SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trisha_le77

new home build – what to go standard and what to upgrade

Trisha Le
3 years ago

Hi guys,

I’m building my first house and I need advice on what to upgrade now vs later.

For example: my builder wants me to pay $5k on an ugly freestanding tub, but I could have the freestanding tub of my dreams installed by a local contractor after I close on the house (builder will not install the tub of my choice, which I completely understand as they have to profit somehow).

Also, I want to install a specific marble in my master bathroom, have an iron and glass front door, and have a certain workstation undermount sink that my builder doesn’t offer.

Should I just go standard on all items and get the built-in tub, normal sink, and standard tile flooring, and standard front door and change it all afterwards?

I am a part-time blogger and will be getting all of these items comped — but I’m curious to see if it’s pragmatic to go this route. I’ve never contracted work like this out before and curious as to what the costs are, or if it even makes sense to tackle it myself.

Which items would you go standard on now and change later? Which do you recommend I just use my builder for?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (30)