SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotty_karaokeguy

Long Island - Our Situation - Buying a home soon....

John Tunners
8 years ago

Hey all, my fiancee and I are first time home buyers. Great would be 750 and up, we are looking to buy at the end of the year, or wait if we need to. With our numbers run at our bank if we went with them for a loan we'd be at 3.75. We want to buy after November and before June. Our agent told us once the school season starts for people, the prices of homes may go down a little.

We are getting help with a downpayment of 150-200k and understand that it would need to be in the bank 60 days prior to wanting to buy a home. We expect the money in October thus making December or Jan our target date to get pre-approved and to start looking.

Here's the details where we are curious on what type of home we should look at in both our top range and middle range. I would like a $1500-1600 a month mortgage. That would be my whole paycheck. She makes more than me. We both equal 76,000 gross. Median for our area based upon online estimated is basically 90k. We need to live on LI because thats what she prefers, to be close to family. If it were me I would be happy with moving, but regardless we want to try to make it work here on LI with a home.

I used to think 450k and below would be good for us, the highest, but upon doing some DTI I feel that we must go lower, at the highest 399k and try to get far below that. This leaves our taxes at needing to be 8000 or below. The less, the better, and we understand we may get a smaller home - 1200-1300 square feet and we are okay with that.

We are not fully set in our careers. I switched from MR/DD to Vet Assistant work and make 4k more a year, and she got upgraded with her job and makes 7k more now, this bringing us to 76k as I had said. She can really make more money over the years. We do have cash reserves for if things get tight.

Renting is not an option as we are living with her parents and saving up currently.

Homes within our price ranges and taxes at 399 asking price and 7800 taxes at 4 percent with 200k down is $1600 a month. The same for a fixer upper at lets say a home that we see now at 339k, 60k less is $1,347 a month. Unheard of for a 3 bed 2 bath in our area, but because of the down payment it would be just that.

We have car loans that equal $410 so we need to add that to total debt.

One realistic possibility is getting a home at 150k down sooner than the 200k, which would bring our housing payment to: $1585 for the 330k home that would need updating.

We we roughly know the range of the cost of what our monthly debt would be. I'd like less and since we aren't yet set (I'm just looking to make more money, she knows what she wants to do).

Comments (59)