MS Edge Update causing issues

dee_can1

Yesterday the two computers in my house updated to the 2020-05 Microsoft Edge Update Windows 10 vs. 1909 (KB4559309) and also (KB4497165) and the biggest issue is that my homepage that I've had for years is no longer secure or private. I think the issue is with KB4559309, something about the certification from the website not being safe (it's my internet provider's page).

I contacted my IP asking them if they are having problems with certification, but they said 'no', and that it is a Windows issue, not theirs. I changed the homepage in settings to https (which it was already (shrugs))

and it still isn't safe. Anyone else having this problem? I successfully restored one computer to an earlier date (before the update) but the restore isn't working with my laptop. I'm not sure if you need any more information, but let me know. Just wait it out? Thanks.

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elmer J Fudd

Sounds like an innocuous oddity. Maybe the ISP hasn't adapted its pages to this new browser roll-out. Why would your view of your internet provider's page need to be secure anyway?

If it gives you the opportunity to accept or proceed, agree to that. Otherwise, two choices as I see it:

1) Ignore it and click off the notice. If you get the message on a site where security is important, different story. If on this, so what?

2) Use a different browser.

Good luck.

Save     Thanked by dee_can1
dee_can1

Thanks Elmer. Everything is fine when I use Firefox, but I'm used to using Edge as my main browser, so it's more habit than anything.

The warning message on my homepage says a hacker may be trying to access my computer, and I guess I would rather browse on a secure page. It also says to secure any bank accounts, etc. Yikes. lol

It does have the option to 'go to safety' (or something like that) but it's kind of a pita to have to do that. I might stick with another browser until it gets sorted out. Thanks again.

Save    
mtvhike

With all this discussion about Edge, I thought I would see what version I have. I can't figure it out! I first went top Settings and the first item is Default browser, where I'm invited to "Do more with Microsoft Edge - the fast new browser built for Windows 10". I thought I was using Edge. Then I selected Change my default (which seems to be for all programs, not just my browser), and the only web browser listed was Ineternet Explorer. Then I went to Help and Feedback and under What's new and tips, I was saw "Introducing the new Microsoft Edge". Is there a "New Edge", and do I already have it (I do all the updates)?

I also have Chrome and mostly use it, simply because I prefer Google Search to Bing, and my personal and corporate emails are both Gmail/

1 Like Save    
dee_can1

To find out what version you have go to Settings (the 3 dots on the upper right), then go all the way down the list on the left to 'About Microsoft Edge', then you will see the version you have and it says whether you're up-to-date. Mine is version 83.0.478.45

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

If the icon is a blue and green swoosh, it's the replacement version that uses the guts of Chrome.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"I also have Chrome and mostly use it, simply because I prefer Google Search to Bing, and my personal and corporate emails are both Gmail/"

Every mainstream browser allows the user to choose the search engine. You can use Google Search on a Microsoft Browser and Bing on Chrome, mix and match or any other combination.

Save    
mtvhike

The icon on my computer is a blue "e". Also, if I select the 3 dots, there is no "about Microsoft Edge" item,

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

The new one looks like this (I hadn't before looked close enough to tell that it indeed is a form of a stylized E). On the one I have, the "about" is found by clicking on three dots, then Help and Feedback, then About Microsoft Edge. Where it says "This browser is made possible by the Chromium open source project and other open source software."

1 Like Save    
acraftylady

I have it on both computers now as well as the new version of windows and no issues I can see. Elmer informed me it's powered by chrome. I am confused about this statement though. I have always used IE and now edge and my default search is Google. Mary

"I also have Chrome and mostly use it, simply because I prefer Google Search"

1 Like Save    
dee_can1

My default search engine is Bing. I don't know what that means, though. Correction I see the above comment above about mixing and matching search engines.

I call the new icon the tsunami wave 😅... but I'm sure I'll see it differently once I get the unsafe web page sorted out. Actually I did sort it out, I went to startup (under settings/on start up) and just changed it back to 'new tab' when the browser opens so I don't get the unsafe homepage anymore. All kidding aside, I kind of like the new Edge.

Save    
mtvhike

Elmer, I found it (in a different location); I have the Legacy Edge. Is there any reason to NOT upgrade?

Save    
mikie_gw

mtvhike.. you can install the chrome-edge and maybe still keep the legacy edge if you're on an older version of windows. Or you definitely install beta chrome-edge and keep legacy.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4501095/download-the-new-microsoft-edge-based-on-chromium

I use the bing app on a cell phone and windows 10 with edge and Bing search. Usually, earn about $12 monthly from Microsoft Rewards.

Nice sometimes to save the points up and get a $25 gift card for Amazon or grocery delivery.

Save    
dadoes

Do you folks understand that a search engine is just a web site?

Default search engine simply means that when an incomplete URL or a string of words is entered into the address bar, the browser (for convenience) directs it to that search engine as a search term. Google is the default search in my Firefox but I *rarely* ever use it that way.

I type in the URL or click a bookmark for what I want to see, whether it's my banking service, this discussion board, Amazon, etc. I go directly to Google.com when I want to search with it.

I have never used Edge. Or Chrome.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"Elmer informed me it's powered by chrome. I am confused about this statement though. "

How can I help? I'll try this

To explain, think of a browser as like a car. Are you old enough to remember the 60s-70s when VW had different body styles sitting on the same car and frame? The VW Bug, the Karmann Ghia, and the VW "Station Wagen" (not the bus) , the Sedan, the convertible, the Thing? All looked different from the outside but were essentially the same car on the inside? Frame, engine, components, etc.

New Edge is based on the same technology as Chrome. The outside (user interface) resembles old Edge, but the functioning guts, the technology, the availability of third party add-ons, etc., performance, share the same code as Chrome. Microsoft tossed the poorly functioning, broken and unfixable "engine" of Edge and replaced it with Chrome's engine and transmission. If you were to ask what browser family it is, it's Chrome. It will be updated when Chrome is updated precisely because it IS Chrome inside. The user interface (what makes it look like old Edge) has nothing to do with how or how well it works.

Okay?

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"Elmer, I found it (in a different location); I have the Legacy Edge. Is there any reason to NOT upgrade?"

None that I know of.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"Do you folks understand that a search engine is just a web site?"

This is true. The search engine setting in any browser can be set to use ANY search engine website of any sponsor.

Save    
mtvhike

As I understand it, the default search engine for the Chrome browser is Google; the default search engine for Edge is Bing. I'm concluding that because for each of these browsers, if you click + for a new page, the respective search engines load. I don't know what the default SE is for Internet Explorer (my computer uses Bing, but maybe that's because is my computer came with factory installed Win10.

Save    
dadoes

Chrome was developed by Google so of course Google would be the default search engine for it.

Bing is Microsoft's search engine so it reasonably would be the default for IE, and presumably Edge.

Here are some instruction on how to add to the choice of integrated search engines in various browsers
Add Any Search Engine to Your Browser

Being that all search engines are just web sites, any search can be used with any browser, without changing the settings, by simply going directly to it as one does via the URL for any web site.
17 Great Search Engines You Can Use Instead of Google

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Default doesn't mean anything, mtv.

Each browser has an easily found search engine setting and for any, the search engine choice is up to the user and can be very easily changed to anything you want. Every search engine works seamlessly with every browser. Even Duck Duck Go, which I think is a waste of time but some like it. Stick to the mainstream ones.

Save    
mtvhike

Before Google there was my favorite, Alta Vista.

Save    
dadoes

Yahoo! bought AltaVista in 2003. Shut it down as a separate search seven years ago. The domain name still exists and is functional but redirects to Yahoo!
http:///www.altavista.com

Save    
dadoes

I've received WinUpdate notices on my Win7 systems for "Microsoft Edge Update for Windows 7." Goofy. Win7 never previously had Edge, and Win 7 is officially out-of-support ... apparently not so much, LOL. Someone is desperate to get the Chrome/Edge into the world.

Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

Yeah, I think I read they may even port it to Linux.

I use Firefox as my primary and Google Chrome as a backup so probably won't install Microsoft Edge in Linux.

BTW, there's a secret(?) game in the new Edge.

edge:surf

https://www.howtogeek.com/659743/how-to-play-microsoft-edges-secret-surfing-game/

I looked at it but I'm not a gamer. If I was, I'd probably want the surfer going away from me (the direction my eyes are pointed) instead of surfing toward me. :)

The new Edge might be based on Chromium, as is Google Chrome but since Chromium is "FREE and open source", they can modify and distribute it with any search engine they choose. I briefly looked at it in Windows but didn't notice the search engine but, not surprisingly, it looks to be Bing: https://www.howtogeek.com/221709/how-to-change-your-default-search-engine-in-microsoft-edge/

Which might partially answer the question: "Why?"

Revenue? Folks will actually use the new Edge instead of installing Google Chrome or Firefox and using someone else's search engine. Yes a search engine is changeable but I suspect most people don't bother, or know how.

Just guessing of course.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Cabinets How to Update Your Kitchen Cabinets With Paint
A pro gives advice on when and how to paint your cabinets. Get the step-by-step
Full Story
Decluttering 6 Common Causes of Clutter and Their Cures
Life changes, decision avoidance and a lack of efficient systems can be contributing factors
Full Story
Most Popular Is This the Year Blue and Green Kitchen Cabinets Edge Out White?
Neutrals still dominate cabinet color. But some of the most popular recent kitchens on Houzz tell a different story
Full Story