Rancho Gordo shout out!!! Royal Corona beans thank you.This ti

beesneeds

I'm not sure who it was that first posted Royal Corona beans from Rancho Gordo.. but thank you so very much.

It was a photo of a tasty dish of these glorious beans. And Rancho Gordo was the supplier for my bean goodness.

I got a pound in the winter... and then languished for more while folks were buying RG out! I got on the email list for when RC's were back and stock... glad I did. I put in my order just a few days ago.. it came in today. And heck if the RG site is already sold out again on the things.

After my last great order of many beans, some interesting herbs, and a now beloved pineapple vinegar.. I was very happy to get RC's again, if only for a brief time.

Looking forward to months to come as other very tasty goodies from RC become available :)

SaveComment5Like1
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sooz

I think I dood it! Then, the next day after my post, Archie posted his input along with some gorgeous bean plants! It's unfortunate that they are called Rancho Gordo Royal CORONA beans, in light of our pandemic!

Rancho Gordo Royal Corona Beans

Save    
beesneeds

No, that wasn't the thread, though that is a good thread, lol. It was a pic of the dish first, and then I learned it was RG.

Anywho, I'm just happy I got introduced to RC's. And I was able to get some more before they ran out of stock again.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Nice to see they have new stock available. They were overwhelmed at the beginning of covid. I've been a member of the RG bean club for a couple years. Steve asked that we be patient while they supply new orders assuming we all were well stocked. But gave a free shipping code in case we wanted something special we were missing during lock-down. We are well stocked.

Every 7-10 days I pick a few to soak and also make a mixed grain. Wild rice, spelt, spring or winter wheat. Sometimes fonio, lentils or quinoa added to that.

Day 3-4 if any remaining in the fridge, I freeze in 1/2 pints for quick meals or the pups get a treat.

Save    
beesneeds

That sounds tasty to mix it like that... just soaked, or soaked and cooked?

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I think you are referring to the grain?

I only soak beans. Grains like the summer/winter wheat, wild rice, spelt, fonio, lentils, quinoa, etc. are not soaked, just cooked like normal rice. They have different cooking times so a 45 minute wheat starts first, 10 minutes head start, then wild rice, then after 30 minutes I might add quinoa and/or lentils.

I just like the variety. One cup of quinoa?, or 1/4 cup each of a variety....I like the mixed flavors rather that one note.

Probably seems insane to have 30-40 varieties of beans/grains yet costs the same to have variety and mix them up. Obviously wild rice can be crazy expensive but so good. Covid wholesaler had a 5 pound bag cheap so I went for it.

I made a simple mixed grain last night and some soaked flagoletes. Then soaked some garbanzos that I just cooked today.

Last nights grain mix.

I always soak beans. Cuts way down on the cooking time. RG beans are so fresh and have different cooking times. Why heat the kitchen when soaking does help the timing.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Summer Fruits and Vegetables Summer Crops: How to Grow Beans
Grow your own beans for amazing variety and healthy, convenient produce all summer
Full Story
Decorating Guides From Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story
Houzz Call How Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story
Ackley Cabinet is an award-winning local expert for kitchen design and our unique cabinet remodeling process... Read More
Best of Houzz 2016! Our skilled team of dedicated professionals at LaurelRock Company are committed to enhancing... Read More