SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

How long do you wait to cut into a loaf?

Cloud Swift
3 years ago

Today I made my first 100% whole wheat sour dough loaf. I think I may have made 100% whole wheat yeast raised loaves before with white whole wheat, but this is definitely the first one I've done with hard red whole wheat and the first done with sour dough.

The site I got the recipe (really more a process than a recipe) from says it is best to wait 12 to 24 hours before cutting into the loaf. I'm so impatient - I want to see how the crumb came out as well as the taste. I baked it this morning to finish cooking in the morning cool to not heat up the house so it's been more than 8 hours now and the loaf has been cool for a while.

It has been interesting making this bread. The whole wheat sure soaks up the water and it rises fast. It's about 95% hydration but the dough didn't feel any wetter than 75% hydration with white bread flour. I used Central Milling whole wheat hi-pro for the loaf. The medium grind for feeding the starter and the pre-ferment, fine grind for the rest of the flour to reduce issues with a coarser bran interfering with the gluten formation.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County