SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

100% whole wheat bread

Lars
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I thought we had flour here in Los Angeles, but all we have here at the moment is whole wheat, and I needed to bake bread yesterday. So I looked for whole wheat recipes and found one on line that I sort of liked, but then I combined it with Annie's recipe, and here's what I came up with:

1-1/4 cups warm water

2 tsp instant dry yeast

1/3 cup honey

1 egg

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

2 Tbsp powdered milk

4 cups whole wheat flour (up to 4-1/4 cups, if needed)

1 teaspoon kosher salt

Mix the honey with the warm water in a large bowl and add the yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to proof.

Add the egg, butter, and powdered milk, and whisk to combine.

Stir in 2-1/4 cups of the flour until combined.

Stir in an additional 1-1/2 cups flour and the salt, until dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl. This can be done with a dough hook in the mixer.

Knead on floured surface, adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup additional flour, until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. This can also be done mostly in the mixer.

Place dough in large oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about one hour.

Oil a 9x5-inch loaf pan with olive oil.

Punch down the dough and fold it over several times, and then shape it into a loaf. Place in oiled pan, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to one hour.

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Uncover dough, and put in oven. Reduce heat to 375°. Bake for 35 minutes, or until internal temperature is 200°. Remove from pan onto wire rack, and butter top and sides, for a softer crust.

I used a metal pan that I thought was non-stick, but the bread did stick a bit - probably because I did not oil it enough. As you can see, the bread has one droopy ear, possibly because I let the dough rise too long in the pan, but this is of little concern to me - it still holds together. I like the glass pan better, but the bread got done faster in the metal pan.

This is the first time (that I can remember) that I have made 100% whole wheat bread. I may have made it before and didn't like it because it was too dense, but this loaf is very light and soft. It also has a very good flavor and texture. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but I will be making this recipe again.

Normally I use 1 Tbsp of VWG per cup of whole wheat flour, but I didn't have any here, and so I could not do that. Also, I was going to try adding 1/4 tsp of ascorbic acid, which I have but couldn't easily find, and so I left it out. It doesn't seem to need it.

How would you avoid the droopy ear? I think perhaps the recipe is too large for this pan, and I might try using my Pullman pan next time, but it of course is also metal. My whole wheat Pullman recipe uses 4-3/4 cups flour total, but it is half bread flour and half whole wheat. I think I like this 100% whole wheat better.

Comments (17)