all one colour, rather than two different colours, and that may dictate your colour choice. With the cabinets all one colour you may opt for a cream with a hint of yellow bordering on cream as in option 2.

Following that decision then you may decide to do the island in the same colour with a wood top and perhaps that same wood stain as part of your baking station. You do have a variety of combinations that you can easily work with and your designer can guide you on that. You and she do have a better idea of spatial relationships in your space and will be better able to balance the combinations. I do like the direction you are going.

Now don't let LL and me make your decision for you. Remember it is your kitchen and your space. I do think that your original cabinets would not have done your house and furniture (gushing again over your furniture) justice.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK- I will work on all of this. Honestly I had my mom (who has a good eye) over today and we went through some options and I got more paint swatches.

First of all now that I looked at more real yellows I can see where you are getting beige from the swatches I posted earlier today. At first I was thinking- beige? They seem clearly yellow to me. BUT now that I have 7-8 strips of yellow the others DO look beige. And it's interesting how you pick a color you think is good but then when you put another next to it it TOTALLY changes it to a different color!

Talking through it with Mom, I think it will be a good idea to go in one direction or another. I was trying to kind of have a little of everything and realized it will all be muddled if I don't have a clear direction going here! In my very first post I love the dark brown cab with the original glazed cab. But, looking at the yellows, the brown wasn't working as well. Not horrible but not ideal.

I think I'm going to go for it and do the yellow (like the new inspiration pic) and put a lot of white with it - still with walnut island maybe- and some black accents. I have a black cabinet sample that actually was much more exciting than the espresso with the yellows. : ) I'm so excited. I really love this and think it may work out! Wait til I show the decorator. It's quite different from my original plan. I think she'll like it too. My mom said she was surprised it was less formal than I usually like but I love it and think it will serve my house well.

I think still keeping the arch window from my original inspiration picture (not on this thread) and my lights we can work it out I must take one of the lights out of the boxes b/c I want to see what the real color is. Hopefully they are not totally out of place with this new idea. If so, tell me and I'll see if I can return them. I REALLY love them and they were pricey so I hope it can work. Don't want to force it though : ) OK, thanks so much for your help! I love when I get responses as I'm a bit OCD about all of this (as I think most of us here are!)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- I think the lights are beautiful and will look wonderful, with the yellow and white kitchen...especially if you use the black island. It will still be traditional, but not quite so formal, but still classic enough for those pendants :)

I can't find anything I like online today, but I've seen some beautiful fabrics at the stores, especially in a european classic/country style. So many choices, lots of yellows, blues, greens, creams, etc. If I find anything I like online, I'll post it!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- This may not be your style, but on my monitor...this is the color I was thinking of for a soft yellow. If you look closely, there's a white farm sink, I think marble countertop, and soft, creamy yellow cabinets. What do you think?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love it : ) I'm going to look at some fabrics tomorrow. I think that may help!

I had planned on imperial danby marble which has soft gold and gray in it and am wondering with the yellow if I should do one with just gray? I'll have to think about that. Still too early maybe. Although maybe with the walnut some gold would go well.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- I think keeping your options open is a great idea. Although I really like your lights, it's good to know you can return them (just in case)...because I think you will have a much better idea where you want to go, style wise, when you look at fabrics. Same thing with the marble. Your choices will definitely work, but as you find fabrics and colors (and maybe some more inspiration pictures) you may make some changes. I think you'll end up with a beautiful kitchen that you love walking into, every morning :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I highly doubt I CAN return them but I'd try if necessary. They were being discontinued so I bought them in October- petrified I'd miss out on them. : )
    Hopefully I can get them to work!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Oh, they'll definitely work...it just means you'll want to retain a little 'old world' style in your kitchen. They'll really go with the black island (like in the inspiration picture) and most definitely with that arched window. I'd love to have something like that, in my kitchen!

Think how your inspiration picture would look, if you just changed the off white cabinets to the soft yellow. I'd also change the floor stain, to a warmer one, like the yellow kitchen picture I just posted.

See the fabric they used (in your inspiration picture) for the valance and the chair seats...and it looks like leather, on the stools. You could do similar fabrics and just change the colors or you could change the floral to more of an english rose floral or french toile, etc.

Lots of possibilites...just remember to look for 'sunnier' colors, with yellow in them. Like the leaf green plants, in the 'yellow kitchen' photo, compared to the greener/gray leaves of the lilies, in your inspiration photo. Same thing with the wood tones...warmer, rather than cooler. Hope that helps :)