SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

What modern high-tech gizmos and doodads go into new houses?

Fori
10 years ago

I'm bringing my house into the 21st century and I'm not sure what's out there.

My house was built in the 1950s (and is the newest house I've ever owned). We will be adding on as well as reconfiguring (or, mostly, just restoring close to original) the main part of the house. The bedroom area won't be affected but the rest of the house will, including (if the architect can pull it off) the attached garage.

So, this gives us the opportunity to modernize some things. We already have ceiling light fixtures everywhere which I thought was a pretty nice improvement over previous homes I've had, but I'd like to go even further than that! :)

A few things we've come up with so far are

-Solar panels on new roof sections where facing correctly, possibly designing new roof areas to slope for a more favorable exposure

-plan for future HVAC upgrades (we don't have central AC but might want it eventually)

-outlets in the floor in larger areas (I dream big, huh? :P)

I'm out of ideas. I know new homes can have a lot more technology-friendly features than those!

What about electronics wiring? What does one do for that to anticipate future wiring? The guys who installed my driveway put some PVC pipes under it so I could add lighting or other wires in the future. Is there an interior equivalent?

What features go in modern garages and garage workshops?

Comments (21)