SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peppapoodle

Weird property & house situation .......

Peppapoodle
3 years ago

The 150ish acre farm next door to us has been foreclosed. This is in a popular area: outskirts of town. We have had to fight off developers that want to subdivide into estate lots.

The property was divided into 3 sections (different banks owning). The back has the lake w fishing pier & 95 acres- it also has huge party barn, nice sized shop, and covered storage. Plenty of room for us to build a house. The front is on major highway- zoned commercial ( 35 acres w a smaller pond & cedar covered bridge.). Now, here’s where it gets interesting & my dilemma........ the entrance to the house divides the front section. & the house is placed behind the lake on the 95 acre farm land.

I have contracts on all the land & cant decide on the house. It’s been on market for appx 6 months. There are easement issues for the house on the property I’m buying. The house isn’t really my style & it’s way too large for us to live there (empty nesters.). Buy, I’m torn on buying house, so I can clean up property lines, possibly sale the house with property needed for this estate after fixing it up. No maintenance has been done for 10 or so years & it’s somewhat dated. The house sits on 5 acres- well on my property, geothermal drains into lake, utilities, etc. A mess.

Could possibly be a fantastic wedding venue or bed n breakfast/ Air bnb to justify $ & size of house. The bank that owns the house has been diffic & don’t really realize the state of repair the house needs.

Would love opinions on this opportunity (could be the money pit house, however I’ve gotten many repair estimates & inspections on systems - always something lurking, thou)

The house

Makes ya wanna jump right in the pool haha

View from belvedere- previous owner put trailer on property line to deter people from house while he still had the farm section

Ive gone over and over this in my head- we don’t need the house. But who will be our neighbors- will they want to purchase property to clean up easements or will we find ourselves in an “un-neighborly situation?”

Comments (20)