SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Some New Daylilies and Some Clumps for Tuesday

shive
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Sometimes peak bloom can overload your senses. I've been so tired the last couple of days - not just from photographing, watering and weeding - but from just wandering around for hours looking at my thousands of blooms. Last night a 20-something and her boyfriend were walking past my yard. "I just want to live in your field of flowers," she said, explaining that she takes at least three walks a day now just to come by the lily house. "I could just pitch a tent, she said, and look at them all day long."

There's A Place ffe - Curt Hanson's cultivar has the bluest eye I've ever seen on a daylily. He still charges big bucks for this one, and rightly so. I bought a single fan on the Lily Auction two years ago. It didn't bloom then and got devoured by grubs that fall. I bought this one directly from Curt last fall. Pollen was spread around liberally today.

Kindred Jewel ffe - One bloom was very splotchy and the other was fairly clean. I only have a single fan, and I hope I can keep it alive.

Elizabeth Hewitt - The first bloom on this one was messed up by thrips. Then the deer ate most of the buds. So this is the first bloom I've seen on it. I bought this Blueridge pink because when I saw it in person last summer, it had such incredible plant habits.

Joan Derifield

Rip Saw clump with some Rowena Yaeger blooms in the background

Neon Flamingo

Cretaceous Crunch - Always well-budded!

Two Sues is still pumping out the blooms!

No Man's Land

Pink Aloha with its huge foliage and sprawling habit. Each new fan comes up 5-7 inches away, making the clump very broad. It's smothering the two pinks on each size of it. Such a pretty thug!

Debra

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21