SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlinek

Induction Cooktop: Installed 30" Frigidaire PROFESSIONAL FPIC3095MS

arlinek
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I thought I would write a little (well, not so little) about MY experience & costs since so few remarks or comments have been found here about this brand and model. I've had it for about 10 days now. Had to convert to 220 V., of course - that was about $650 cost with my DH helping the electrician feed wires to the panel, through our wall and ceiling from the kitchen, through the garage ceiling and down to the panel outside - about 45 feet (Calif. charges - but really had to negotiate! - got estimates from $1200 to $800). I had a gas cooktop prior.

I am an avid and serious cook and research to death anything I'm considering. I was wavering bet. the 30" Bosch and this 30" Frigidaire. Was even debating about finding a hybrid - half gas/half induction, even importing one from Europe. But, members here convinced me to take the plunge ... and I am DELIGHTED!! In addition, I did find here one other buyer who was kind enough to allow me to call her about her usage and she was wonderful in answering all my questions! Yes, had to give away about 20 pots and pans but was able to keep a few. The first week was a real learning curve for me (less so now, but still have room to learn more). Every water item I boiled from full tea kettle to 3/4 full pot managed to boil over vociferously and so quickly, I learned to NOT EVER make a run to the ladies room!!! Twice the top shut off when the water spilled all over the controls area - apparently it's quite sensitive (are they all like that?) - the book DOES warn about it. It shouldn't happen again. And it even went into control lock, but not sure if *I* caused that or the spilled water did. Took a few min. before it would release but I think it was due to opr. error.

I truly love this top. I picked it due to four main factors: price was $1K less than the Bosch (so, no timers on the burners, which I knew I wouldn't really use) and true, there's no 'official' bridge (but I had confirmed I could still bridge bet. two burners on the Frig. without issues but no heat in between - fine for me - I only bridge two burners when making sauces or gravies, which I'm always stirring and moving around anyway); the depth of this still allowed me to keep my 30" wide utensil drawer directly below it, which was VITAL - (some units are deeper and would have prevented that); the largest - and front - burner is very "forgiving" and will cook with pans most any size (some brands require very precise & exact pan sizes) - I've used from 6" to 10" sized pans on that largest burner without issues; and, its overall look and burner placements. I have no regrets whatsoever. It cooks beautifully and so responsively, from "keep warm" to full-blast power (1500W to 3400W - on high power). I am absolutely loving induction cooking and also will already say I much prefer it over gas and wouldn't want to go back.

I kept going to numerous websites and forums to confirm serious cooks' continued love of switching to induction - that was my biggest fear (regretting same). But nope - I am soooo glad I did. Things just in general cook faster and more evenly; I can go from full power to instant low in one second - the full roiling boil stops instantly.

This has the up/down arrows with about 17-18 different heat levels, i.e. - 1 then 1.5, 2 then 2.5, etc. - the last three levels 7-8-9 are in whole increments, plus full blast power, of course - only used to bring liquids to a very fast boil - then you reduce your heat. Some cooks here mentioned that they only want the sliding bar controls, not the up/down type. But, for me: it's so fast & responsive when I change to a diff. power level that I honestly don't think it's any faster than the slide bar and I like that my cooktop looks less cluttered with the long sliding bar a few others have. I'd say it takes me 2 or so seconds to change from a very high pwr. to a very low, especially bec. I don't have to count all the way down from, say a 9 power to a 2. If I was at 9 level, I'd then hit the down arrow which instantly brings me to level 1 and then just go up. By holding my finger down on the arrows, it very rapidly (split seconds) raises or lower the levels; it would prob. be just as fast to hold my finger over the down arrow to reach level 2 just as quickly - it's that fast.

You can only have TWO burners on full power/burst at one time - it shares the power so that's why - and is quite common, except for a few. But, can't imagine ever needing more than two pots to bring to a full, roiling boil at the same time - unless you're delivering a friend's baby, I guess. (Sorta like "Gone with the Wind" perhaps?)

My one observation of a critique: I'm using, as I knew I would, mainly the largest burner on the right in the front - my preference for locale. The leading perimeter edge facing the center of the cooktop seems to be heating at a slightly hotter temp. than the rest of the burner. I notice food gets browner first and slightly more quickly along that far edge. I made Swedish Pancakes today and it was noticeable. I will call for service this coming week - it's modest but I'd like it remedied, though nothing I couldn't live with.

FYI - from my research, using the Windex product called "Crystal Rain" (clear lavender in color) cleans the top beautifully - I'm VERY pleased with it. Spray and use a paper towel and the top glistens. I love the smooth, glossy look of this top, no handles, has stainless steel frame on two sides, takes seconds to clean instead of 20-25 min. to clean my former stainless gas top and the counter just looks so "neat and tidy" now.

Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions; I'm happy to help anyone as most of you all have done for me. I'm clearly in my 'honeymoon' phase and will definitely update this down the line if anything crops up worthy of mention. Including a pic of the top.

arline

Comments (9)