SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luizasolomon

Weird ducting situation -- who do I talk to?

Lys
8 years ago

So I bought a 50's ranch style house with central air on a crawlspace (gas furnace in crawl space, AC unit outside). It's my first house, and I don't know a thing about HVAC stuff, but the ducting in this house doesn't seem right to me. I've got vent openings stuffed with carpet that are not connected to anything and the crawlspace end is not capped. I've got an air return and an air intake at the end of a narrow hallway, kitty corner from each other. I've got the smallest bedroom with two air returns, the master bedroom with one, and another sizable bedroom with two air returns but no intake. [This I discovered when my daughter spread balloons all over the house and saw what they did around vents.] Some ducts are insulated some are not. There was an addition done about 25 year ago which probably contributed to this mess. And now the questions:

1. Am I right that this is a situation that needs to be addressed? (Very likely so, but I seem to be the only one in the house that sees the issue here, so I want to confirm).

2. Who do I talk to about this? Would any HVAC company be able to handle this issue, or I need to look for something more specialized? What questions should I ask? ("I've got some weird ducting, can you look at it?" is not where I would like to start :) ). Any ballpark for a price to investigate and to fix?

3. Are there any issues that can come from this situation that I should know about, other than uneven temperatures? How fast should I try to fix this? Would it have priority over, for example, insulating the attic which currently has about 1/2 inch of disintegrating blown-in insulation, or replacing two cracked windows?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Comments (3)